Goalkeeping blunder of the century, what a plonker

Started by SLIGONIAN, September 13, 2010, 05:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/22038/

:D :D
It is often said of goalkeepers that they have nothing to lose in a penalty shoot-out. Tell that to Khalid El Askri.
The Moroccan was between the sticks for FAR Rabat who were in action at MAS Fes in the last 16 of the Moroccan Coupe du Trone.

The game finished 1-1 and, after 30 minutes of extra time, it went down to penalties.

In the penalty shoot-out, El Askri stepped up to make a critical early save from Fes man Driss Belaamri.

So happy was the stopper that started beating his chest and, celebrating with his fans, kissing the club badge. The crowd, however, could see what El Askri could not.

The ball, laden with spin after being blocked, was edging lazily back to the goal. As it rolled over the line, Belaamri - who kept his eyes on the ball throughout - celebrated scoring the world's luckiest penalty.

And for El Askri and Rabat, who are the most successful side in the Moroccan cup's history, there was no reprieve - Fes won the shoot-out 7-6 to advance to the quarter-finals

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mannix

Yes,it looks like he became complacent. This happens in sports from time to time.

Orior

Quote from: mannix on September 13, 2010, 06:31:27 PM
Yes,it looks like he became complacent. This happens in sports from time to time.

That's interesting. I notice as well you made your point with two short but well formded sentences and the only blunder was that you missed a space early on. This happens quite a bit on message boards.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mannix

well "formded"sentences indeed, you would be the kettle in this instance.

saffron sam2

I thought the rule was that, during a shootout, the ball was considered dead as soon as it stopped going forward.

I think I remember some controversy over the Bruno Bellone penalty in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEn9dGEQQNA&feature=related
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bogball XV

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 13, 2010, 10:34:03 PM
I thought the rule was that, during a shootout, the ball was considered dead as soon as it stopped going forward.

I think I remember some controversy over the Bruno Bellone penalty in this clip.

i thought that too, was there an incident with joel bats the french keeper in 86 against brazil, maybe the ball hit the post, hit him and went in, but didn't count?

okay seems like O'Neill has provided us with proof - does anyone remember that shootout and what I might be thinking about - i googled but can't see any mention of it.

saffron sam2

Quote from: ONeill on September 13, 2010, 10:54:28 PM
It's a goal

http://asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/22638/

That's that sorted then. Keeper is a twit.

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 13, 2010, 11:56:08 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 13, 2010, 10:34:03 PM

i thought that too, was there an incident with joel bats the french keeper in 86 against brazil, maybe the ball hit the post, hit him and went in, but didn't count?

okay seems like O'Neill has provided us with proof - does anyone remember that shootout and what I might be thinking about - i googled but can't see any mention of it.

You could try the youtube link in my post. Bruno Bellone's penalty hit the post, rebounded into the net off the Brazilian keeper (Taffarel??) and was allowed to stand. Was controversial at the time.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Bogball XV

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 14, 2010, 08:07:11 AM
You could try the youtube link in my post. Bruno Bellone's penalty hit the post, rebounded into the net off the Brazilian keeper (Taffarel??) and was allowed to stand. Was controversial at the time.
Ah, I got it mixed up - would explain why i couldn't find it on you-tube!!

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on September 14, 2010, 10:31:44 AM
If you pause it at 29 seconds, the ball is stationary.

Can a spinning ball be described as stationary?

Lecale2

When youtube is paused it looks stationary. Good man Hardstation!  :D

The Biff

Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

Bud Wiser

Quote from: hardstation on September 14, 2010, 10:31:44 AM
If you pause it at 29 seconds, the ball is stationary.

When I pause it it is stationary no matter what second I pause it at.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"