Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2020, 10:03:17 AM
Quote from: marty34 on December 20, 2020, 10:01:06 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 20, 2020, 01:16:48 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on December 20, 2020, 12:59:49 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2020, 11:48:21 PM
Is that more so now or was it happening all the time?

I've no memory of it being at thing

I can only comment on the last 11 years but it's always been like that in my time of teaching. I taught in a school were 26 children out of 28 did transfer. 20 of them got an A. They were all tutored in some shape or form. The P7 curriculum was mixed in with the P6 curriculum, their homework was based around transfer, past papers a few times a week in school, morning transfer clubs, transfer packs for the summer holidays etc. The parents gave the usual talk that they aren't pressuring them to do it etc. They were. It was a culture ingrained in the local area. All that pressure on 10/11 year olds. Disgraceful. It was more or less the same in all the transfer schools I taught in. The exception being one in Antrim. It was an extremely deprived area. The parents simply couldn't afford to get the kids tutored.

My local schools have nowhere near that sort of pressure. The children all know that they're either going to Lismore or St. Ronan's, with the exception of a few in each school. Literally no worrying about what grade they're going to need.

My wains all done transfer. School done no prep. We didn't get them tutored,they all passed and have gone to grammar. We are from working class background,I just went with flow and it's worker well, we were very easy going about it,I see the serious failings in system but at same time glad wains got grammar education

What's the difference between a grammar school education and a secondary school education?
Differentiation. Apparently.

But all schools differentiate.

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 20, 2020, 10:06:29 AM

I can only comment on the last 11 years but it's always been like that in my time of teaching. I taught in a school were 26 children out of 28 did transfer. 20 of them got an A. They were all tutored in some shape or form. The P7 curriculum was mixed in with the P6 curriculum, their homework was based around transfer, past papers a few times a week in school, morning transfer clubs, transfer packs for the summer holidays etc. The parents gave the usual talk that they aren't pressuring them to do it etc. They were. It was a culture ingrained in the local area. All that pressure on 10/11 year olds. Disgraceful. It was more or less the same in all the transfer schools I taught in. The exception being one in Antrim. It was an extremely deprived area. The parents simply couldn't afford to get the kids tutored.

My local schools have nowhere near that sort of pressure. The children all know that they're either going to Lismore or St. Ronan's, with the exception of a few in each school. Literally no worrying about what grade they're going to need.

My wains all done transfer. School done no prep. We didn't get them tutored,they all passed and have gone to grammar. We are from working class background,I just went with flow and it's worker well, we were very easy going about it,I see the serious failings in system but at same time glad wains got grammar education

What's the difference between a grammar school education and a secondary school education?

Quality of teaching unfortunately certainly in boys schools here. Girls getting closer in standard. Most of the secondary schools in Derry don't even offer full range of A levels

Fear, quantify 'quality of teaching'.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on December 20, 2020, 10:25:01 AM
Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2020, 10:03:17 AM

Differentiation. Apparently.

But all schools differentiate.

I withdrew that above. Quality of courses delivered is the big difference along with the environment in which they are delivered. Unfair of me to say anything about teaching ability. It wasn't my intention.

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 20, 2020, 09:47:08 AM
Any child or adult doing any exams will prep, who turns up and doesn't prepare?

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Looking at and doing past papers is standard ffs.

The system is wrong I'm not disagreeing with you, certainly looking at the age is one way, but having streamed schools is better than throwing them altogether with different learning abilities.

So whether it's a grammar school or a properly streamed comprehensive school, it'll be doing the same thing.

Even my shitty secondary school was streamed, not that it made a pile a difference, rioting, watching stolen cars on the pitch, and hurling and football was the only show in town

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying you agree with the transfer or not? If there was no transfer then we wouldn't have this problem of children having to prepare for a test at 10/11. We do tests in school throughout the year as well. They have the usual weekly spelling tests and reading assessments etc. They get tested plenty throughout their primary school life. But then the transfer schools take it to the next level. It carries such pressure and importance that the children are freaking  out and it's starts to be talked about in the middle of P5. For 95% of the children doing it there is no way of getting an A without all that preparation and tutoring.

