e cigarettes?

Started by lawnseed, March 07, 2014, 08:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

Has anyone any experience of these? Two people I care about are thinking of quitting cigarettes they are heavy smokers. I was going to order these rechargeable yokes off ebay but I know nothing at all about them.. Help
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Up The Middle

I know a few lads who are using them pretty regularly, they would have been pretty heavy smokers and are off now completley for a couple of years. Trouble is with the E Cig that there hasnt really been a lot of research carried out on them and they certainly havent to my knowledge been certified by any health organisation. Supposedly they contain nicotine and what you inhale is water vapour, but can we really be sure.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Main Street

Quote from: lawnseed on March 07, 2014, 08:13:36 AM
Has anyone any experience of these? Two people I care about are thinking of quitting cigarettes they are heavy smokers. I was going to order these rechargeable yokes off ebay but I know nothing at all about them.. Help
The goal I presume is to withdraw from nicotine addiction, with as little pain as possible.
The answer is to go 100% cold turkey.
The first port of call in methods of giving up the fags is to go cold turkey and at the time you decide to go cold turkey, you swear never to smoke another cigarette, ever. It's over, no thoughts of a reward, or a half fag a day. With this method it is invaluable to understand the nature of nicotine addiction.
All that waffling about other methods is just confusing and misleading. Nicotine is an addiction but a physically harmless one to give up for most people, generally there are no withdrawal symptoms, just a physical improvement from day one.
There's plenty of info on cold turkey method on the internet.
For those who manage to stay off the cigarettes  - 9/10 used the cold turkey method
but only 1/10 of those who tried initially to give them up, used cold turkey method.
Once a person has some idea of how to go cold turkey,  by understanding the quirky nature of  nicotine addiction, I'd say their chances improve dramatically of a successful cold turkey. It's just most people stumble blindly into trying it, a number of times, find they can't do it and give up trying, thinking they just can't do it.

After a week or so  cold turkey, then one has to build new associations with most every way they interract with life. Take those experiences one by one.  An emotional upset, it's an opportunity to associate it without smoking,  whatever the event is , a telephone call, driving in the car,  watching a football game, after food, a drink, build up new smoke free associations with these events.

Denn Forever

The danger with Cigarettes is all the crap the is contained in the smoke e.g. tars, chemicals etc.  These combustion products are the things that contain the carcinogens.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 07, 2014, 11:53:55 AM
The danger with Cigarettes is all the crap the is contained in the smoke e.g. tars, chemicals etc.  These combustion products are the things that contain the carcinogens.
Then,I wonder why people who smoke roll ups,  cough, splutter, look grey, bloodless, can't run 10m, stink, have deoxygenated blood flowing around the body, etc etc

trueblue1234

Quote from: Main Street on March 07, 2014, 11:49:27 AM
The goal I presume is to withdraw from nicotine addiction, with as little pain as possible.
The first port of call in methods of giving up the fags is to go cold turkey and at the time you decide to go cold turkey, you swear never to smoke another cigarette, ever. It's over, no thoughts of a reward, or a half fag a day. With this method it is invaluable to understand the nature of nicotine addiction.
All that waffling about other methods is just confusing and misleading. Nicotine is an addiction but a physically harmless one to give up for most people, generally there are no withdrawal symptoms, just a physical improvement from day one.
For those who manage to stay off the cigarettes  - 9/10 used the cold turkey method
but only 1/10 of those who tried initially to give them up, used cold turkey method.
Once a person has some idea of how to go cold turkey,  by understanding the quirky nature of  nicotine addiction, I'd say their chances improve dramatically of a successful cold turkey. It's just most people stumble blindly into trying it, a number of times, find they can't do it and give up trying, thinking they just can't do it.

After a week or so  cold turkey, then one has to build new associations with most every way they interract with life. Take those experiences one by one.  An emotional upset, it's an opportunity to associate it without smoking,  whatever the event is , a telephone call, driving in the car,  watching a football game, after food, a drink, build up new smoke free associations with these events.

