The Greatest Down Footballer of the last 50 years

Started by Bacon, November 21, 2006, 01:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the greatest Down footballer of the last 50 years?

Benny Coulter
4 (7.7%)
James McCartan snr
2 (3.8%)
Sean O'Neill
21 (40.4%)
Greg Blaney
19 (36.5%)
Micky Linden
14 (26.9%)
Colm McAlarney
8 (15.4%)
Paddy Doherty
8 (15.4%)
None of the above
4 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Bacon

My vote would go for Greg Blaney.Great vision and reader of the game. He was behind every attack throughout the 80s/90s.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Bacon

Feel free to leave a comment! The poster who voted for none of the above for example - who would you vote for?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Uladh

hows she cutting

the ould fella wreckons Sean O'Neill wasn't a bad player

Over the Bar

Surely you should only be able to vote for one?  Otherwise the thread should be the Best Down Footballers..etc

Most people on here won't remember Sean O'Neill or any of the great 60's team so they start at a disadvantage immediately, unless people vote based on hearsay.

5 Sams

Listening to the all the oul ones (anyone over 50 that is) Seán O'Neill was the best ever in Ireland never mind Down so he possibly shouldnt be included in this poll. It would be like asking who is the greatest ever Northern Ireland Soccer player?

McAlarney is the best I ever saw with Mickey Linden a close 2nd.
The Aristocrat Years

AnDunYeGo

Would have to go for Sean O'Neill from stories the aul boy and others have told me.just have a look at the awards, all stars, team of the millenium etc.
but the best i've seen play would have to be mickey linden, talk about pure skill and determination, for example kevin foley and mick lyons tackles/assaults on him in '91 final, just got up, no retaliation and beat them the way you should!!

thegael

mickey linden followed by sean o'neill only saw sean as a young boy.
mickey is the man.

Over the Bar

Quotemickey linden followed by sean o'neill only saw sean as a young boy.

If he was a boy when you saw him wht age does that make you? :-\

Onlooker

I was lucky enough to see the great Down team of the 1960's playing several times and they were an outstanding team by any standards.  I have given my vote to Sean O'Neill, but would also give a very favourable mention to Paddy Doherty.

Pangurban

Its interesting to note that the all bar one of the Names put forward by the Gael are forwards, the same trend is reflected in the votes to date. Defenders never get the recognition they deserve. I have been priveliged too have seen all of these players in their prime. Rather than choose one, i would just like to note that only one player since the sixties..Mickey Linden..would have been good enough to merit inclusion in the 60/61 team, and even he would have struggled to earn that place. BTW. i have heard real old timers from Down, Tyrone,Armagh and even Kerry state emphatically that the best footballer they ever seen was a Down-Man named Dan Lavery who played in the forties. Ah Hell if i have to pick one from the last fifty years, ill go for Tony Hadden, if only for his versatility.

thegael

pangur you've lost me i didn't start this thread and i suggested two-

mickey linden followed by sean o'neill.

Hardy

Seán O'Neill - even without the word 'Down' in the thread title.

Pangurban

Apologies Gael, thought you had started the thread, its the lay-out on this new board

Dubh driocht

1/ O'Neill 2/Mc Alarney 3/Mickey 4/Blaney 5/Tommy Mc Govern