Ulster SFC 2014

Started by quiganmaster, April 20, 2014, 09:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quiganmaster

Sorry if there already is a thread for this, can't see one! Personally I think that any of 6 teams can win it. Donegal would be my favourites, they've discovered a few players in the league and they are very difficult to beat in the championship. Monaghan would be next, very powerful looking team and going very well in the league. Will take a lot of confidence from last year. Then I would have Derry/Down/Tyrone/Cavan. Derry have been going well in the league and have a gem of a manager. If they get through the tough first round tie with Donegal, I wouldn't be suprised if they won it. You can never rule out tyrone, they have a great set of forwards but need to work on their defence. Down are ticking away nicely in division 2 and are starting to get their full squad back. The big question of the championship is will Cavan be able to translate underage success into seniors. In conclusion, we have a mighty championship ahead of us folks, any team listed could win it, even Armagh could spring a surprise. What's everyone else's views on the USFC ahead? Any players to look out for etc?

Walter Cronc

Agree very exciting Ulster Championship in store.

For me I'd rate teams in the following order in terms of favourites and potential winners.

Donegal

Derry, Tyrone, Monaghan

Down, Cavan

Armagh

Fermanagh

Antrim

Players to watch for me and could have a big summer include.

Donegal - O. Mac Nailis
Derry - C. O'Boyle
Tyrone - M. Donnelly
Cavan - M.Argue

Throw ball

Personally I would put the order as

Donegal/Derry
Tyrone/Monaghan
Cavan
Armagh/Down
Fermanagh
Antrim

From an Armagh perspective a win over Cavan is possibly the height of our ambition. On saying that we are not as bad as some would make you think. If we have close to a full squad available a bit of luck could see us spring a few surprises.

J70

Don't think we can justify being favourites at this point, we've a lot to prove after last season and an average enough league performance this year. Plus, isn't defending-in-numbers now officially dead?  :P
If we put in a good performance and beat Derry, then maybe, but I think we've a lot to prove.
Tyrone to resume their perennial favourites tag for me.

quiganmaster

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 20, 2014, 09:34:17 PM
Agree very exciting Ulster Championship in store.

For me I'd rate teams in the following order in terms of favourites and potential winners.

Donegal

Derry, Tyrone, Monaghan

Down, Cavan

Armagh

Fermanagh

Antrim

Players to watch for me and could have a big summer include.

Donegal - O. Mac Nailis
Derry - C. O'Boyle
Tyrone - M. Donnelly
Cavan - M.Argue

Yeah definitely! Have enjoyed caolans goal threat this year already, could be the thing that derry sides have lacked the past number of years. I heard argue read up in under 21s, must be a right player. Mattie Donnelly was brilliant for uuj big year ahead for him. I can see enda Lynn having a big year from derry and also young McCurry from tyrone is a classy classy footballer!

J OGorman

Derry / Donegal / Monaghan / Tyrone

Down / Cavan / Armagh

Fermanagh

Antrim

- Armagh could surprise a few the year. The Derry Donegal game will be an interesting one. Tyrone should be safe enough in rd 1 with home advantage and a super forward unit. You'd fear for Antrim, the Saffrons seems like a one legged dog at the minute

rodney trotter

Ulster is very open - Derry look good but I wouldn't say they are formediable either. Tyrone defence was very poor in the League,so they will need to tighten up, Monaghan and Donegal meet in the League final, should be interesting game. If Cavan had Gearoid McKiernan last year we probaly would have beaten Monaghan, so he will be a plus going into the championship.

babarino

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 20, 2014, 09:56:35 PM
If Cavan had Gearoid McKiernan last year we probaly would have beaten Monaghan, so he will be a plus going into the championship.

If your aunt had testicles she'd be your uncle and if the legitimate goal had stood we'd have gone to beat you by more.

rodney trotter

Quote from: babarino on April 20, 2014, 10:22:10 PM
If Cavan had Gearoid McKiernan last year we probaly would have beaten Monaghan, so he will be a plus going into the championship.

If your aunt had testicles she'd be your uncle and if the legitimate goal had stood we'd have gone to beat you by more.

Hopefully we meet this year.

BennyCake

It's Donegal's, Tyrone's, Derry's or Monaghan's to lose.

Itchy

Quote from: babarino on April 20, 2014, 10:22:10 PM

I'm betting your Aunt does have testicles.

Itchy

The mad thing is that out of 2 of the favourites, Derry & Donegal, one will be out in the first round. I believe Cavan are better than Armagh but I wouldn't be surprised if Armagh won. Monaghan will be hard bet and obviously Tyrone are still a force. I think Donegal will win Ulster.

Black Card

Quote from: Itchy on April 21, 2014, 11:29:12 AM
The mad thing is that out of 2 of the favourites, Derry & Donegal, one will be out in the first round. I believe Cavan are better than Armagh but I wouldn't be surprised if Armagh won. Monaghan will be hard bet and obviously Tyrone are still a force. I think Donegal will win Ulster.

You would be alone there, Armagh are totally inept all over.  First round exit, maybe one qualifier win and then get rid of Grimley!

Shrewdness

Will be keeping a look out this summer for Donegal's Darach O'Connor. He's a son of Former Roscommon legend, John 'Jigger' O'Connor. I think he's only around 19, but have been hearing good things about him.

BennyCake

Quote from: Black Card on April 21, 2014, 12:35:23 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 21, 2014, 11:29:12 AM

You would be alone there, Armagh are totally inept all over.  First round exit, maybe one qualifier win and then get rid of Grimley!

Getting rid of Grimley is not going to dramatically propel us to AI contenders.  We have a very average squad. It wouldn't matter who was in charge.