Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In hiding

Is the Tyrone vs Donegal minor game on Tyrone TV this weekend?

omagh_gael

Quote from: In hiding on October 19, 2020, 10:56:30 PM
Is the Tyrone vs Donegal minor game on Tyrone TV this weekend?

https://pairctv.com/

This crowd have the rights to all the ulster minor matches

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 19, 2020, 01:29:17 PM
Quote from: the goal was on on October 19, 2020, 01:23:39 PM
Looks a strong chance season will be cancelled so that's Harte back next year again 100% if that happens
Wouldn't fancy that trip to Castlebar to stay in Div 1. Unusual for a team to be relegated on 6 points.

You would have to say it looks like Tyrone are going down. Mayo are a decent team, they gave Galway a bad enough hammering too. Worryingly they are a bigger side than Tyrone so can't even see them going down that path to get a win.

O'Shea v McNamee on edge of square might not happen, Tyrone won't be as naive as Galway defensively at the weekend, there'll be 2 or 3 men ready for the break.

Lee Keegan could pick up McKenna, that would be a real indicator of where McKenna is next week.

With regards to new faces in the panel, I was told the only Dungannon player of interest was Donaghy. McNulty won't go back to county panel. In fairness, Dungannon run to the Championship was heart and desire, a lot of those players are very small in stature - I know that was thrown out window in Club Championship but County level is a different animal.

Nobody 'new' is being called up - You might see Canavan and Murnaghan return to senior panel for this weekend.

BennyHarp

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 20, 2020, 10:15:35 AM
Looks a strong chance season will be cancelled so that's Harte back next year again 100% if that happens
Wouldn't fancy that trip to Castlebar to stay in Div 1. Unusual for a team to be relegated on 6 points.

You would have to say it looks like Tyrone are going down. Mayo are a decent team, they gave Galway a bad enough hammering too. Worryingly they are a bigger side than Tyrone so can't even see them going down that path to get a win.

O'Shea v McNamee on edge of square might not happen, Tyrone won't be as naive as Galway defensively at the weekend, there'll be 2 or 3 men ready for the break.

Lee Keegan could pick up McKenna, that would be a real indicator of where McKenna is next week.

With regards to new faces in the panel, I was told the only Dungannon player of interest was Donaghy. McNulty won't go back to county panel. In fairness, Dungannon run to the Championship was heart and desire, a lot of those players are very small in stature - I know that was thrown out window in Club Championship but County level is a different animal.

Nobody 'new' is being called up - You might see Canavan and Murnaghan return to senior panel for this weekend.

Have you seen the Dungannon team? The Walshes, The McNultys, The Molloys, Oran Mallon, Paddy Quinn are all 6ft or above. Throw in the Barkers, Conal Devlin and  Keifer Morgan who are study fellas then you have more than enough physicality to cope with having one or two lads who may be slight in stature. Mark McKearney and Paul Donaghy where the stand out talented footballers in Tyrone club football this year. McKearney may be small but anyone who has ever seen him play will have to admit that he has never once been found wanting in the physical stakes. He is a obvious upgrade on Tiernan McCann, mcKernan and both McGearys, not to mention eternal panellist Aidan McCrory. In my view McKearney is ready to go straight into the starting 15. Donaghy may need more time but is a talent, along with Lee Brennan that we should be doing all we can to nurture.
That was never a square ball!!

God14

Canavan and Murnaghan are good prospects but this year is too soon for them

Dissapointed Donaghy hasn't got a chance. He couldn't have done any worse than say, Ronan Oneill or Conall McCann. Donaghy full of confidence just now, it was a perfect opportunity to try him out. Management seem unimaginative, rigid and stubborn

Is McBrearty is available for the championship game?

Agree with other posters on here. It's time to play hampsey, mattie and mckenna in their best positions, and let the midfielders in the squad at least compete in that area.
Mattie and Hampsey are not that effective in there, and its reducing the affectiveness of the team overall without them in the defence and attack

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 20, 2020, 10:35:48 AM

Have you seen the Dungannon team? The Walshes, The McNultys, The Molloys, Oran Mallon, Paddy Quinn are all 6ft or above. Throw in the Barkers, Conal Devlin and  Keifer Morgan who are study fellas then you have more than enough physicality to cope with having one or two lads who may be slight in stature. Mark McKearney and Paul Donaghy where the stand out talented footballers in Tyrone club football this year. McKearney may be small but anyone who has ever seen him play will have to admit that he has never once been found wanting in the physical stakes. He is a obvious upgrade on Tiernan McCann, mcKernan and both McGearys, not to mention eternal panellist Aidan McCrory. In my view McKearney is ready to go straight into the starting 15. Donaghy may need more time but is a talent, along with Lee Brennan that we should be doing all we can to nurture.

