Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2022, 12:54:17 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2022, 12:47:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2022, 12:39:53 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2022, 12:34:33 PM
Parents are the main educators of children.

Full stop.

The parents of the kids with the up the ra T-shirts have done sterling work so far ;)

Depends on what their parents' outlook on the Ra is I suppose?

I'd compare that with children (and parents of course) who wear poppies in November.  They are supporting the terrorists of the BA/RUC and their loyalist colleagues.

That's what a poppy symnolies.

Why are you always comparing with 'them' when it's not part of the conversation? It doesn't add to the discussion.

Says the man who, in a thread about teachers, brought 'up the Ra t-shirts' into it.

:)

delgany

Quote from: trailer on August 16, 2022, 01:26:08 PM
One simple solution to a lot of teaching issues would be to make teachers move schools every 5-7 years. Keep it fresh for the teachers, the students and the parents. Make them interview for new jobs. Would raise the standard and stop teachers from punching in time.
You could do it with most of the CS jobs apart from maybe health.

An impractical idea !  Schools do refresh their workforce but not every 5-7 years, too much upheaval.Parents and pupils actually appreciate continuity of care provided by teachers and CAs/ staff. A few posters on here seem to have issues with teaching standards in Ireland.( and yes they can vary ) but the standards of reading and maths for 10 year olds and 14 years olds, places Ireland in the top 10 countries in the world. And before you lose the will to live - this is an international acclaimed research study  called PIRLS and TIMMS)

John Martin

One simple solution to a lot of teaching issues would be to make teachers move schools every 5-7 years. Keep it fresh for the teachers, the students and the parents. Make them interview for new jobs. Would raise the standard and stop teachers from punching in time.

I'm working as an assistant teacher in Japan at the minute and they have a system like that where all public school teachers move between schools. It varies on where they are needed but most would move on every 5-7 years. I thought it was weird at first but I can see the merits in it now.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2022, 01:42:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2022, 12:54:17 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2022, 12:47:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2022, 12:39:53 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2022, 12:34:33 PM
Parents are the main educators of children.

Full stop.

The parents of the kids with the up the ra T-shirts have done sterling work so far ;)

Depends on what their parents' outlook on the Ra is I suppose?

I'd compare that with children (and parents of course) who wear poppies in November.  They are supporting the terrorists of the BA/RUC and their loyalist colleagues.

That's what a poppy symnolies.

Why are you always comparing with 'them' when it's not part of the conversation? It doesn't add to the discussion.

Says the man who, in a thread about teachers, brought 'up the Ra t-shirts' into it.

:)

Yeah and you still brought in the RUC into it, do you feel the UVF are a terrorist group?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: delgany on August 16, 2022, 01:50:08 PM

An impractical idea !  Schools do refresh their workforce but not every 5-7 years, too much upheaval.Parents and pupils actually appreciate continuity of care provided by teachers and CAs/ staff. A few posters on here seem to have issues with teaching standards in Ireland.( and yes they can vary ) but the standards of reading and maths for 10 year olds and 14 years olds, places Ireland in the top 10 countries in the world. And before you lose the will to live - this is an international acclaimed research study  called PIRLS and TIMMS)

Quote from: John Martin on August 16, 2022, 01:51:17 PM
I'm working as an assistant teacher in Japan at the minute and they have a system like that where all public school teachers move between schools. It varies on where they are needed but most would move on every 5-7 years. I thought it was weird at first but I can see the merits in it now.

Well it only took one post to disprove it as an impractical idea. Japan and I think Australia do it as well.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on August 16, 2022, 02:09:57 PM

Well it only took one post to disprove it as an impractical idea. Japan and I think Australia do it as well.

Do they stay locally or travel all over? What if your kid had a great teacher for the year and then some dud comes in? Christ you'd be pissed off
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2022, 02:11:56 PM

Do they stay locally or travel all over? What if your kid had a great teacher for the year and then some dud comes in? Christ you'd be pissed off

It should root out the bad ones. Or at least identify them for more training. They'll build reputations, need references etc.

John Martin

I'm in quite a rural area and teachers are expected to be able to travel up to 1 hour when they move schools. It's bound to be super stressful because you only get a few weeks notice from what I understand. If you are in a big city I'd guess moving schools would be a little easier.

Barnster

On the inspections is it not undermined when schools get notice?

delgany

Quote from: trailer on August 16, 2022, 02:20:38 PM

It should root out the bad ones. Or at least identify them for more training. They'll build reputations, need references etc.

So you think on the word of one person, who said there were some merit in changing staff every 5 years, in Japan,    confirms your point of view.  Yet , the staffing expert in Japan ( presuming  that they worked in a Japanese state school as opposed to an international ex- pat one !) havent substantiated any of these positives. Christ Almighty....

John Martin

Just to be clear here. I was just stating the fact that it happens in Japan. There are positive and negative aspects to it as with most things.

trailer

Quote from: delgany on August 16, 2022, 03:02:59 PM

So you think on the word of one person, who said there were some merit in changing staff every 5 years, in Japan,    confirms your point of view.  Yet , the staffing expert in Japan ( presuming  that they worked in a Japanese state school as opposed to an international ex- pat one !) havent substantiated any of these positives. Christ Almighty....

You said it was impractical. I'm saying it isn't. The fact it is done elsewhere proves it is not impractical. You mightn't like it and that's fine but it is not an impractical idea.

Milltown Row2

Trailer would you be happy with losing a great teacher for a dud? do you think thats ok? Would you complain about it or just accept it cause they do it in Japan?  ;)

tonto1888

Go on. Explain how it found be done with most CS jobs. I don't agree it's practical for teachers either by the way

delgany

Quote from: trailer on August 16, 2022, 03:20:20 PM
Quote from: delgany on August 16, 2022, 03:02:59 PM

You said it was impractical. I'm saying it isn't. The fact it is done elsewhere proves it is not impractical. You mightn't like it and that's fine but it is not an impractical idea.

It is wholly impractical to change a staff every 5-7 years, for a wide range of reasons:-
1. A school's whole provision for continuous improvement wouldnt be achievable, as you need a core of permanent staff to implement.
2. Schools do not have a HR department - Schools rely on Governors/Boards of Management to make appointments -
3. Your idea - would imply - that school's would lose their best staff that they have invested lots of money into training to meet the needs of their school ( for the benefit of some other school.
4. As suggested - if you keep changing schools every 5 years - you arent invested in that school, just looking for the next move  etc etc
5. Continuity of care isnt sustained
6. The school managers would spend too much time developing subject leaders, co ordinators , key stage leaders etc etc

I do agree that it is beneficial to refresh the staff with new members, but constantly changing staff for the sake of it, leads to greater problems than benefits,imo