Laochra Gael Peter Canavan

Started by clarshack, January 06, 2008, 04:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Some very interesting points made there alright lads
Must say when I watched the Meath incidents again last night after 11 years of calming down I still feel a lot of Meaths tactics we're pre-empted

If you were a coach as crafty as Boylan would you not tell yer players to try take their main man outta the game and what is the best time and way to do it.
When watching it last night though I did think how did that shoulder do so much damage to his ankle. It looked like he caught him on the head or neck but as someone said it must have been how he fell on his ankle.

I'm sure our Meath colleagues will roll their eyes to heaven AGAIN when I mention it but no matter what his past record was like, How any fair minded person can say that Martin McConnell didnt mean to stand on Doohers head just amazes me. I think it might have been the Boylan influence on him though.
That 1996 defeat certainly disgusted many of us Tyrone football purists and so maybe thats why today we have a very different style.

Remember the freak injuries Peter got v Kerry in the 2003 Semi. The Pony was nowhere near him when he went over on his ankle.
Is it the way he twists and turns so fast.

I know he was no angel himself but man he took some abuse over the years from local club football to that International game with that Alkermanis p***k.
There certainly was a reaction from most teams to get him either injured or to try to rise him into a response and sending off
Other county fans used to love seeing him getting sent off and there certainly was a period where players would Just grap his neck and not let go hoping he would re-taliate.

I was disgusted myself though with his lunge on Gooch at end of game in 2005 but I suppose he's received such treatment so often himself and he'd do anything to not let a 2nd AI slip. Imagine though if it had of been Ricey or Galvin from Kerry on Peter.

I was very impressed with Jarlath's Fair and kind words and his massive complements of Peter and I loved Benny's comment about his shiny head blinded him and so he couldn't see the ball properly.
Many of the other Armagh lads in recent squads would find it hard to be so honest and how most of their fans would admit to HATING the wee baldy S**TE.

It sure would be nice to get a collection of all his scores on one DVD
I believe once he headed a goal in a charity match in the USA.

I noticed at the end him playing with his son. Has he only one son then?
Have we any good Tyrone women out there willing to help him add to that tally?  :o
He's got a huge act to follow but if its anything like Brian McGuigan we should be grand in 20 years time

downredblack

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Hardy on January 11, 2008, 01:06:34 PM

In summary, McDermott made no contact at all with Peter, other than to trip over him as he fell. Canavan's injury was a very nasty (ugly to look at on the video) twisted ankle, caused when he caught his foot under himself as he leaned back to take the shot (and avoid McDermott's lunge).

Can I run a hypothetical question by you Hardy for a minute, in the interest of some weekend banter?

Suppose you and I are up on top of a cliff somewhere, and I try to run you through with a sword (I'm very bad that way). Now, is it only murder if you stay still on the edge of the cliff and take the blade? If you fall off the cliff to your doom, in trying to avoid my lunge, just as Canavan tried to avoid McDermott's lunge, does that mean that I don't end up before the beak to answer for my crime? :)

And what the hell is Dessie Farrell doing up there as your pic? Are his plans for world domination not advancing fast enough as it is?

Jinxy

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 11, 2008, 03:58:30 PM
Some very interesting points made there alright lads
Must say when I watched the Meath incidents again last night after 11 years of calming down I still feel a lot of Meaths tactics we're pre-empted

If you were a coach as crafty as Boylan would you not tell yer players to try take their main man outta the game and what is the best time and way to do it.
When watching it last night though I did think how did that shoulder do so much damage to his ankle. It looked like he caught him on the head or neck but as someone said it must have been how he fell on his ankle.

I'm sure our Meath colleagues will roll their eyes to heaven AGAIN when I mention it but no matter what his past record was like, How any fair minded person can say that Martin McConnell didnt mean to stand on Doohers head just amazes me. I think it might have been the Boylan influence on him though.
That 1996 defeat certainly disgusted many of us Tyrone football purists and so maybe thats why today we have a very different style.

Remember the freak injuries Peter got v Kerry in the 2003 Semi. The Pony was nowhere near him when he went over on his ankle.
Is it the way he twists and turns so fast.

I know he was no angel himself but man he took some abuse over the years from local club football to that International game with that Alkermanis p***k.
There certainly was a reaction from most teams to get him either injured or to try to rise him into a response and sending off
Other county fans used to love seeing him getting sent off and there certainly was a period where players would Just grap his neck and not let go hoping he would re-taliate.