None of them are getting into a Tyrone starting team, some could make panel. Paudie McNulty is the best of the lot but if he goes back or not is entirely up to him.

Paddy Quinn was there long enough, never made it. He was also on the bench for his own club at stages this year.

Mark McKearney is a good player, straight into the County Senior Team though....not happening under Harte - you know yourself that Tyrone don't just throw players in like that.

I would just expect him to be a target, I could see Patton or Beggan launching 7 or 8 kicks on top of him and they would be on top of him. Could he be Tyrone's Ryan McHugh or Eoin Murchan? Maybe....but I wouldn't be holding my breath seeing him in Senior County Colours.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 20, 2020, 10:45:54 AM

not happening under Harte - you know yourself that Tyrone don't just throw players in like that.

To be fair we do.

I can think of a number of incidents of it with 2015 being a big year.

Rory Brennan was called into the squad in 2015, barely featured in the league and was put in marking Ryan McHugh in the first round of Championship.

Meyler and Richie Donnelly were added to the panel after the Donegal defeat that year. Donnelly started the next qualifier game against Meath which I think Meyler missed due to a pre-planned holiday and then Meyler was a regular for the remainder of the Championship.

I don't think Harte is scared to pull a lad into a squad out of nowhere and give him a chance but I do think he is overly loyal to a number of underperforming players.

I just don't see what Ben McDonnell brings to the team, for me he's a vastly inferior option to Kilpatrick and McClure who remained on the bench on Sunday. There are other guys like C McCann, R O'Neill etc who have been given so many chances at this stage and just don't look up to it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

BennyHarp

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 20, 2020, 10:45:54 AM

None of them are getting into a Tyrone starting team, some could make panel. Paudie McNulty is the best of the lot but if he goes back or not is entirely up to him.

Paddy Quinn was there long enough, never made it. He was also on the bench for his own club at stages this year.

Mark McKearney is a good player, straight into the County Senior Team though....not happening under Harte - you know yourself that Tyrone don't just throw players in like that.

I would just expect him to be a target, I could see Patton or Beggan launching 7 or 8 kicks on top of him and they would be on top of him. Could he be Tyrone's Ryan McHugh or Eoin Murchan? Maybe....but I wouldn't be holding my breath seeing him in Senior County Colours.

Yeah Sorry, I wasn't suggesting those lads would get into the Tyrone team, I was responding to your point about the Clarkes being "very small in statue" and winning this year was due to heart and desire alone. My point is I suppose that The Clarkes have plenty of talent and if you have lads who can carry the physical weight then there is room for lads like the Jones, McKearney and Donaghy (who actually is around 6ft himself) to do their thing. I agree though, McKearney won't go straight into the team any time soon which is a crying shame.

The worst thing about Sunday was the inevitability of it all. I was watching with my brother and we said to each other at the same time when McCurry and O'Neill stepped up to kick those frees in the second half that we were expecting them to miss. Those are bread and butter at county level, would have bought us back to two points and it's game on, instead they go down the pitch, it's 5 in it and game over.
That was never a square ball!!

GetOverTheBar

Hard to argue with you BennyHarp, I love Bradley as a player who is as small as they come. But like you say, he needs to be complimented - that All Ireland Final v Dublin Bradley stood as the outball in 14 and about 50 metres between him and the rest of the team....madness.

Donegal got away with that because they had Colm McFadden as good a man to win any ball into him and maybe 6 or 7 options from the kick and gather and they were nearly impenetrable the other way. They just ground you down and both sides of the pitch.

Yeah the free kicks have been a problem for awhile, but there was Lee Brennan. Man hardly misses. Gone. I don't know why we can't figure out a role for him in the County like how Trillick do at club, let him float about. It's not as if he's a one trick pony, he can play football. Obviously his weakness is tackling and work rate, but sure if you don't engage in the opposition half like Tyrone do half the time anyway....

I could go on.

