Who do you think will win the Sam "08" - excluding Kerry

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 12, 2008, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will get to the AIF and have a chance of winning Sam "08" - excluding Kerry?

Armagh
Dublin
Monaghan
Mayo
Donegal
Cork
Tyrone
Galway
Derry
Meath
Down
Roscommon
Fermanagh
Louth
Kildare
Westmeath
Sligo
Laois
Wexford
Waterford

Aaron Boone

Only one team can win Sam and that will be Kerry. Galvin's speech has already written & approved and flights from Farranfore are already fully booked for final weekend.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteLads, put the house (and I mean the WHOLE HOUSE) on Cork to beat Kerry in Munster this year. Kerry will not win the All-Ireland. I think there are a number of teams who would give them a serious rattle in Croker. Look at last year, scraped by Monaghan by a point, the Dubs by 2 and then Cork collapsed catastrophically in the final. You'd think they were the Harlem Globetrotters the way some people go on about them. The last closely contested All-Ireland final Kerry won was in 2000. Some would say "It hasn't been a contest since because they are so good." More to do with Mayo and Cork rolling over for them in 2004, 2006 & 2007 if you ask me. They were both beaten before the ball was even thrown in.

Jinxy, you  are rapidly turning into a Liam Hayes wannabee.

Meath rolled over at the sight of a Cork jersey and they in turn rolled over at the sight of a Kerry jersey. Thanks lads, its touching how ye love us so much that ye give us all these easy All-Irelands !

Kerry Mike

QuoteStephen Cluxton was the reason you didnt beat us last year.

Famous last Words your Holiness.....He was the reason the Dubs did not beat Kerry too!!!
Will Clucko be playing the sweeper role again this year  ;).

Have voted for Tyrone and Monaghan, Tyrone if they can get a fit team out wont be far away if they regain the form of a few years ago. Monaghan if they can rediscover the drive of last summer and if they can get their forwards scoring and stop pinning their scoring hopes on Finlay and Freeman.

Besides Derry the league has given very few indicators for the Summer ahead, and I think Derry will not win an All Ireland. The Dubs will bottle it again sometime during the summer, they just can't help themselves and once the hype machine cranks up they will be goosed.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

southdown

After winning this years McKenna cup you would be silly to look past Down ;D

Its between Derry, Dublin or Galway.  I don't think tyrone or Armagh have the hunger they once had.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteOnly one team can win Sam and that will be Kerry. Galvin's speech has already written & approved and flights from Farranfore are already fully booked for final weekend.

The standard of cute-hoorism that one gets outside the Kingdom is quite poor really.

Lads, ye forget that even when we are shite everybody installs us as favorites. We dont pay too much attention to it.

Maguire01

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 12, 2008, 08:34:16 PM
Have voted for Tyrone and Monaghan, Tyrone if they can get a fit team out wont be far away if they regain the form of a few years ago. Monaghan if they can rediscover the drive of last summer and if they can get their forwards scoring and stop pinning their scoring hopes on Finlay and Freeman.

Besides Derry the league has given very few indicators for the Summer ahead, and I think Derry will not win an All Ireland. The Dubs will bottle it again sometime during the summer, they just can't help themselves and once the hype machine cranks up they will be goosed.

I think Tyrone and Armagh have a bit left in them yet and anyone who underestimates them would be a fool.  I think Monaghan have the potential to spread the scoring around - Woods, McManus, Corey and Gollogly in particular could make an impression, midfield was the biggest worry during the league - hopefully that can be sorted.

As for Derry, they have the potential, but many would say they have had it for years, yet always choke at some stage during the summer.  They've won numerous National Leagues without managing to follow it up in the Summer.  If not Monaghan, i wouldn't mind seeing Derry have a run this year (through the back door preferably!), but i'd still have my doubts.

