Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: muppet on October 27, 2016, 02:22:35 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 26, 2016, 09:23:31 PM
Career average earnings for pensions

More incentive for people to get into management earlier

Yip, like I said, those on pension already = laughing.

Question though.

If you had, for example, 20 years service when they introduced the career average pension, would you keep your earned final salary benefit (for the 20 years done) and then get career average for the other 20 years service? Or did everyone go completely from final salary to career average instantly when it was introduced?
new entrants go onto the newer scheme
existing teachers stayed on their old scheme

there are so many different contracts in teaching since 2005 you have to be careful as different teachers are on completely different rates of pay and terms
pre 2005 teachers can retire earlier, on better pensions

I'm hugely in favour of reform of the pension situation, despite being on the better pension!

the INTO have completely sold out younger teachers for the last 15 years trying to safeguard the retirement pots for their older members

muppet

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 27, 2016, 03:56:14 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 27, 2016, 02:22:35 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 26, 2016, 09:23:31 PM
Career average earnings for pensions

More incentive for people to get into management earlier

Yip, like I said, those on pension already = laughing.

Question though.

If you had, for example, 20 years service when they introduced the career average pension, would you keep your earned final salary benefit (for the 20 years done) and then get career average for the other 20 years service? Or did everyone go completely from final salary to career average instantly when it was introduced?
new entrants go onto the newer scheme
existing teachers stayed on their old scheme

there are so many different contracts in teaching since 2005 you have to be careful as different teachers are on completely different rates of pay and terms
pre 2005 teachers can retire earlier, on better pensions

I'm hugely in favour of reform of the pension situation, despite being on the better pension!

the INTO have completely sold out younger teachers for the last 15 years trying to safeguard the retirement pots for their older members

I was wondering how that worked.

So career average is only for teachers who started after 2005?
MWWSI 2017

shark

More like 2012. Career average then came in to the entire public service for new entrants.

saffronandblue

By God, the ASTI leadership are piss poor. After striking for one day they now want to suspend action to accept a bit of a deal that the TUI members are already entitled too, namely a CID after 2 years. They are not even demanding the payment for supervision that their TUI colleagues already receive. All unions it seems are a total waste of time, with the top brass only interested in lining their deep pockets.

Il Bomber Destro

Teachers should be put to work for their 3 months holidays.

It would be interesting then to see how many people would be clambering to take it up as a career option.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 27, 2016, 06:37:52 PM

It would be interesting then to see how many people would be clambering to take it up as a career option.
I dont see too many clambering to join it as it is...

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 27, 2016, 07:04:17 PM

Why are the entry requirements so high relative to the actual difficulty in obtaining the qualification?

theticklemister

6 weeks for us on the mainland here

FermGael

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 27, 2016, 07:08:08 PM

Why are the entry requirements so high relative to the actual difficulty in obtaining the qualification?

One of the strange things about the Irish teaching system on  both sides of the border.
In most countries the entry requirements are a lot lower.

Now I would view higher entry requirements as a good thing but sure it's only your kids they will be educating .
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

muppet

Are foreigners who are qualified teachers, allowed to teach in Ireland?
MWWSI 2017

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: FermGael on October 27, 2016, 07:24:44 PM

One of the strange things about the Irish teaching system on  both sides of the border.
In most countries the entry requirements are a lot lower.

Now I would view higher entry requirements as a good thing but sure it's only your kids they will be educating .

The higher entry requirements are there as there are an awful lot of people who want to be teachers in the South.

The reason an awful lot of people want to be teachers in the South is due to the perks such as short working week and generous holidays available.

Now I don't want to label everyone with the same brush, I'm sure there are plenty of good teachers out there who are in that job for genuine and admirable reasons but the cynic in me tells me that an awful lot of them are there for the perks. I think those perks should be reduced and that way you get people who are passionate and dedicated to their work. I don't think you have to be necessarily bright to be a teacher, particularly primary level as after all you are teaching 8 and 9 year olds so higher entry requirements are not necessarily a true reflection.

I would give teachers a standard 30 days annual leave - including their mid terms and summer holidays. They should be put doing educational community and assisting projects with special needs kids etc during the summer.

I see and hear of plenty of cases of teachers getting sponsored  to go off and do "charity work" in the likes of Africa for the summer. In other words, they look for people to pay for their summer holidays while they collect a wage during the summer. Again, maybe that's just the cynic in me.

Il Bomber Destro

The overall point I am making is that a teacher's salary, working hours and annual leave should be in line with those of guards, nurses and other public servants.

As far as I'm aware a teacher is paid probably a higher salary than a nurse of a guard, has a far shorter working week (also doesn't have to work weekends) and would probably have at least the double the number of annual leave days. To my eyes, they are overpaid and underworked when comparable to other sectors.

I think if the perks were taken away, then a lot of people would go elsewhere and it is my view that losing those prospective people would be of no loss at all.

I have zero sympathy for teachers at this current juncture, I think their strike action is pretty disgraceful and shows how deluded they are. Again I don't like tarring them all with the same brush but as long as those perks are there to be availed of that's what will happen.

sammymaguire

Teachers do get it handy, so they should just shut to heck up and get on with their jobs.

So much for teaching being a vocation.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

manfromdelmonte

Relatively few places on.courses

macdanger2

Wouldn't have much sympathy for the striking teachers at all; was happy enough to see it lashing rain for the picket today