9 (16.1%)
Down
8 (14.3%)
Armagh
13 (23.2%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closes: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

tonto1888

Quote from: illdecide on April 25, 2024, 09:38:06 AMAs for Armagh game...Armagh will always give you good chances in a game and if you take most of them then you'll be in touching distance, if you fail they'll have a wee spell where they can pull away from you easily and game could be over (this is for the lesser teams BTW). Armagh are very unpredictable and could win by 1-2 pts or 15pts it's all down to the other teams taking the chances Armagh give them in the game.
What we have seen so far in Ulster is the favourite's are getting their balls slapped so hope this is different and Armagh have taken note of the previous weeks, a sending off or lose goal or two and anything can happen but I expect Armagh to win by 5-6pts as they should have too much for Down

not exactly true as we didnt have any issues against Fermanagh

Targetman

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 25, 2024, 12:00:17 PM
Quote from: illdecide on April 25, 2024, 09:38:06 AMAs for Armagh game...Armagh will always give you good chances in a game and if you take most of them then you'll be in touching distance, if you fail they'll have a wee spell where they can pull away from you easily and game could be over (this is for the lesser teams BTW). Armagh are very unpredictable and could win by 1-2 pts or 15pts it's all down to the other teams taking the chances Armagh give them in the game.
What we have seen so far in Ulster is the favourite's are getting their balls slapped so hope this is different and Armagh have taken note of the previous weeks, a sending off or lose goal or two and anything can happen but I expect Armagh to win by 5-6pts as they should have too much for Down

And realistically you shouldn't have any issues on Saturday evening either

yellowcard

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 25, 2024, 09:12:54 AMI didn't see the Derry/Donegal match, but I am seriously impressed by any team allegedly out played who's best players were stymied but still managed 17 points. Goals win games but can be prevented. it was 15 scores to 17.

I can never understand this post match analysis which counts the number of scores rather than total up the number of points. There is a reason why a goal is worth 3 points and that is because they are supposed to be much more difficult to score.

Mickey Harte has yet to prove that he can adapt tactically to prevent goal chances against his side while still carrying a goal threat at the other end of the pitch. He did neither last weekend.   

Captain Obvious

Quote from: yellowcard on April 25, 2024, 02:36:36 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 25, 2024, 09:12:54 AMI didn't see the Derry/Donegal match, but I am seriously impressed by any team allegedly out played who's best players were stymied but still managed 17 points. Goals win games but can be prevented. it was 15 scores to 17.

I can never understand this post match analysis which counts the number of scores rather than total up the number of points. There is a reason why a goal is worth 3 points and that is because they are supposed to be much more difficult to score.

Mickey Harte has yet to prove that he can adapt tactically to prevent goal chances against his side while still carrying a goal threat at the other end of the pitch. He did neither last weekend.   

The latter was in no small part to the way Donegal set up. Derry was scoring goals for fun coming into last weekends game.

illdecide

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 25, 2024, 12:00:17 PM

True, but Fermanagh didn't take the early chances we gave them
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Norm-Peterson

I see that the Derry Journal journalist wrote an article complaining about Derry fans reaction to the defeat. He said that they aren't real supporters. That is rich for him to say, he probably gets free tickets to the games. It is his job to go to the games.

tbrick18

Quote from: yellowcard on April 25, 2024, 02:36:36 PM

The total number of scores is vs the actual score can give a view on the game though. If I score 10pts and you score 4 goals, I've got 6 more scores, so likely had more possession in the scoring zone than you did, but didn't create goal chances. Whereas you had less possession in the scoring zone but did create goal chances. It's just a form of comparison, doesn't dilute the  margin of victory.
The scoring statistics I always think is a better stat comparatively speaking. Derry with 17/34 chances tells a story in itself.

I do agree with your comment on Harte though.

AnDúnAbú94

https://www.irishnews.com/gaa/gaelic-football/conor-laverty-down-wanted-ulster-semi-final-in-newry-or-armagh-2QBCPLRMBFGZDHPISRSMYPU26A/

Interesting one. Seems the offer was there for a coin flip for Newry or Armagh was there. Down were up for it but Armagh said no. Bad form from Armagh county board or whoever made that call if so.

Armagh18

Quote from: AnDúnAbú94 on April 25, 2024, 09:52:35 PMhttps://www.irishnews.com/gaa/gaelic-football/conor-laverty-down-wanted-ulster-semi-final-in-newry-or-armagh-2QBCPLRMBFGZDHPISRSMYPU26A/

Interesting one. Seems the offer was there for a coin flip for Newry or Armagh was there. Down were up for it but Armagh said no. Bad form from Armagh county board or whoever made that call if so.
Kilcoo cute hoorism. Bit late bringing it up now Laverty. Although Newry or Armagh would have been far handier.

AnDúnAbú94

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 25, 2024, 10:01:02 PM
Quote from: AnDúnAbú94 on April 25, 2024, 09:52:35 PMhttps://www.irishnews.com/gaa/gaelic-football/conor-laverty-down-wanted-ulster-semi-final-in-newry-or-armagh-2QBCPLRMBFGZDHPISRSMYPU26A/

Kilcoo cute hoorism. Bit late bringing it up now Laverty. Although Newry or Armagh would have been far handier.

In fairness, from my reading of that, it seems like he was asked about it and gave an answer rather than trying to play mind games or anything.

downtothecore

Newry or Armagh would have had a full house so opportunity lost for good crowd and  atmosphere. I guess the mighty Armagh would prefer a trot out in clones to help prepare for the ulster final...

yellowcard

It's laughable to hear Laverty citing economic reasons for wanting the teams to toss for home venue. The reality is that he hoped to win the toss and play the game in Newry where he thought they might have a chance, it's got nothing to do with economic reasons.

Most supporters would have been happy with that arrangement given the cost and inconvenience of travelling to Clones but if last year is anything to go by, the Down fans will be vastly outnumbered. Plus Armagh have a good record in Clones and I'm not sure whether Down have a great record. Laverty knows that so he wanted to give his side the best possible chance which is understandable. He is just being disingenuous for the reason.

screenexile

Good idea that why not toss for a home venue in Semi Finals?!

onefineday

Quote from: screenexile on Today at 12:07:33 AMGood idea that why not toss for a home venue in Semi Finals?!
On a related note, is the first time Celtic park has been used as a venue for a non-Derry championship game? I can't recall any other occasion anyway.