Jinxy

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 12, 2008, 08:26:27 PM
QuoteLads, put the house (and I mean the WHOLE HOUSE) on Cork to beat Kerry in Munster this year. Kerry will not win the All-Ireland. I think there are a number of teams who would give them a serious rattle in Croker. Look at last year, scraped by Monaghan by a point, the Dubs by 2 and then Cork collapsed catastrophically in the final. You'd think they were the Harlem Globetrotters the way some people go on about them. The last closely contested All-Ireland final Kerry won was in 2000. Some would say "It hasn't been a contest since because they are so good." More to do with Mayo and Cork rolling over for them in 2004, 2006 & 2007 if you ask me. They were both beaten before the ball was even thrown in.

Jinxy, you  are rapidly turning into a Liam Hayes wannabee.

Meath rolled over at the sight of a Cork jersey and they in turn rolled over at the sight of a Kerry jersey. Thanks lads, its touching how ye love us so much that ye give us all these easy All-Irelands !

Don't forget the mother and father of all rolling overs! I'll give you a hint, you lost by 15 points. 8)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on May 12, 2008, 11:07:17 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 12, 2008, 08:26:27 PM

Jinxy, you  are rapidly turning into a Liam Hayes wannabee.

Don't forget the mother and father of all rolling overs! I'll give you a hint, you lost by 15 points. 8)

Was that Paidi's last day in charge ??

Jinxy

Didn't look like there was anyone in charge that day.....
If you were any use you'd be playing.

parkoncrokie

The only way kery can be beaten is in the qualifiers
by either Derry /Tyrone or to a lesser extent Donegal
If the get through the qualifiers they are home
and hosed

Bogball XV

Quote from: Doire abĂș on May 12, 2008, 05:32:05 PM
Derry would've beaten Dublin last year but for the referee. No bitterness though, we missed chances to beat youse anyway.
If we'd beat Dublin last year it would have been robbery - I think the dubs always had us well in hand - we could've beat them, as we had the chances, but if we'd converted some of those goal chances, I think the Dubs would have stepped up a gear again.

For this year, I just don't know - Kerry are well beatable, as long as teams believe that.  Derry may well flatter to deceive again, Ulster's tough, both sides of the draw are tough this time and there's nobody I'd rule out of causing a shock.
Antrim could beat Cavan, Down could beat Tyrone, Fermanagh could take Monaghan, Derry could take Donegal, Armagh will be in the semi and might be the best bet of the lot for the title.
Leinster is wide open, I wonder could Louth do something in a few weeks time?  We've seen them put it up to Tyrone and Cork over the past few years, if they can get over their inferiority complex against the Dubs, you'd never know?  Kildare have been very quiet, their league wasn't too bad at all, could McGeeney take them to the title?
Munster, I'm really looking forward to Munster, there's Tipp on the up again, Limerick well capable of causing a shock, Waterford preparing quietly, well, whilst there's a little truth to all of that bumph, this is a disaster and is the best reason for getting rid of the ridiculously unbalanced system we have.
Connaught, seems to be a straight shoot out, but again the underdogs are well capable of making it difficult for the big boys, maybe Mayo?

Overall, Armagh, Dublin and hopefully Derry may cause the most problems, but, it won't work out like that.

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 12, 2008, 03:47:37 PM
Only meself voting for Donegal so far - we're always better for being the underdog anyway.  :P

I think Dinny has a term of endearment for Liverpool fans that might just fit you Gaoth Dobhair! :D

J70

Derry and Dublin, assuming Derry can put a run of performances together, would be the best of the rest in my view.

Donegal, I regret to say, haven't a hope in hell of going all the way.

marty88

Teams that have a good chance of Winning Sam

Derry
Tyrone
Galway
Dublin

Very outside bet

Armagh
Monaghan.

Everyone else, not a hope!
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

stephenite

I voted for Derry and Dublin, but realistically I don't believe that the Dubs will an AI under Pillar, he's the wrong man in that job and if he wasn't there I think a lot of the current Dublin panel would have AI medals in their pocket by now, Derry looked good in the league, but so too did Donegal last year and I don't think it's a realistic indicator. Best thing that happened to Kerry this year was losing the League final - hard to see past them but I really hope that someone rolls them in Croke Park this year - don't care who as long as someone manages it.