Angelo

There's been a bit of discussion in recent days and weeks about the quality of footballer in Tyrone and about players currently outside the county panel not there. So what would a best XV of players currently not on the county panel look like, obviously guys like Colm Cavanagh who has ended his county career I wouldn't include and the likes of Kane and McNally are probably too old now to make an effective contribution at intercounty level

Mine would be:

1. Grimes (Killyclogher)
2. E Murray (Tattyreagh)
3. Teague (Dromore)
4. C Shields (Clogher)
5. C Byrne (Eglish)
6. J Munroe (Carrickmore)
7. McKearney (Dungannon)
8. Nugent (Galbally)
9. McNulty (Dungannon)
10. M Walsh (Dungannon)
11. P Donaghy (Dungannon)
12. R Sludden (Dromore)
13. L Brennan (Trillick)
14. R Coleman (Moy)
15. C McAliskey (Clonoe)

We do seem to have some really good inside forward options throughout the county - the likes of Quinn, Jordan and Conroy were u20 this, Sean Og McAleer last year and then others like Danny McNulty and possibly a few more not entering my head at present.

I've probably missed a few obvious choices but I think you arguabl say that the FF line there and the midfield were better options than what started against Donegal last weekend.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on October 19, 2020, 01:18:11 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2020, 10:21:22 PM
Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on October 18, 2020, 09:52:26 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2020, 07:03:22 PM
The thing about getting rid of Harte, is there an outstanding candidate available? I don't really see anything inside the county at present that I would look as a marked improvement on Harte. I think a lot of our underage teams in recent years have underachieved and no club manager has been able to do back to backs in Tyrone to make them a viable candidate.

Canavan has that x factor but he has a nice little gig going as it is and I really don't think he'd be interested. He hasn't really managed anyone of note since Fermanagh anyway?

Would we hire an outsider? Malachy O'Rourke did a great job with Monaghan and I think he'd do well with Tyrone but I don't see him bringing the swashbuckling football some seem to think we should be playing. I couldn't see McGuinness taking the job or the Tyrone Co Board affording him but I think he could work wonders with this bunch of players.
Anything to be said for Fergal Logan and his team from the U21 All Ireland winners of 2015 of Canavan and Dooher, even adding someone like Collie Holmes as well?
Majority of that panel have been brought through (potentially could even get Brennan, McNulty, Mullan back involved) and are being backboned by the last 2 U20 teams as well as still having the last few years of Mattie, McNammee and Harte, a new voice could make a big difference to what will still be an impressive panel in 2021.

Harte has done Tyrone enormous service. I think overall he deserves credit for how he has kept Tyrone at the top table in that last decade despite not winning an AI but I think we are now back reaching a talent level that should have us pushing for an AI and things seem to have gone a little stale.

When we have a full contingent available we have a team now capable of winning an All Ireland with McKenna back.

Logan is an option but has he managed anyone since stepping away from the u21s. Would Canavan leave his Sky gig to take up a role?

Midfield is a concern but as someone said earlier, I'd rather we went with actual midfielders than moving forwards and defenders out there. Kilpatrick and Kennedy are raw and unproven but as well let them at it and see how they get on. I'd worry about R Donnelly's pace in midfield but he's a very good footballer and won't get pushed about so I think we should go with him and one of Kennedy/Kilpatrick if they are available.

Our defensive shape is a big worry, we don't seem to have any player tasked with shoring up the middle of the defence, if teams run at us we part like the red sea. We need a designated 6, some players that's going to hold that central channel and organise the defence and make sure teams can't just run through us.

I think the panel needs a bit of upheavel at this point. Too many players there who have had enough time to prove themselves like Ronan O'Neill and Conall McCann, nothing against the lads but they haven't been good enough and it's time to give new players the chance.

Should any of the u20s start next week? Would Canavan be worth a 20 minute cameo?

Niall Morgan
Liam Rafferty Ronan McNamee Padraig Hampsey/Rory Brennan
Michael Cassidy Hampsey/Brennan Frank Burns
Richie Donnelly Conn Kilpatrick
Mattie Donnelly Mark Bradley Kieran McGeary
Darren McCurry Conor McKenna Peter Harte

Probably too ambitious to see Tyrone lining up like that but shows the potential of an excellent team is there. Bradley and McCurry have played their best football for Tyrone coming from the half forward line so having them two play off Peter Harte and Conor McKenna as the vocal points has plenty of potential. Certainly a lot better than pushing defenders and midfielders into make shift forwards.
Think Hampsey and Brennan are our only real options at 6, would probably prefer Brennan at 6 with Hamspey man marking.
Looking at the Tyrone bench yesterday and it looks very stale. Makes me think they should call up the Tyrone U20's (Lorcan Quinn, Antoin Fox, Murnaghan, Canavan, Tiernan Quinn, Ethan Jordan, Oguz) to the panel and have the likes of Conor Quinn involved in the match day panel over Aidan McCrory for example, bit of freshness if nothing else.

