Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

Quote from: delgany on May 01, 2019, 11:36:03 PM
Fact :  in North teachers get 66 paid holiday days.
Teachers in South get  about 80 !
Its an enjoyable perk of the job alongside an odd pen and a pity of free copying for the Gaelic club !

Laptop
iPad

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 01, 2019, 11:40:17 PM
Its an enjoyable perk of the job alongside an odd pen and a pity of free copying for the Gaelic club !

Laptop
iPad

Ski trips

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyHarp

Laptop
iPad

From my experience, a refurbished iPad from 2013 and the lowest grade laptop possible, that has already been passed down by 4 other teachers.
That was never a square ball!!

delgany

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2019, 11:41:38 PM

Laptop
iPad

Ski trips

MR    I could not  think off anything worse.( unless you are a skier) Stuck with other peoples children for 5 days / 24 hours ,
No sleep ...a bit of banter ....no way !

Tony Baloney

Quote from: delgany on May 02, 2019, 12:01:32 AM

Laptop
iPad

Ski trips

MR    I could not  think off anything worse.( unless you are a skier) Stuck with other peoples children for 5 days / 24 hours ,
Its very hit and miss. My missus had a stinker of a trip last year and refuses to return. Mates of hers have gone on skip trips where a kid has hurt themselves on day one so they've had to spend every day with them in the hotel. Nightmare!

delgany

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 02, 2019, 12:06:16 AM

Laptop
iPad

Ski trips

Its very hit and miss. My missus had a stinker of a trip last year and refuses to return. Mates of hers have gone on skip trips where a kid has hurt themselves on day one so they've had to spend every day with them in the hotel. Nightmare!

Young lad , in school in DPK, was flown from a ski resort to Barcelona for emergency surgery !

Tony Baloney

Quote from: delgany on May 02, 2019, 12:16:43 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 02, 2019, 12:06:16 AM

Laptop
iPad

Ski trips

Young lad , in school in DPK, was flown from a ski resort to Barcelona for emergency surgery !
Not good for all parties. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to look after me as a 15 yo!

Angelo

Quote from: delgany on May 01, 2019, 11:27:05 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 11:12:55 PM
Quote from: delgany on May 01, 2019, 11:08:21 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 01, 2019, 03:42:49 PM
Quote from: delgany on April 30, 2019, 09:51:14 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 30, 2019, 09:14:58 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 30, 2019, 07:08:28 PM
Teachers' pay is an absolute joke and they pay rise they're being offered is useless. I'm a Civil Servant and earn over £10K more than my wife who's a teacher. I'd say half the staff in Tesco get paid more

Really! NICS pay must be great.

Here are the teacher pay scales for teachers who have not been awarded a promotion. Any teacher can progress up through this scale over 9 years, just look at the annual increments.

Currently Tesco workers are paid £7.62 an hour, which will rise to £8.42 an hour by November 2018. The pay rise will put Tesco workers' pay above the £7.90 level that the National Living Wage is expected to reach by 2018. (23 Jun 2017)

I think teachers need to realise how fortunate they really are compared to the average in N.Ireland. In 2017, average weekly wages in Northern Ireland was £501, up 1.5 per cent from £494 in 2016. Annual salaries in the north, at £25,999, are still lower than the UK average of £28,758.

It takes 12 years to get to top of pay scale
M1 to M6   takes 6 years
UPS 1 TO 3  takes 6 years  - two years per point !

Paid M1 on starting
Paid M2 after 1 year
Paid M3 after 2 years
Paid M4 after 3 years
Paid M5 after 4 years
Paid M6 after 5 years
Paid UPS1 after 6 years
Paid UPS1 after 7 years
Paid UPS2 after 8 years
Paid UPS2 after 9 years
Paid UPS3 after 10 years

12 years, are you a teacher?

Teachers pay increments are based on  the school academic year  and not the calendar year ... ...so yes it  takes 12 years to get to the top of pay grades...it isn't hard to work that out ... problem solving strategies !

Yet more utterly misleading information, 10 years is the period of time.

Why are teachers so liberal with the truth when it comes to presenting the nature of their "plight" in a positive light?

It's the same with the way they twist their salary for the 9 months they work.

Look you clown
It is only in year 13 that you will  be actually paid at UPS 3 pay rate ...not in the first year that you are working towards that increment . That is simple the facts of the matter.

