NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raginbull

Quote from: galwayman on March 17, 2019, 10:36:09 AM
Quote from: Duine Eile on March 16, 2019, 11:19:29 PM
Functional win for Galway today, plenty of the usual complaints but the form of john Daly, Danny Cummins and Ó Laoi are positives. Division 1 secured with a game to spare and still a chance to make a league final, all without a fairly big chunk of first team players leaves us in a good place heading into championship. Wonder will we see a couple of the Corofin boys against Tyrone next week, Silke and Molloy are badly needed in defence, O'Donnell and Bradshaw are done IMO.
Totally disagree re GOD and Brads.
Both still have plenty to offer

Bradshaw certainly does and having lads of this quality at least competing for places or coming off the bench is certainly preferential to consigning them to the scrapheap. I think we have better options for first teamers coming through but we need strength in depth in order to compete with the Dubs. We can't leave the same knackered 15 on while they empty the bench.

Main Street

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 17, 2019, 10:38:30 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 16, 2019, 09:47:40 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 16, 2019, 09:08:29 PM
Brilliant win tonight for Mayo on the road. Didn't give them a chance. Midfield is definitely AOS best position. Mattie Ruane a r3al find and took his goal well. Loftus didn't impress and I thought Boland did more than him when he went on for him. James Durcan was poor also. I have to say for a few minutes early in the second half I was getting frustrated with the lateral handpass shenanigans. Conditions were terrible but well done to the lads for digging it out. Monaghan next up, another difficult test.

Tonight's selection was very brave by Horan and makes the win even more remarkable. Ruane and McDonagh are keepers but Horan cannot be too pleased as regards panel development - especially forwards. Alright, there were some good performances there tonight but without Kevin McLoughlin we would have got nowhere near it. I'm pinning my hopes on Ryan O Donoghue - realising that he is out injured and has yet to make senior debut but that's where we are imo.
I think you are unduly pessimistic here, moy. After all, the conditions underfoot were pure cat ; it was an away game against our long time nemesis and it sure was brass monkey weather! Some played better than others but all put it on the line, no holding back.
I was definitely pleased with the level of determination for start to finish. That's why I wouldn't be too hard on Michael Plunkett, he made a few poor choices but he has shown good promise in the past and I'd add him to the keeper list.
BTW, what's the story with Evan Reagan? Is he still hampered by injuries  or has he gone off the boil? He has shown great promise alright but, since his first shoulder injury, must be 4 years ago, he's not the force I thought he'd be.
I'd like to see a rematch of these teams in the League final, a neutral ground and better conditions.

clarshack

If Mayo and Monaghan were to draw and Tyrone were to beat Galway by 2+, would Tyrone go through on score difference or Mayo on head to head?

Itchy

I had a dream....

Mayo beat Monaghsn by 5 points
Cavan amazingly beat Dublins C team by 2 points. The A&B teams flew out on their holidays during the week
Rossies push Kerry hard and lead until the end only for that new O Se fella to kick a 60m free over the bar for a draw.

Incredibly cavan, monaghan and Ross all finished on 4 points and cavan's superior score difference keeps them up.

Captain Obvious

Look likes Monaghan will be the first team in Division 1 to stay up on 4 points since Armagh in 2011. If Dublin carry their league form into the championship they won't win the All Ireland however that is a big if.

Over the Bar

Have the usual suspect Dubs on the board gotten over their team being dominated by 14 men in Croker yet?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Over the Bar on March 17, 2019, 10:57:58 PM
Have the usual suspect Dubs on the board gotten over their team being dominated by 14 men in Croker yet?

They don't care! Jez, it's a league game in March!

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 17, 2019, 11:05:15 PM

They don't care! Jez, it's a league game in March!
Lucky for the Dubs there's no offensive mark in the championship

Itchy

Lads the dubs have everyone exactly where they want them.

Crete Boom

Quote from: hardstation on March 17, 2019, 11:16:35 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 17, 2019, 11:13:45 PM
Lads the dubs have everyone exactly where they want them.
Nope. I'd say we've definitely flown under their radar.
Surely they are not waiting in the long grass are they?

Jell 0 Biafra

Well, by now we're used to Tyrone giving us a hard time in Croker in March.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 17, 2019, 10:38:30 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 16, 2019, 09:47:40 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 16, 2019, 09:08:29 PM
Brilliant win tonight for Mayo on the road. Didn't give them a chance. Midfield is definitely AOS best position. Mattie Ruane a r3al find and took his goal well. Loftus didn't impress and I thought Boland did more than him when he went on for him. James Durcan was poor also. I have to say for a few minutes early in the second half I was getting frustrated with the lateral handpass shenanigans. Conditions were terrible but well done to the lads for digging it out. Monaghan next up, another difficult test.

