Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbbey

Heard that Timahoe's committee threw away the idea meaning that they have managed to piss off both sides of the club if true. The long distance/lack of juvenile link gales teams seem to be failing to get off the ground. The only one that seems to be happening is crettyard and spink which was always likely given the success they had last year. Also seems to be a higher chance in hurling. From the gales teams ive heard proposed.
The Heath Gales (Timahoe) No
Mountmellick Gales (Emo) No
St Josephs Gales (Barrowhouse) No
Crettyard Gales (Spink) Yes
Arles Killen Gales (Barrowhouse) N/A
O'Dempseys Gales (Annanough) No
Castletown Gales (Slieve Bloom) N/A
Ballinakill Gales (Slieve Bloom) No
Colt Gales (Clonad) Yes
Ballyfin Gales (Mountmellick) Yes
Shanahoe Gales (Ballypickas) Yes

Ive heard that some of the bigger clubs, hurling ones in particular have been complaining about these gales teams and how it is an unfair advantage but the reality is that a colt/clonad or a shanahoe/ballypickas combination still wouldnt have 2/3rds the pick of a borris/kilcotton or a camross.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on January 06, 2017, 06:15:28 PM
Heard that Timahoe's committee threw away the idea meaning that they have managed to piss off both sides of the club if true. The long distance/lack of juvenile link gales teams seem to be failing to get off the ground. The only one that seems to be happening is crettyard and spink which was always likely given the success they had last year. Also seems to be a higher chance in hurling. From the gales teams ive heard proposed.
The Heath Gales (Timahoe) No
Mountmellick Gales (Emo) No
St Josephs Gales (Barrowhouse) No
Crettyard Gales (Spink) Yes
Arles Killen Gales (Barrowhouse) N/A
O'Dempseys Gales (Annanough) No
Castletown Gales (Slieve Bloom) N/A
Ballinakill Gales (Slieve Bloom) No
Colt Gales (Clonad) Yes
Ballyfin Gales (Mountmellick) Yes
Shanahoe Gales (Ballypickas) Yes

Ive heard that some of the bigger clubs, hurling ones in particular have been complaining about these gales teams and how it is an unfair advantage but the reality is that a colt/clonad or a shanahoe/ballypickas combination still wouldnt have 2/3rds the pick of a borris/kilcotton or a camross.

Thanks for putting that together.
Are you 100% on the yes and nos?
And are N/As still on the table or what?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

The Monument Road

The Kileen gaels is almost agreed although it may cause one or two defections from B/House.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

the only ones I heard

trumera colt  dead in the water...a capital NO
castletown slieve bloom dead in the water..NO
ballinakill slieve bloom...grey area...likely no but not dead
shanahoe pickas....YES.

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: The Monument Road on January 06, 2017, 06:37:03 PM
The Kileen gaels is almost agreed although it may cause one or two defections from B/House.

Is there really any need for Barrowhouse to exist on their own anyway.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Pablo Escobar on January 07, 2017, 01:04:30 PM

Barrowhouse were in existence long before Killeen.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Keyser Söze

Is there really any need for anyone or any one club to exist?
A club exists while it has a committee of people to run it, a community to sustain it, and players to field a team (irregardless of the level).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

haze

I'm not from Barrowhouse but I'm offended for them despite no offence I assume meant. Rural clubs are the essence of the GAA and where at all possible these clubs should be encouraged to continue to plough their lone proud furrow. Sure why should Leitrim, Louth or Laois exist on the intercounty scene.

In my view amalgamtions should be last resort only. We should look to maximise the numbers of young people playing GAA, not taking away avenues for them to play in the local community regardless of what that level may be. Of course ideally structures are in place to ensure ambitious and talented players have as some outlet to pit themselves against their peers but in any case the vibrancy of many rural communities throughout Ireland is underpinned by GAA activity and once sight is lost of that I think the GAA becomes a much different organisation.

hurlingmad

Quote from: haze on January 07, 2017, 07:46:27 PM

I'm not from Barrowhouse but I'm offended for them despite no offence I assume meant. Rural clubs are the essence of the GAA and where at all possible these clubs should be encouraged to continue to plough their lone proud furrow. Sure why should Leitrim, Louth or Laois exist on the intercounty scene.

In my view amalgamtions should be last resort only. We should look to maximise the numbers of young people playing GAA, not taking away avenues for them to play in the local community regardless of what that level may be. Of course ideally structures are in place to ensure ambitious and talented players have as some outlet to pit themselves against their peers but in any case the vibrancy of many rural communities throughout Ireland is underpinned by GAA activity and once sight is lost of that I think the GAA becomes a much different organisation.

Interesting post Haze
Its a tough one really, the talk over the years of Rathdowney and Errill and Borris and Kilcotton joining was shot down many times over the years and it has brought unity in the community instead of a firm "us vs them" mentality, when Errill reached the county final in 86 i think it was Sheamus Bracken was training them and wanted to use the rathdownry foeld to train one evening for whatever reason and Rathdowney refused, so to say we have come a long way is an understatement but I think underage amalgamations are vital to compete in A championships and develop young players but then there is the arguement that clubs that can put out 2 teams at junior and senior they have sufficent numbers to stay on their own

