Laois Senior Footballers 2024

Started by les Antiques, December 31, 2023, 12:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Saint

Looking forward to Tipp next Sunday. We are where we are as regards Division 4 football and there's no point in lamenting the quality of opposition. It's not too long ago that Carlow gave us a bit to think about in a Leinster semifinal in Croke Park.  I'd give the lads a lot of credit for sticking to the plan when we went 5-0 down, and to be very fair, it looks like there's a bit of a plan and structure in place. Yet again Shaun Fitz was excellent, he's getting on a tonne of ball in games and always looks like he can make something positive happen. We look pretty fit and mobile and there's a lot of honest hard graft being put in on all lines. And for the first time in many years there's a bit of size about the team. Damon Larkin was influential again, Kevin Swayne was a ball of energy and workrate, and I thin in Ben Dempsey we have a really good prospect. He's very mobile, always trying to get forward, and a solid defender. Getting Rioghan Murphy back will also improve the team. In all, there's nothing to be critical of, and plenty to be positive about. We have a young, fit and hungry team who look fully bought in. Looking forward to Thurles!

redsetanta

You can't ask anymore from the team than winning.

They have done as much as is possible and promotion should be all we are looing for right now.

If/when that's achieved they can then turn their attention to the Tailteann Cup.

Great to see the public getting behind the team and special mention to Laois Gaels for the efforts in making the match nights that bit more special for Laois juveniles.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Sideline12

I see only 5 players from the team that lined out last Saturday evening were on the starting 15 that played Down in the Tailteann Cup a fews months ago that's some turned aound of players,so fair play to management and players to 3 wins from 3 ,next Tipp win that and we are almost there.

Joeythelips

No point getting too excited, Laois won first few games last year also, but it does seem like there is a proper buy in from all to what new management team want from them and a plan in place.
Get promoted, beat Offaly, give the Dubs a reasonable rattle and get to Taitleann cup final seems like goals that are within reach this year. 

The PRO

Quote from: Joeythelips on February 19, 2024, 09:19:10 PMGet promoted, beat Offaly, give the Dubs a reasonable rattle and get to Taitleann cup final seems like goals that are within reach this year. 
Think that's spot on. Promotion is a must, would be nice to turn over Offaly, you'd be hoping if we got a shot at Dublin that McNulty would have us better organised than our last couple of meetings and would be nice to go well in Tailteann Cup.
At the moment it's not really clear who'll be the better teams in the Tailteann Cup but you could certainly wind up with teams like Kildare, Cork, Louth, Clare, Westmeath in there who are all very decent (by our standards).

Blueforever

Just back from Thurles very poor performance from Laois against extremely limited opponents the amount of times posession coughed up was alarming at times under very little pressure ref was hard on us only positive was the result

SCFC

Got out of jail a bit today. Couple of missed goal chances for Tipp and a missed penalty.
Dug in well though. Sign of a team going well to win while not performing to their usual standards.
Thought the subs made a huge difference. Lowry was brave, showing for ball, O'Flynn brought unbelievable pace and energy around the middle and Lillis steadied things and kicked a fine point.
Shaun Fitz, Evan and Brian Byrne were good throughout.

Sideline12

Won today but disappointed with our performance two many turn over giving away silly frees didn't moved the ball fast enough and  our approach play offensively was quite poor our subs made a difference still lots to work to improve for the management team, London up next.

Jd

Good win on Sunday. Sometimes you just have to grind out a win and I heard only last night that we have never beaten Tipp in semple before. The performance was not good but signs of a well drilled team was that we got a result. Dempsey is a good corner back really aggressive and sticky.two half backs were ok but not really driving forward,but maybe that's what they're told to do Timmons good in tackle and really thundered into the last 15 mins. Midfield hadn't their best day out. Just looke a bit off the pace. Lillis made a noticeable difference when he came in with a bit of cuteness and calmness on the ball. I thought our half forward line all did well considering he workload they had as midfielders struggled. The two outside lads ran themselves in to the ground Swaine in particular was popping up everywhere in the first half and Dunne appears to be growing into his role and is always available for an out ball and used it well (bar one disaster which could have gotten Fitzpatrick killed)
Evan was very good.and Barry is probably playing a role not suited to him as he's popping up on the full back line defending rather than close to goal. Our subs did well with O Flynn really catching the eye. I think he had a hand in the last three scores. Overall it's a more positive result than negative. Great Laois crowd down there too which is great to see and I happened to be talking to a player since and he said that the players noticed it too

