GAA 2034

Started by Rossfan, March 30, 2018, 12:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: larryin89 on March 30, 2018, 06:11:00 PM
Professionalism becomes a place of work , how could you legally stop a transfer market ?

Especially from a weaker county to a larger more successful one. Although they wouldn't be getting paid, just an allowance. I wonder will it be cryptocurrency.

Syferus

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 30, 2018, 07:40:58 PM
Professionalism becomes a place of work , how could you legally stop a transfer market ?

Especially from a weaker county to a larger more successful one. Although they wouldn't be getting paid, just an allowance. I wonder will it be cryptocurrency.

Proper professionalism means less top tier teams and regions amalgamating. You can forget about the term 'counties' in that scenario.

Therealdonald

Never read the same pile of dung in my life. Pure unadulterated dung. Allowances?? There already is allowances in place.

Someone mentioned reining in the horse (Dublin), swings and roundabouts boys. Once Cluxton, O'Sullivan and Philly Mc lose a half yard of pace they'll come back to the pack. If we split the Dubs, sure all you boyos would be complaining then about Tyrone and Mayo sharing every All-Ireland. You can't please everyone.

I would have been more interested in seeing how the GAA was going to tackle the growing drug problem in the GAA by 2034, which I think will be the biggest problem to the GAA by that time if the use keeps growing as it is at the minute.

Rossfan

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 30, 2018, 07:40:58 PM

If there ever was full time professionalism they'd have to have a contract with Central GAA who would "allocate" them to their native County.
Problem would be if 40 Kerrymen joined the Pro ranks and only 10 Carlow men 15 of the Kerrys would have to go to Carlow then.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

munchkin

Quote from: Therealdonald on March 30, 2018, 08:00:39 PM
Never read the same pile of dung in my life. Pure unadulterated dung. Allowances?? There already is allowances in place. <snip>
where are there allowances, remembering than an allowance is a fixed amount ?

There's very very generous expenses, which go way beyond the actual cost of travel, and you could call that an allowance, but the amount you claim is dependent on how far you travel which means a player living beside the county grounds gets next to zilch and the lads travelling from Dublin for few 100km round trip are minting it.
You'd presume lads living beside the grounds would use a little imagination or claim from his place of work, but still, its a sliding scale and essentially a way of compensating players for their efforts only that the more you travel the more you are compensated. 

Reading between the lines, I think the new allowance would replace this generous expenses system, possibly also replacing or being merged into the high performance grant from the government for inter county players, which was a sham from the beginning.
The players also get (IIRC) a clatter of money for boots and nutrition, so the new allowance would likely replace that too.

But as for use of grounds by other organisations ("establish criteria for the use of Association facilities by other sports organisations.") including "the peoples game" , I don't know what that's all about. I'd hope its just a rewording of the exception for use of grounds for the rugby world cup into a generic provision for one off events, but I'm not sure.
I cant imagine that the GAA is looking to expand the reach of "the peoples game" into every corner of Ireland by laying out a red carpet to use grounds where they have none currently. 

There's a number of other ideas like reducing the size of the central council and abolishing provincial councils and replacing them with regional councils which I'd be very much in favour of .

Rossfan

What would be the functions of the new Regional Councils?
Would they run Regional football and hurling Championships?
Or would it just be for Administration only.
Are such things needed with modern communications etc?

magpie seanie

Quote from: munchkin on April 04, 2018, 10:53:37 AM
Never read the same pile of dung in my life. Pure unadulterated dung. Allowances?? There already is allowances in place. <snip>

There's very very generous expenses, which go way beyond the actual cost of travel, and you could call that an allowance, but the amount you claim is dependent on how far you travel which means a player living beside the county grounds gets next to zilch and the lads travelling from Dublin for few 100km round trip are minting it.
You'd presume lads living beside the grounds would use a little imagination or claim from his place of work, but still, its a sliding scale and essentially a way of compensating players for their efforts only that the more you travel the more you are compensated. 

Reading between the lines, I think the new allowance would replace this generous expenses system, possibly also replacing or being merged into the high performance grant from the government for inter county players, which was a sham from the beginning.
The players also get (IIRC) a clatter of money for boots and nutrition, so the new allowance would likely replace that too.

But as for use of grounds by other organisations ("establish criteria for the use of Association facilities by other sports organisations.") including "the peoples game" , I don't know what that's all about. I'd hope its just a rewording of the exception for use of grounds for the rugby world cup into a generic provision for one off events, but I'm not sure.
I cant imagine that the GAA is looking to expand the reach of "the peoples game" into every corner of Ireland by laying out a red carpet to use grounds where they have none currently. 

There's a number of other ideas like reducing the size of the central council and abolishing provincial councils and replacing them with regional councils which I'd be very much in favour of .

You're forgetting the Sports Council/GPA grants/additional expenses (delete depending on which side of the mouth you're speaking out of). That's a flat sum depending on championship progress and attendance at training etc. A clear breach of amateur rules which somehow has been explained away as not being so. "These are not the droids you're looking for...."

rosnarun

Quote from: munchkin on April 04, 2018, 10:53:37 AM

But as for use of grounds by other organisations (“establish criteria for the use of Association facilities by other sports organisations.”) including "the peoples game" , I don't know what that's all about. I'd hope its just a rewording of the exception for use of grounds for the rugby world cup into a generic provision for one off events, but I'm not sure.

are provincial councils not regional councils?
as for central contracts  how long before it would be come as ridiculous as rugby where yo have more kiwis playing for Connaught than Galwegians even if you include the token mayoman
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

I wouldn't worry about what the GAA will look like in 2034, lads.
The robots will be running the show by then.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

And Meath will be in Junior B ;D

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Jinxy on April 04, 2018, 11:36:28 AM
Except in Connacht, Prenty will still call the shots there.

Rossfan

Jinxy

Quote from: Rossfan on April 04, 2018, 12:19:21 PM
And Meath will be in Junior B ;D

Only in the robot championship.
We'll be a solid intermediate team in the humanoid league.

Rossfan

Jinxy

Quote from: Owenmoresider on April 04, 2018, 12:37:21 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 04, 2018, 11:36:28 AM
Except in Connacht, Prenty will still call the shots there.

Inadequate broadband coverage will prevent the robots crossing the Shannon.