High Fielder

Even though you're clearly on a wind up, you make a valid point. There's a case for saying that clubs like Barrowhouse, Killeen and Kilcruise are fighting a losing battle. It will only ever be hard graft for small clubs to keep their ship afloat. The enjoyment that is gleaned from being part of a bigger set up is all but taken away when a small group of people are having to fund raise, train, organise , administrate and do the countless other tasks. I'm all for pooling resources when it has become so obvious that everything is a struggle. The GAA love this idea of volunteers giving up their time, but I don't think they have the first notion what that actually means

haze

Quote from: High Fielder on January 08, 2017, 12:08:23 PM

Even though you're clearly on a wind up, you make a valid point. There's a case for saying that clubs like Barrowhouse, Killeen and Kilcruise are fighting a losing battle. It will only ever be hard graft for small clubs to keep their ship afloat. The enjoyment that is gleaned from being part of a bigger set up is all but taken away when a small group of people are having to fund raise, train, organise , administrate and do the countless other tasks. I'm all for pooling resources when it has become so obvious that everything is a struggle. The GAA love this idea of volunteers giving up their time, but I don't think they have the first notion what that actually means

Anything that is worth anything is hard graft. I think if the basis for amalgamtions is that it's too hard to sustain a rural club because volunteers are no longer willing to give up and be generous with their very precious spare time then the backbone of the GAA is under threat. I think the frustration for me is when outsiders make judgements about certain clubs (more often than not rural ones) and wonder what is their point because they perceive it to be struggle. But sure it is a struggle but success sustains and success for rural clubs is much wider concept  for me than simply counting senior or even intermediate titles

High Fielder

I agree. It goes deeper than how many medals or trophies there are in pockets and cabinets. Sometimes, standing still and being able to fly the flag is success in some small clubs.

But let's not duck the issue here. The GAA is a very imbalanced and sometimes unreasonable organization that condones unequal opportunity. There is no way that some small clubs can ever compete with the bigger ones, and the same applies at county level too. The GAA has no remedy for this. Simply redoubling your efforts and/or getting more out of people will never be enough when resources and numbers are not on your side. In those situations, it is not fair to expect those not as well off to keep doing the same things over and over without reward. At the very least, every player who plays the sport should have access to the highest level. It's not a hard thing to ensure at local level, particularly with parish boundaries and borders being what they are. If something is not done soon, small clubs (intermediate and junior clubs in particular) will just become poaching grounds for Senior clubs. We're seeing far too much of that already in Laois and not a thing being done to stop it. An absolute scandal

Downtheroad

Quote from: High Fielder on January 08, 2017, 06:55:21 PM
I agree. It goes deeper than how many medals or trophies there are in pockets and cabinets. Sometimes, standing still and being able to fly the flag is success in some small clubs.

But let's not duck the issue here. The GAA is a very imbalanced and sometimes unreasonable organization that condones unequal opportunity. There is no way that some small clubs can ever compete with the bigger ones, and the same applies at county level too. The GAA has no remedy for this. Simply redoubling your efforts and/or getting more out of people will never be enough when resources and numbers are not on your side. In those situations, it is not fair to expect those not as well off to keep doing the same things over and over without reward. At the very least, every player who plays the sport should have access to the highest level. It's not a hard thing to ensure at local level, particularly with parish boundaries and borders being what they are. If something is not done soon, small clubs (intermediate and junior clubs in particular) will just become poaching grounds for Senior clubs. We're seeing far too much of that already in Laois and not a thing being done to stop it. An absolute scandal
The size of a club is often not the issue. Many small clubs are well run and know what they are about. From my own experience very few clubs here in Laois have plenty of "workers" with Rosenallis been one of the exceptions. For most clubs in the county, it's the same few faces that you associate with doing everything whether it's under 12 or adult. The model of the volunteer led community organisation will be severely tested in the coming years particularly in towns.  This is why clubs such as Mountrath, Mountmellick, Portarlington and Graigcullen will be under pressure as there is very little loyalty to GAA in urban areas. Kids will play the sport that is in fashion or often play nothing at all.  What I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that it may be necessary for the so called bigger urban clubs to need to amalgamate in order to survive as much as it may be necessary for the so called minnows.

beano

I disagree with u down the road, they're many examples of urban clubs doing very well without the need to almagamate.  The two newbridge clubs in Kildare, any dublin club. IF the club is well run and it has a good set up, the kids will always be attracted to it. That goes in any code.

Downtheroad

Quote from: beano on January 09, 2017, 03:47:48 PM
I disagree with u down the road, they're many examples of urban clubs doing very well without the need to almagamate.  The two newbridge clubs in Kildare, any dublin club. IF the club is well run and it has a good set up, the kids will always be attracted to it. That goes in any code.
The clubs you reference are "super" clubs with a significant middle class base.   In fact, the type of officer who runs these clubs are in nature almost undistinguishable from the chaps down in the local rugby club.  Naas is another classic example of the well run GAA club.  The urban clubs, I have in mind are much poorer and poverty is not just money but in ideas and ambition. The reality is that GAA is in trouble in working class areas as can be seen most clearly in Cork city.  Years ago, the local garda, teacher, banker moved to the small  town they got work in but nowadays, they head for the county town as in the case of Portlaoise.  If they decide to settle down, they either live in an upmarket part of Portlaoise or move out the country. This is why rural clubs wind up with a better class of punter running their clubs. This is exasperated even further with town folk with notions bringing the kids out to rural schools which denudes the talent and the ambition within the urban community even further. Most small town based clubs which are successful tend to have a rural hinterland. Even in Kilkenny City . the 3  principal city clubs have a rural base eg O'Loughlin Gaels the catchment area of which comes out to the Dunmore caves.