The Saint

Poor stuff on Sunday, make no mistake about that. I know a win is a win but that was a hard watch for most of the game. On the positive side the 6 backs, and keeper obviously, look to be well settled and set up for the year. BD and MT were solid throughout. Our midfield had a quiet day but that's on the back of 3 really good performances previously, so no big problems there. Honestly thought two of the 6 forwards, who shall remain nameless, could have gone at half time though.. their contribution was minimal. Evan was good again and you could feel the energy leaving the team when he got the black card, the flip side of that I suppose is everyone got a big lift when he came back in, coupled with a few good subs at the same time. A worry is that we looked lethargic again in the first half, very similar to that bad 20 min spell vs Carlow. That needs sorting as we hopefully near a league final. Final point, this craic with Killian Roches crusades is exciting, and profitable. He's causing a real conundrum for opposing keepers on their kick-outs, and long may it continue. It actually makes sense what he's doing and we got massive joy from it particularly against Carlow and Longford in the 2nd halves, BUT...I'd like to see him stay put when we're a point up with 2mins left!! Tipp went for broke and had 3 vs 2 in our half and our keeper was STILL up contesting a kick-out. In general though, we're benefiting big time from this, and even if/when it goes wrong once we should persist with it. IT WORKS! Overall, great to stay winning, plenty to work on, and still looking like twice the team and setup of the last few years.

georgedoylesrightleg

Quote from: Jd on February 27, 2024, 08:39:59 AMGood win on Sunday. Sometimes you just have to grind out a win and I heard only last night that we have never beaten Tipp in semple before. The performance was not good but signs of a well drilled team was that we got a result. Dempsey is a good corner back really aggressive and sticky.two half backs were ok but not really driving forward,but maybe that's what they're told to do Timmons good in tackle and really thundered into the last 15 mins. Midfield hadn't their best day out. Just looke a bit off the pace. Lillis made a noticeable difference when he came in with a bit of cuteness and calmness on the ball. I thought our half forward line all did well considering he workload they had as midfielders struggled. The two outside lads ran themselves in to the ground Swaine in particular was popping up everywhere in the first half and Dunne appears to be growing into his role and is always available for an out ball and used it well (bar one disaster which could have gotten Fitzpatrick killed)
Evan was very good.and Barry is probably playing a role not suited to him as he's popping up on the full back line defending rather than close to goal. Our subs did well with O Flynn really catching the eye. I think he had a hand in the last three scores. Overall it's a more positive result than negative. Great Laois crowd down there too which is great to see and I happened to be talking to a player since and he said that the players noticed it too
setle, we only played tip once befre in semple

Jd

County Man

Have to say we were very fortunate to come away with the 2 points but we'll take it!

The strength of the panel is key. Eoin Lowry, Kieran Lillis and Sean O'Flynn made key impacts when they came on. It was pleasing that we found a way to win with those 3 late scores. Great team spirit.

Evan O'Carroll is massive for us. Our main man. We struggled for sure when he got the black card.

Shooting will have to improve the next day. A lot of scorable chances missed v Tipperary. We have to be more ruthless as the season goes on.

Still plenty of positives. 4 wins from 4, very much in the driving seat for promotion. Ben Dempsey, Brian Byrne and Shaun Fitzpatrick had good games again.

At this point, we have the next 2 games at home v London and Leitrim. Hopefully good support shows up again like against Carlow and Tipperary and we can continue our winning ways.

Butch Cassidy

I see Cahir Healy named centre back for London. I'm sure the Laois people will give Cahir a great reception this evening, one of the most dedicated players we've ever produced.

Laois by 6

redsetanta

Laois came through the match as predicted. I take it Cahir got a good reception. He made the trip from London every other weekend for the county not so long ago.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi