Ex-County players still playing club football at a brave oul age

Started by theticklemister, July 15, 2012, 10:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Just interested to know if any ex-county players still play club football who are in late 30s as such. Can't really think of any within my own county as such

FL/MAYO

I think Manus Boyle is still playing reserve football with Killybegs, he must be 45 by now, fair play to him.

Wildweasel74

nobody will beat tony browne still playing hurling in a munster final at 39, am jealous as f**k to be so fit at that age

Gold

Brolly played Div 1 in Antrim up to last year. Was playing some stuff too.
Must have been at least 40. Keeper John Mackle played for same club to mid 40s few years ago

Think Enda Gormley played to around same age for Bredagh in Down as did Jody Gormley

Cant think of any others
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

theticklemister

Gormley playing for Glen 111 up to 2006 along with Fergal and Damian McCusker and Gary Magill. Now that was some thirds team; they beat us a few times back in the day!

Faceinthecrowd

Not that long ago enda gormley played for bredagh in down div 3 and 4, I'm sure he was early forties at the time. Jody gormley also played football for bredagh up until two years ago, would have been late thirties. I think joe brolly played for st brigids Belfast up until recently. I know a lot of ex county footballers who are now managing underage teams, usually have sons involved. Enda gormley is in his second year with watty's minors and has done a great job there, Ulster champions last year and they can't get anyone to play them this year!

thewobbler

There's very few former Down players in the club leagues these days (well, very few who reached a natural retirement from county duty).

It's a stark contrast with 10 years ago when almost every top flight club had a few legends from the 91/94 panels not just making up the numbers, but holding sway.

It was one of the things I noticed most apparent when we last went up to D1 three years ago; almost every team was younger than Ballyholland. We've joined in with the trend ourselves since.

orangeman

fitzroyalty

Barry John O'Hagan, played in the AI final 2002, back playing with Clan na Gael in Division 1 Armagh. Think he must be 39 odd.
Not only in great shape but one of the better players playing in Division 1.

Diarmaid Marsden of same club also playing Reserves!

Mourne Rover

One poster said `nobody will beat tony browne still playing hurling in a munster final at 39', but Mickey Linden played in the 2003 Ulster final at the age of 40 and was still turning out for Mayobridge reserve sides into his late 40s.

Syferus

Ciaran McDonald is still going great guns for Crossmalina at 37, scored 9 points in the club championship two weeks ago. John O' really made a hash of that whole episode, Ciaran Mc is among the purest footballers to ever grace a GAA pitch and if you could have got him to buy into a Brian Dooher-type role he would still be a serious weapon for them.

Harold Disgracey

Mattie Lennon played for Derrynoose in a recent league game aged 49 I believe.

Bingo

A similar question could be asked in some counties if "Current County players still playing club football"  ;)

Newbridge Exile

Joe Irwin would have been at least 42/43 before he retired , Dermot Dougan and Gary Coleman would have been 38/39 before they quit

Armaghgael

How could anyone forget the most successful club player of all time Oisin McConville? He must be 36/37 and will be aiming for 3 in a row next year
If in doubt.......take man and ball!