I dont feel plight in any way .

I just pity arse holes who think they know something about education

As  said    Did you not receive an education yourself  because you seem a right  dick.

I think your attitude is quite telling when you have to respond to someone trying to clarify the disingenuous information you are spreading.

If I leave my house at 1.45pm and I travel for 2 hours and 20 mins, arriving at 4.05pm. When someone asks how long your journey takes, do you say 2 hours or 4 hours?

The simple fact of the matter is that it will take a period of time of 10 years to reach the top of the scale and you have deliberately tried to spin a false story to exaggerate the plight of the teacher. Just like the teachers likes to spin contradicting arguments when it comes to play down their salary and leave entitlements.

If you are the calibre and integrity of teacher about today then I'd severely worry about the education of the kids.

It's extremely telling the lies and spin put forth when you delve into the teachers arguments.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

How can we take your word for it? You have already been found out on here posting false and misleading information to put a spin on your story.

The standard leave in the private sector would be about 20-25 days from places I have worked. So even with your under declared teacher leave figures, you still have around three times what most people get a year in terms of leave and teachers then have the gall to go around bleating and striking about how overworked and underpaid they are.

As I have said previously, there's plenty of jobs in other industries out there if it's that bad. Not many teachers seem willing to take that chance though and why would that be?

Teachers are like the boy who cried wolf, they are merely chancing their arm.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 07:42:15 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 01, 2019, 07:25:52 PM
Angelo. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in 11 years in the profession I met one person who got into teaching for the holidays. She lasted 2 years.
Plenty of teachers 'suck it up' and get in with it.

How do you know that?

Teachers are all well versed in playing the poor mouth and acting like victims so they are hardly going to disclose it to all and sundry. The truth lies in the very low drop out rates in teaching, they "suck it up" and get on with it because when you benchmark it with other jobs across a whole variety of sectors they do extremely well out of it with the paid holidays being the cherry on top.

How do I know what?

On the face of it the holidays seem great to outsiders. Outsiders don't realise the work teachers have to do during the holidays tho. The days spent running revision workshops. Marking. Planning. Also the holidays are restrictive. You can't take holidays as and when. During school holidays trips away are a lot dearer is

TwoUpTwoDown

As I'm not a teacher I can't comment. But I could think of nothing worse. I have to laugh at people talking about how handy they get it and the perks of the job. If it were so amazing and rewarding, then why aren't you doing it? I've seen from close relatives the stress and pressures of being a teacher. Each morning I wake up and thank my lucky stars that I'm not one.

tonto1888

Quote from: HiMucker on May 01, 2019, 09:10:43 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 01, 2019, 07:25:52 PM
Angelo. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in 11 years in the profession I met one person who got into teaching for the holidays. She lasted 2 years.
Plenty of teachers 'suck it up' and get in with it.
Ah Jesus Tonto. I find that hard to believe. I made a comment earlier about the same thing. Albeit they would all be mid 30s or younger but nearly all them said they took up teaching because of the holidays. I don't share most of Angelos views. But I do agree with him on that point, and it is an issue.

I'm only going on my own experience mate. She may have been the only honest person. Who knows. I know I didn't go into teaching for the holidays and I know plenty of others who didn't either

Angelo

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on May 02, 2019, 07:41:40 AM
As I'm not a teacher I can't comment. But I could think of nothing worse. I have to laugh at people talking about how handy they get it and the perks of the job. If it were so amazing and rewarding, then why aren't you doing it? I've seen from close relatives the stress and pressures of being a teacher. Each morning I wake up and thank my lucky stars that I'm not one.

It's not for me, that's why I don't work as a teacher.

If I'm in a job I don't like or feel stressed out about or underpaid I will look for something else.

What I won't do is bitch and moan, poormouth, threaten and take strike action and hold the taxpayer to ransom because certain aspects of the work don't fit in with my utopian view or what a job should entail.

Teachers are the boy who cry wolf, they are all demands but very few of them will leave the hell they claim to be employed. They know full well the grass is not greener on the other side.

Why would you work a job you hate and feel undervalued in. Why would you not move on or look for something else in this situation.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on May 02, 2019, 09:08:11 AM
Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on May 02, 2019, 07:41:40 AM

It's not for me, that's why I don't work as a teacher.

