Peter Canavans best score.

Started by Puckoon, December 01, 2009, 04:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

I was thinking about this this morning and I think it has to be his goal in the 2005 final. In terms of importance, style and just sheer canavan class I think it may have been his best score.

I wonder what the man himself would say?

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

blanketattack

Quote from: Puckoon on December 01, 2009, 04:41:43 PM
I was thinking about this this morning and I think it has to be his goal in the 2005 final. In terms of importance, style and just sheer canavan class I think it may have been his best score.

I wonder what the man himself would say?

A goal from 7 yards out while unmarked and set up on a plate for him by Mulligan was his best goal ever?

Puckoon

As far as Im concerned.

There was a ball width where canavan could put that ball past Diarmuid Murphy. On the run with his weaker foot he placed it perfectly in the only place it could not be saved.

Factor in the opponent, the occasion and the lead that that goal gave Tyrone and Id say it was a pretty great score.

Thats how I viewed it anyway.

Gabriel_Hurl

Ulster semi-final 1995 - he took on the Derry defence by himself - shifted a heavy knock from Henry Downey - knocked him down to one knee - popped back up again and curled it over with his left foot

catchandkick

Lobbed goal v Fermanagh ? Not sure what year that was, 2005?

Tyrone Dreamer

There's some scores to pick from. Actually think his point in the 05 final was better and as important as the goal. Kerry had just got the goal to bring them back in the game and he scored a point from an unbelievable angle. His point v Donegal in 94 got score of the ulster championship,from what I remember it was a clinker. Scored a great point v Galway in 95 semi. Scored another great point v Galway in 2004 with his first touch in 10 months after injury, he had just come on and scored with his left foot in the corner beside the hill. Plenty more to!

Laoislad have you not got soccer to talk about on the non gaa forum?

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: catchandkick on December 01, 2009, 05:47:17 PM
Lobbed goal v Fermanagh ? Not sure what year that was, 2005?

2003 league semi-final.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on December 01, 2009, 05:51:43 PM
There's some scores to pick from. Actually think his point in the 05 final was better and as important as the goal. Kerry had just got the goal to bring them back in the game and he scored a point from an unbelievable angle. His point v Donegal in 94 got score of the ulster championship,from what I remember it was a clinker. Scored a great point v Galway in 95 semi. Scored another great point v Galway in 2004 with his first touch in 10 months after injury, he had just come on and scored with his left foot in the corner beside the hill. Plenty more to!

Laoislad have you not got soccer to talk about on the non gaa forum?

No
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Puckoon on December 01, 2009, 05:27:00 PM
As far as Im concerned.

There was a ball width where canavan could put that ball past Diarmuid Murphy. On the run with his weaker foot he placed it perfectly in the only place it could not be saved.

Factor in the opponent, the occasion and the lead that that goal gave Tyrone and Id say it was a pretty great score.

Great players don't have a weak foot, Peter The Good it is...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 01, 2009, 10:54:14 PM
As far as Im concerned.

He didnt say he had a weak foot, just that one was weaker than the other ;). It was a lovely goal in the 2005 final, as Puckoon said he put it in the one place the keeper couldnt reach and he just rolled it in rather than blasting it as so many GAA players. In general GAA players are poor when through on the keeper, too many just blast it right at the goalie.

I think I might well agree with tyronedreamer though, the point he got in the 2005 final was probably even better than the goal. Not convinced these were his best scores ever though, so many to pick from.

Puckoon

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 01, 2009, 05:33:52 PM
Ulster semi-final 1995 - he took on the Derry defence by himself - shifted a heavy knock from Henry Downey - knocked him down to one knee - popped back up again and curled it over with his left foot

Belter of a score.

He had a drop of hair then too :D

Puckoon

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 01, 2009, 10:54:14 PM
As far as Im concerned.

We could all agree then that he is at least Peter 'the better than all of us on the gaaboard"

TacadoirArdMhacha

As far as Im concerned.

Mulligan throws the ball to him though. Free out.

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

No way ref

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 01, 2009, 05:33:52 PM

Thats his best although he scored a fantastic point against Donegal in the 94 ulster semi in Breffni with the outside of his boot.
Its funny how such ability stays in your memory