JimStynes

Also back to my original question, why is Weir all for the transfer if it is more beneficial for these Catholic grammars?

JimStynes

Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2020, 11:00:19 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on December 20, 2020, 10:53:11 AM
Also back to my original question, why is Weir all for the transfer if it is more beneficial for these Catholic grammars?
The transfer test(s) isn't a Catholic/Protestant thing.

Both sides do the tests to get into grammar schools.

Yes, but why are Weir and DUP pro transfer test?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on December 20, 2020, 10:46:45 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 20, 2020, 09:47:08 AM
Any child or adult doing any exams will prep, who turns up and doesn't prepare?

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Looking at and doing past papers is standard ffs.

The system is wrong I'm not disagreeing with you, certainly looking at the age is one way, but having streamed schools is better than throwing them altogether with different learning abilities.

So whether it's a grammar school or a properly streamed comprehensive school, it'll be doing the same thing.

Even my shitty secondary school was streamed, not that it made a pile a difference, rioting, watching stolen cars on the pitch, and hurling and football was the only show in town

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying you agree with the transfer or not? If there was no transfer then we wouldn't have this problem of children having to prepare for a test at 10/11. We do tests in school throughout the year as well. They have the usual weekly spelling tests and reading assessments etc. They get tested plenty throughout their primary school life. But then the transfer schools take it to the next level. It carries such pressure and importance that the children are freaking  out and it's starts to be talked about in the middle of P5. For 95% of the children doing it there is no way of getting an A without all that preparation and tutoring.

I'm for streaming schools, the process of getting there is down to a test to separate the different levels.

How we do that is debatable, test at 11? Or we have comprehensive schools that do it at another age, either way we'll have one complaining about the pressure. As I've said the pressure is something that's been generated by parents of millennials  snowflake generation.

As for it being a religious thing, I've never seen that, if the DUP are for it then SF will be against it, that's my take on NI politics
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2020, 11:18:46 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on December 20, 2020, 11:11:50 AM
Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2020, 11:00:19 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on December 20, 2020, 10:53:11 AM
The transfer test(s) isn't a Catholic/Protestant thing.

Both sides do the tests to get into grammar schools.

Yes, but why are Weir and DUP pro transfer test?
Lots of people are, for numerous reasons.
For Weir & the DUP - it is likely a class thing.

Because themmuns are agin it is my best guess.

FermGael

So we are going to go to remote learning from the 25th if January for non exam classes at secondary.
Weir is absolutely desperate to preserve the 11 plus and Maths/English modular GCSEs in January
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Milltown Row2

Quote from: FermGael on December 21, 2020, 01:55:51 PM
So we are going to go to remote learning from the 25th if January for non exam classes at secondary.
Weir is absolutely desperate to preserve the 11 plus and Maths/English modular GCSEs in January

I'm lost!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

FermGael

The GL transfer test is that weekend of the 25th
11 plus gets done and then we cut the pupils in secondary school .
About 3 weeks too late.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ONeill

I'll not be told what to do but here's a wee gesture.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 20, 2020, 10:06:29 AM

Quality of teaching unfortunately certainly in boys schools here. Girls getting closer in standard. Most of the secondary schools in Derry don't even offer full range of A levels
I wouldn't agree with that in relation to Armagh and I know people with wains at Campbell, Methody etc. wouldn't agree with it either. These big schools don't tend to be top dogs academically but because they have money they are able to offer a lot more extra-curricural activities and that appeals to a lot of people.

Lots of grammar school teachers can get away with murder because a good proportion of the pupils don't need spoon fed. I know from my boys grammar school there are some very average teachers and some lazy teachers. It's the teachers busting a gut in a secondary and achieving results beyond expectations that are the better teachers imo.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2020, 02:42:30 PM
Yip, secondary school teachers tend to be very hard working and generally they're dead on too.
There are exceptions to every rule.