If I'm in a job I don't like or feel stressed out about or underpaid I will look for something else.

What I won't do is bitch and moan, poormouth, threaten and take strike action and hold the taxpayer to ransom because certain aspects of the work don't fit in with my utopian view or what a job should entail.

Teachers are the boy who cry wolf, they are all demands but very few of them will leave the hell they claim to be employed. They know full well the grass is not greener on the other side.

Why would you work a job you hate and feel undervalued in. Why would you not move on or look for something else in this situation.

Was your ex wife a teacher? And it pissed you off as she lay in bed every morning over those holidays?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Quote from: Angelo on May 02, 2019, 07:14:15 AM
Quote from: delgany on May 01, 2019, 11:27:05 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 11:12:55 PM
Quote from: delgany on May 01, 2019, 11:08:21 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 01, 2019, 03:42:49 PM
Quote from: delgany on April 30, 2019, 09:51:14 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 30, 2019, 09:14:58 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 30, 2019, 07:08:28 PM
Teachers' pay is an absolute joke and they pay rise they're being offered is useless. I'm a Civil Servant and earn over £10K more than my wife who's a teacher. I'd say half the staff in Tesco get paid more

Really! NICS pay must be great.

Here are the teacher pay scales for teachers who have not been awarded a promotion. Any teacher can progress up through this scale over 9 years, just look at the annual increments.

Currently Tesco workers are paid £7.62 an hour, which will rise to £8.42 an hour by November 2018. The pay rise will put Tesco workers' pay above the £7.90 level that the National Living Wage is expected to reach by 2018. (23 Jun 2017)

I think teachers need to realise how fortunate they really are compared to the average in N.Ireland. In 2017, average weekly wages in Northern Ireland was £501, up 1.5 per cent from £494 in 2016. Annual salaries in the north, at £25,999, are still lower than the UK average of £28,758.

It takes 12 years to get to top of pay scale
M1 to M6   takes 6 years
UPS 1 TO 3  takes 6 years  - two years per point !

Paid M1 on starting
Paid M2 after 1 year
Paid M3 after 2 years
Paid M4 after 3 years
Paid M5 after 4 years
Paid M6 after 5 years
Paid UPS1 after 6 years
Paid UPS1 after 7 years
Paid UPS2 after 8 years
Paid UPS2 after 9 years
Paid UPS3 after 10 years

12 years, are you a teacher?

Teachers pay increments are based on  the school academic year  and not the calendar year ... ...so yes it  takes 12 years to get to the top of pay grades...it isn't hard to work that out ... problem solving strategies !

Yet more utterly misleading information, 10 years is the period of time.

Why are teachers so liberal with the truth when it comes to presenting the nature of their "plight" in a positive light?

It's the same with the way they twist their salary for the 9 months they work.

Look you clown
It is only in year 13 that you will  be actually paid at UPS 3 pay rate ...not in the first year that you are working towards that increment . That is simple the facts of the matter.

I dont feel plight in any way .

I just pity arse holes who think they know something about education

As  said    Did you not receive an education yourself  because you seem a right  dick.

I think your attitude is quite telling when you have to respond to someone trying to clarify the disingenuous information you are spreading.

If I leave my house at 1.45pm and I travel for 2 hours and 20 mins, arriving at 4.05pm. When someone asks how long your journey takes, do you say 2 hours or 4 hours?

The simple fact of the matter is that it will take a period of time of 10 years to reach the top of the scale and you have deliberately tried to spin a false story to exaggerate the plight of the teacher. Just like the teachers likes to spin contradicting arguments when it comes to play down their salary and leave entitlements.

If you are the calibre and integrity of teacher about today then I'd severely worry about the education of the kids.

It's extremely telling the lies and spin put forth when you delve into the teachers arguments.

Something lacking here

Using your example
If you leave your house  12,   would you  ring your mate and tell you had arrived at your destination - No - because you still have the journey to make
In year 10 for pay progression  - you have a two year appraisal to achieve . Once achieved your pay increment increases - it's not backdated !  So it takes that long  to reach the highest pay grade

I have never mentioned anything about the plight if teachers
I have stated the actual facts !
Teaching is a good career , decent pay ,decent pension , excellent holidays. If you work in a well run school with few discipline issues , it is a great environment.