Where did you get the stats for this? I've read others that are very much in contrast to this.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Main Street

Quote from: Main Street on March 07, 2014, 11:58:25 AM
Then,I wonder why people who smoke roll ups,  cough, splutter, look grey, bloodless, can't run 10m, stink, have deoxygenated blood flowing around the body, etc etc
Then, I wonder why people who smoke roll ups, cough, splutter, look grey, bloodless, can't run 10m, stink, have deoxygenated blood flowing around the body, And they do all that because they are addicted to nicotine.
Break the addiction and you have control back.
Heroin as a substance isn't that dangerous to the body,  it's the crap they mix with it that turn it into a lethal substance  :o
Or is the addictive nature of the addictive substance that's the most destructive element of the whole association with the drug, the element that keeps you hooked to the destructive substance?

Nicotine on its own is an addiction, a highly addictive substance that creates it's own craving symptoms for more of the same with absolutely no plus side, Even if  the person just want's to give up the destructive tobacco substances that carry the nicotine, the easiest and most successful  method is to go cold turkey.
The cigarettes are not the problem, the nicotine addiction is.

Main Street

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 07, 2014, 12:03:32 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 07, 2014, 11:49:27 AM

Where did you get the stats for this? I've read others that are very much in contrast to this.
There are loads of sources around the internet. Though there are many confusing studies done which are not helpful to understanding  the nature of nicotine addiction and methods to give iit up.
As I said, the first port of call is go cold turkey, it's the easiest.
If not successful with cold turkey, then use NRT or other methods.

http://whyquit.com/pr/123106.html

Main Street

Quote from: hardstation on March 07, 2014, 12:33:41 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 07, 2014, 11:58:25 AM
??
Are you suggesting that roll up tobacco doesn't contain these tars & chemicals?
That's a new one on me.
No I wasn't suggesting that, just a belief that the extra heavy metals added to cigarettes made a difference to the toxic effects of tobacco. smoke. Probably there's no difference between them, when all effects are added up.

overdabar

I'm of the cigarettes 15 months now, Got an e cigarette before christmas 2012 and smoked the life out of it for the first week then gradually cut down, within a couple of months i had stopped using it completely, havent had a cigarette since. Definitely worked for me.

lawnseed

Quote from: overdabar on March 07, 2014, 01:44:31 PM
I'm of the cigarettes 15 months now, Got an e cigarette before christmas 2012 and smoked the life out of it for the first week then gradually cut down, within a couple of months i had stopped using it completely, havent had a cigarette since. Definitely worked for me.
Thats what I want to to hear, firstly well done congratulations 8). What sort of e cig did you use brand etc what did it cost where did you get it?

As for cold turkey- these folk are in their 70s theyve been smoking over 55 years!! doctor told me quitting cold turkey could give them strokes or worse.. One of them tried it and took the 'heby gebys' fag companys should be locked up >:(
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

overdabar

Intellicig is the make of the one I got and cost about £15, you get a few tips along with it and when they finish 5 tips cost about £5 for 5. Bought it in a local chemist and think they're available in most chemists and have seen them in service stations also. They come with a USB charger to charge the battery and 1 charge should last all day and 1 tip is supposed to be about 10 cigarettes.

Main Street

Quote from: lawnseed on March 07, 2014, 02:10:29 PM
Thats what I want to to hear, firstly well done congratulations 8). What sort of e cig did you use brand etc what did it cost where did you get it?

As for cold turkey- these folk are in their 70s theyve been smoking over 55 years!! doctor told me quitting cold turkey could give them strokes or worse.. One of them tried it and took the 'heby gebys' fag companys should be locked up >:(
The tar is probably holding them together.
A patch under each arm, a few e cigs and a nicotine drip at night should see them through the rest of their life without cigarettes.

Main Street

You eventually got to the nicotine free stage, and that's what matters most
First you withdrew from cigarettes and associated habits then you took 2 months to decide to quit nicotine and withdraw from that.
Fine if that works, but that period dallying with the nicotine addiction is where most people fail and return to old ways.

The Iceman

I know over here there are some new reports out on the chemicals in the vapor thats released. Formaldehyde was mentioned but I don't know how true that is. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there on it. I'm not a fan of people smoking them now in bars and public places - I don't want any of it in the air.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight