Domain names

Started by ONeill, December 17, 2008, 09:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

www.godaddy.com is the cheapest I have found.  At £6.71 / year for .com, if anyone knows any cheaper, please let me know.

Puckoon

Quote from: Treasurer on December 17, 2008, 10:40:34 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 17, 2008, 09:50:37 PM
How much is it to get a website done?

How long is a piece of string?

A piece of string is precisely twice as long as half of it.

Treasurer

Quote from: Puckoon on December 18, 2008, 03:55:44 PM
Quote from: Treasurer on December 17, 2008, 10:40:34 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 17, 2008, 09:50:37 PM
How much is it to get a website done?

How long is a piece of string?

A piece of string is precisely twice as long as half of it.

How long have you been waiting for someone to ask that question on the board?? :P

Hardy

Lar Naparka

Quote from: balladmaker on December 18, 2008, 12:48:47 AM
www.godaddy.com is the cheapest I have found.  At £6.71 / year for .com, if anyone knows any cheaper, please let me know.
I haven't come across any cheaper but I certainly have come across better.
I tried them once and left after a year. The name registration wasn't the problem but their webhosting package was dire.
There is an English company, web-mania.co.uk, that I have used and I have found it to be good value fore the money.
I'm not a web expert or anything approaching one, but I have knocked together a few fairly uncomplicated sites for myself and for a few friends and web-mania have been fairly satisfactory - both with Domain Name registration and with the cost of hosting sites.
£7.95 annually for a .com suffix is cheaper than most others offer. Some of the less popular options are somewhat less. I think the going rate for a hosting package is £24.99 annually, so the total cost works out at around €40 for a year.
I've never had reason to try out all the features but apart from the email service being a bit slow at times, I've nothing really to complain about.
From my own experience and from what others tell me, I'd give American budget companies a miss; they tend to be short on manners and technical backup services.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Treasurer

I've been with Blacknight for a few years now without any hitches.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Aerlik

There's a Kilrea fella who bought "northernireland.com" about 11 years ago and sold it for over 70K squids.  I had a couple of domain names bought through an american site.  I got an email warning me that I would be challenged for the rights for one of them unless I could prove I was using it.  Well I couldn't so gave them both up.  Luckily they were never taken up.

I think the whole idea of people needing to have a justifiable use for the names stems from the clever bar steward who, apparently out of the blue, decided to register timewarner.com, only to have those two join forces a couple of years later and buy the domain name off him for US$1m.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Croí na hÉireann

Is it a straightforward process to renew a domain name every year using blacknight.ie? Do they email you to remind you that your subscription is about to lapse and give you the opportunity to renew it for another year?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...