Good team, crucial we bring 1 or 2 DGN men in!
Have them in around the panel even, they are born winners this year and will only raise the training quality, McKerney and Donaghy deserve to be there and Paudi if he wants to go back!!

As for McKenna, he has to stay close to goal imo, you cud see out at 11 he wasn't getting involved and linkn up although with his brain this will come, just not this season as he needs games, he touched the ball 13 times the whole 70 mins and yet scored 1-2 and set up 1-1 I think, play him inside close to goals because he will win ball and turn and burn his man!

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Angelo on October 21, 2020, 03:47:31 PM
There's been a bit of discussion in recent days and weeks about the quality of footballer in Tyrone and about players currently outside the county panel not there. So what would a best XV of players currently not on the county panel look like, obviously guys like Colm Cavanagh who has ended his county career I wouldn't include and the likes of Kane and McNally are probably too old now to make an effective contribution at intercounty level

Mine would be:

1. Grimes (Killyclogher)
2. E Murray (Tattyreagh)
3. Teague (Dromore)
4. C Shields (Clogher)
5. C Byrne (Eglish)
6. J Munroe (Carrickmore)
7. McKearney (Dungannon)
8. Nugent (Galbally)
9. McNulty (Dungannon)
10. M Walsh (Dungannon)
11. P Donaghy (Dungannon)
12. R Sludden (Dromore)
13. L Brennan (Trillick)
14. R Coleman (Moy)
15. C McAliskey (Clonoe)

We do seem to have some really good inside forward options throughout the county - the likes of Quinn, Jordan and Conroy were u20 this, Sean Og McAleer last year and then others like Danny McNulty and possibly a few more not entering my head at present.

I've probably missed a few obvious choices but I think you arguabl say that the FF line there and the midfield were better options than what started against Donegal last weekend.

Good discussion this but the best player in Tyrone club football is Mackers!!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on October 21, 2020, 03:52:51 PM

Good discussion this but the best player in Tyrone club football is Mackers!!!

About 3 or 4 years ago you had an argument. His race is ran. Trillick game this year confirmed that. Coalisland will be undergoing a transition from here on, you'll see some of the older heads go I would say come Championship next year, he could be one of them.

This has been done to death, he was at Tyrone, Harte didn't fancy him and he took the hump and went to Australia. No doubt he's a great player but there have been many talents over the years similar, Eoin McCusker from Dromore probably should have 2 All Ireland Medals by right but he was never near the county panel for example.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on October 21, 2020, 03:51:36 PM
The thing about getting rid of Harte, is there an outstanding candidate available? I don't really see anything inside the county at present that I would look as a marked improvement on Harte. I think a lot of our underage teams in recent years have underachieved and no club manager has been able to do back to backs in Tyrone to make them a viable candidate.

Canavan has that x factor but he has a nice little gig going as it is and I really don't think he'd be interested. He hasn't really managed anyone of note since Fermanagh anyway?

Would we hire an outsider? Malachy O'Rourke did a great job with Monaghan and I think he'd do well with Tyrone but I don't see him bringing the swashbuckling football some seem to think we should be playing. I couldn't see McGuinness taking the job or the Tyrone Co Board affording him but I think he could work wonders with this bunch of players.
Anything to be said for Fergal Logan and his team from the U21 All Ireland winners of 2015 of Canavan and Dooher, even adding someone like Collie Holmes as well?
Majority of that panel have been brought through (potentially could even get Brennan, McNulty, Mullan back involved) and are being backboned by the last 2 U20 teams as well as still having the last few years of Mattie, McNammee and Harte, a new voice could make a big difference to what will still be an impressive panel in 2021.

Harte has done Tyrone enormous service. I think overall he deserves credit for how he has kept Tyrone at the top table in that last decade despite not winning an AI but I think we are now back reaching a talent level that should have us pushing for an AI and things seem to have gone a little stale.

When we have a full contingent available we have a team now capable of winning an All Ireland with McKenna back.

Logan is an option but has he managed anyone since stepping away from the u21s. Would Canavan leave his Sky gig to take up a role?

Midfield is a concern but as someone said earlier, I'd rather we went with actual midfielders than moving forwards and defenders out there. Kilpatrick and Kennedy are raw and unproven but as well let them at it and see how they get on. I'd worry about R Donnelly's pace in midfield but he's a very good footballer and won't get pushed about so I think we should go with him and one of Kennedy/Kilpatrick if they are available.

Our defensive shape is a big worry, we don't seem to have any player tasked with shoring up the middle of the defence, if teams run at us we part like the red sea. We need a designated 6, some players that's going to hold that central channel and organise the defence and make sure teams can't just run through us.

I think the panel needs a bit of upheavel at this point. Too many players there who have had enough time to prove themselves like Ronan O'Neill and Conall McCann, nothing against the lads but they haven't been good enough and it's time to give new players the chance.

Should any of the u20s start next week? Would Canavan be worth a 20 minute cameo?

Niall Morgan

Probably too ambitious to see Tyrone lining up like that but shows the potential of an excellent team is there. Bradley and McCurry have played their best football for Tyrone coming from the half forward line so having them two play off Peter Harte and Conor McKenna as the vocal points has plenty of potential. Certainly a lot better than pushing defenders and midfielders into make shift forwards.
Think Hampsey and Brennan are our only real options at 6, would probably prefer Brennan at 6 with Hamspey man marking.
Looking at the Tyrone bench yesterday and it looks very stale. Makes me think they should call up the Tyrone U20's (Lorcan Quinn, Antoin Fox, Murnaghan, Canavan, Tiernan Quinn, Ethan Jordan, Oguz) to the panel and have the likes of Conor Quinn involved in the match day panel over Aidan McCrory for example, bit of freshness if nothing else.

Have them in around the panel even, they are born winners this year and will only raise the training quality, McKerney and Donaghy deserve to be there and Paudi if he wants to go back!!

As for McKenna, he has to stay close to goal imo, you cud see out at 11 he wasn't getting involved and linkn up although with his brain this will come, just not this season as he needs games, he touched the ball 13 times the whole 70 mins and yet scored 1-2 and set up 1-1 I think, play him inside close to goals because he will win ball and turn and burn his man!

People's perception of Paudi McNulty seems to get better with every week he spends off the county panel. Let's not forget he spent 4 seasons on the panel (2015-2019) and never established himself as a championship starter. He actually didn't seem to develop as a player in this time either (we can debate whether this is managements fault as it seems a recurring theme throughout the panel) - against the better teams I always got the impression they were happy for him to put the head down, run into trouble and then strip him of the ball. He had a good championship campaign for the Clarke's this year but personally I didn't think he was dominating the midfield to the extent I was thinking it's outrageous this man isn't on the county panel

Angelo

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on October 21, 2020, 05:03:44 PM
Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on October 21, 2020, 03:51:36 PM

Niall Morgan

People's perception of Paudi McNulty seems to get better with every week he spends off the county panel. Let's not forget he spent 4 seasons on the panel (2015-2019) and never established himself as a championship starter. He actually didn't seem to develop as a player in this time either (we can debate whether this is managements fault as it seems a recurring theme throughout the panel) - against the better teams I always got the impression they were happy for him to put the head down, run into trouble and then strip him of the ball. He had a good championship campaign for the Clarke's this year but personally I didn't think he was dominating the midfield to the extent I was thinking it's outrageous this man isn't on the county panel

Is there a better midfielder in the panel than McNulty at present.

I think he was fairly hard done by when he was there prior to this.

With Cavanagh gone now, we are also lacking someone in the middle of the pitch with his physical ability.

None of the midfielders in the panel have established themselves as Championship regulars. I think the reason a lot of people are clambering for him to get into the side is that he is a damn sight better than the likes of McDonnell, C McCann and playing a number of forwards and midfielders in there.

Kennedy and Kilpatrick are young and deserve some time, McClure has been on the panel for a while but has had a few injuries and has done ok at times, R Donnelly has had a few good games but injuries have been an issue and I really worry about his mobility when we play a top team.

McDonnell and C McCann just don't look like they have it for me. Hampsey, McKenna and Donnelly are not midfielders and it takes away from their strengths.

I'd definitely have McNulty back in there if he's willing.