I was disgusted myself though with his lunge on Gooch at end of game in 2005 but I suppose he's received such treatment so often himself and he'd do anything to not let a 2nd AI slip. Imagine though if it had of been Ricey or Galvin from Kerry on Peter.

I was very impressed with Jarlath's Fair and kind words and his massive complements of Peter and I loved Benny's comment about his shiny head blinded him and so he couldn't see the ball properly.
Many of the other Armagh lads in recent squads would find it hard to be so honest and how most of their fans would admit to HATING the wee baldy S**TE.

It sure would be nice to get a collection of all his scores on one DVD
I believe once he headed a goal in a charity match in the USA.

I noticed at the end him playing with his son. Has he only one son then?
Have we any good Tyrone women out there willing to help him add to that tally?  :o
He's got a huge act to follow but if its anything like Brian McGuigan we should be grand in 20 years time

He's on the team of the century so you could at least get his name right. As for the comments about John McDermotts wild eyes, angry hair and flaring nostrils, give me a break. Tyrone got a footballing lesson that day. You should be grateful to us. 8)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Iolar I'm tired of all this to be honest. And of the mindreaders who can tell what was in Martin O'Connell's head, even though he clearly wasn't looking (wild-eyed or otherwise) at where he was putting his feet and was never even booked, as far as I remember in his inter-county career. Yet some people are not prepared to give even such an exemplary sportsman the benefit of the doubt and prefer to brand him as a violent thug based on what they "feel". (At least they are not as bad as the scum who terrorised his family with anonymous threatening phone calls). The same people, apparently were in the Meath dressingroom that day, as they are able to report to us on the playing instructions delivered by Sean Boylan.

Anyway, to answer your question, I can't add much to what I've said already. The popular myth is that McDermott injured Canavan. The FACT is he didn't make contact at all . Everything else is speculation, including McDermott's intent, the wildness of his eyes, whether he would have collided shoulder-to-shoulder if Peter hadn't leaned back, etc. Again, people are free to speculate away and even to believe that McDermott meant to kill him, if that's what they think from what they saw (though they might offer some evidence). I just thought I was doing the record a service by recording the facts, for a change.

As for my avatar – it's an (obviously failed) attempt at irony, lampooning Dessie and the GPA politburo, by turning one of Dessie's infamous sound bytes back on him.

Quarterback

I was fortunate enough to have been taught by the great man....One of my fondest memories of peter was at school.  It was after an u 16 training session...... session had ended and we were walking towards the changing room.  Peter had a pair of wellies on him, a ball in one hand, and a new pair off puma kings in the other.  We were walking on the sideline and a few of the guys challenged him to put the ball over the bar from the sideline on the 14 yard line....The deal was made that if he missed he would hand over the boots.....So he takes a step back, wellies, leggins and rain jacket intact and screws the ball over the bar with the outside of his boot....We were amazed....class stuff...

EC Unique

Quote from: EC Unique on January 11, 2008, 02:25:31 PM
When I try to play it on tg4.tv I can hear the words, music etc but the screen remains green with no picture at all. Do I have to download some software to be able to watch it?? ???

Anyone?????

By the way Hardy, he has 2 sons.. :) :)

magpie seanie

Worked for me ECUnique. Wouldn't have a clue what to do if it went wrong.

A good show considering the limited time available.

Minder

Was there not a thread before "Would you rather have Geezer or Peter the Great as your captain" and someone made reference to some of his less admitrable traits, something about going into the changing rooms after a University game and breaking some fellas jaw.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

EC Unique

Quote from: Minder on January 11, 2008, 05:10:30 PM
Was there not a thread before "Would you rather have Geezer or Peter the Great as your captain" and someone made reference to some of his less admitrable traits, something about going into the changing rooms after a University game and breaking some fellas jaw.

Shame on Geezer for doing that >:( >:(

ONeill

If you zoom in close, and slow down, on McDermott you can see him laughing and saying "take that ye baldy runt'. And he has wild eyes.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

That was the University of life - didn't Art say he was only a wee nippy handy forward - obviously he grew up after going to university ! 

The Meath boys were the professors in that university - Chancellor Lyons was head man ! Vice Chancellor Robbie O'Malley

Gabriel_Hurl

Great show - just spent my lunch hour watching it

Had some dozy bird come over and ask me what language that was the people were speaking - she thought it sounded like something from Lord of the Rings

Mike Sheehy

John "Crazy eyes" McDermott relives the 1996 AI semi-final

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.