Tonight's selection was very brave by Horan and makes the win even more remarkable. Ruane and McDonagh are keepers but Horan cannot be too pleased as regards panel development - especially forwards. Alright, there were some good performances there tonight but without Kevin McLoughlin we would have got nowhere near it. I'm pinning my hopes on Ryan O Donoghue - realising that he is out injured and has yet to make senior debut but that's where we are imo.
I think you are unduly pessimistic here, moy. After all, the conditions underfoot were pure cat ; it was an away game against our long time nemesis and it sure was brass monkey weather! Some played better than others but all put it on the line, no holding back.
I was definitely pleased with the level of determination for start to finish. That's why I wouldn't be too hard on Michael Plunkett, he made a few poor choices but he has shown good promise in the past and I'd add him to the keeper list.
BTW, what's the story with Evan Reagan? Is he still hampered by injuries  or has he gone off the boil? He has shown great promise alright but, since his first shoulder injury, must be 4 years ago, he's not the force I thought he'd be.

I know I'm a bit pessimistic Lar but a bunch of balloons compared to Larry, Farr, and Bunker ;D ;D ;D
As I said earlier Ruane and McDonagh are a big plus. Farr. called out a couple. You saw the game so .....
You would have also seen Regan's latest injury - shoulder again. It was on tv . He was never going to be around for last 3 games. Remains to be seen if he can realise his ability after so many set backs.
Still I think we are solid going ahead. We could get a boost from Ryan O Donoghue and maybe Diskin before the days start getting short again. Treacy (rolled ankle badly v Dubs) can fly, kick scores and frees if needed. I'd be optimistic as long as we dont do the usual silly stuff v Galway.

Never beat the deeler

Brutal the level of ignorance in our media with the standings. I have seen it reported that Cavan are relegated and that Mayo are guaranteed a league final appearance with a win.
Neither statement is correct.

While it is unlikely, if Cavan win, Ros draw and Monaghan lose and if Monaghan's losing margin plus Cavan's winning margin is greater than 5 (or equal to 5 and Cavan score 6 points more than Monaghan) then Cavan would stay up.

If Mayo, Galway and Kerry all win (or if Kerry draw), Mayo will finish third.
If Mayo and Galway win and Kerry lose, it would depend on margins. Mayo currently +7, Galway +0 and Kerry +11. Most likely Mayo and Kerry in this scenario, but could technically be any 2 of the three.
If Mayo draw and Tyrone beat Galway, Mayo would finish second by virtue of H2H win over Tyrone.
If Mayo draw and Galway draw or win, Galway would finish second.
If Mayo lose they cannot finish in the top 2.

The only way Kerry do not qualify for the final is if Mayo and Galway both win well and Kerry lose heavily. Galway win plus Kerry loss would need to be 12 points
Hasta la victoria siempre

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 18, 2019, 03:05:51 AM
Brutal the level of ignorance in our media with the standings. I have seen it reported that Cavan are relegated and that Mayo are guaranteed a league final appearance with a win.
Neither statement is correct.

While it is unlikely, if Cavan win, Ros draw and Monaghan lose and if Monaghan's losing margin plus Cavan's winning margin is greater than 5 (or equal to 5 and Cavan score 6 points more than Monaghan) then Cavan would stay up.

If Mayo, Galway and Kerry all win (or if Kerry draw), Mayo will finish third.
If Mayo and Galway win and Kerry lose, it would depend on margins. Mayo currently +7, Galway +0 and Kerry +11. Most likely Mayo and Kerry in this scenario, but could technically be any 2 of the three.
If Mayo draw and Tyrone beat Galway, Mayo would finish second by virtue of H2H win over Tyrone.
If Mayo draw and Galway draw or win, Galway would finish second.
If Mayo lose they cannot finish in the top 2.

The only way Kerry do not qualify for the final is if Mayo and Galway both win well and Kerry lose heavily. Galway win plus Kerry loss would need to be 12 points

Neglected to add - Tyrone can qualify for the league final with a win over Galway if Mayo lose to Monaghan.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Hound

Quote from: the goal was on on March 17, 2019, 09:56:51 AM
Tyrone were excellent, dubs execution poor on night. There defence was missing fitzsimmonds mc Mahon mc caffrey and the wee boy who usually picks up sludden so they will tighten up there as things go on. Lost small too and James mc Carthy looked off the pace. The gap has closed and dubs forwards particularly there dubs not as dynamic as they were.
Agreed, fully deserved victory for Tyrone.

The return of those backs doesn't rectify our biggest weakness. We've nobody to win a high ball, one on one, against a good fielder. We've had that weakness since we lost O'Carroll, and it's amazing it hasn't cost us.

Wouldn't be surprised to see McCarthy switched back there if someone does try and expose that in the summer.

Good win for Mayo too. I think Ruane looks a find.