American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I dunno Gallsman you can look at it both ways, i have heard quite a few kickers say it doesn't bother them in the slightest and they usually know when the time out is coming and treat the first one as a "practice" shot.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

Arizona Cardinals are not the same without Kurt Warner. Great win for the Falcons but I doubt we would have got the same result against previous versions of the Card, AZ must be a bit dissappointed.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

I'm disappointed, but not distraught. To be honest beatings like that are common for the Cards, even under Warner, when they go east. They are a shocking road team east of the Mississippi.

Now they are worse because they don't have Warner. It should be noted they have also lost Carlos Dansby, but I believe the problem is, and has been, a defense that gives up too many points, and too many big passing plays. Always been that way.

Carmen Stateside

Watched the end to the game myself and the young lads first effort sailed over with ease.  This Freezing, as they like to call it, all coaches do it now so it seems to be accepted as part of the game.  I myself would like to see something done to remove it.  Some days it will go for you and others against you.
What about those Jets yesterday?  After a first quarter with only one drive for five yards, Sanchez was let lose and allowed to throw. Great performance from him and also from Cromartie who cleaned out Moss after Revis left the game with injury. 
Giants didnt fair so well in the 'Manning Bowl' .  Payton was lethal with alot of short passing and a good run game with him, plus Mathis and Freeney were on top of their game, both men getting at Eli far to easily.

Declan

magpie seanie

Brilliant stuff from the Chicago Bears on the road to the Cowboys. After the first couple of series it looked like Cutler was going to end up in hospital but somehow they got him enough protection and boy he did not disappoint. Still can't run the ball too well though despite having two bloody good rb's. Defense looks to be much improved as could have been expected. Urlacher really is a great player and was sorely missed most of last season and Peppers has helped get a bit of a rush going. The Cowboys miscued a lot and bigger challenges lie ahead but hopefully a winning season for da Bears and possibly playoffs (already 2 games ahead of the Vikes). Huge game next week against Green Bay.

Was impressed with Mark Sanchez against NE. Really stepped up and showed the class he has. Jets badly needed that win and I was mildly surprised they got it.

wicked

Cowboys and Vikings are 0-2, so much for two teams everyone was picking to play in the Super Bowl, or at the least meet in the NFC title game.

anportmorforjfc

Can't wait for tonight's game! Theres some hope but really Saints should win it easy enough  :(

AZOffaly

Quote from: wicked on September 20, 2010, 03:41:24 PM
Cowboys and Vikings are 0-2, so much for two teams everyone was picking to play in the Super Bowl, or at the least meet in the NFC title game.

My pick is the Packers v the Ravens. Has been since the end of last year.

Flacco is going to have to improve vastly for the Ravens to come through the AFC though...

Puckoon

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on September 19, 2010, 08:49:21 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on September 18, 2010, 06:55:17 AM
What a great win for little old UNR Wolfe Tones against Cal bears ranked #24!!!

We beat the shit out of them for 4 quarters, scoring 51 points against one of the best defences in the natio

Cracking night.

AP top 25 did not list Cal   http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/polls/ap/

Watched the game and Cal has no D-Fence.

Very entertaining game though. UNR could be a Boise State in a few years.

According to the news reports - Cal were #24.

That Cal defence was much touted going into the game - but perhaps what many people in colleges football are not aware is that Nevada have been racking up huge rushing yards in the last two seasons - with quarterback Colin Kapernick a genuine Heisman contender. He has already beaten Tebow's rushing touchdown record - and last year we led the nation in rushing.

What we have missed is a defence - and it is finally there. In our last three games against boise state - we have scored 135 points - and lost by a combined total over the three games of 20 points.

EDIT: Cal were ranked #24 in the nation - and their defence was ranked #1 going into the game on Friday night. Not now they arent.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/18/SP7B1FFS04.DTL

http://www.rgj.com/article/20100918/SPORTS06/100918001/1018/sports

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/13158/cal-unmasked

AZOffaly

Quote from: Puckoon on September 20, 2010, 04:41:36 PM
Quote from: DrinkingHarp on September 19, 2010, 08:49:21 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on September 18, 2010, 06:55:17 AM
What a great win for little old UNR Wolfe Tones against Cal bears ranked #24!!!

We beat the shit out of them for 4 quarters, scoring 51 points against one of the best defences in the natio

Cracking night.

AP top 25 did not list Cal   http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/polls/ap/

Watched the game and Cal has no D-Fence.

Very entertaining game though. UNR could be a Boise State in a few years.

According to the news reports - Cal were #24.

That Cal defence was much touted going into the game - but perhaps what many people in colleges football are not aware is that Nevada have been racking up huge rushing yards in the last two seasons - with quarterback Colin Kapernick a genuine Heisman contender. He has already beaten Tebow's rushing touchdown record - and last year we led the nation in rushing.

What we have missed is a defence - and it is finally there. In our last three games against boise state - we have scored 135 points - and lost by a combined total over the three games of 20 points.

EDIT: Cal were ranked #24 in the nation - and their defence was ranked #1 going into the game on Friday night. Not now they arent.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/18/SP7B1FFS04.DTL

http://www.rgj.com/article/20100918/SPORTS06/100918001/1018/sports

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/13158/cal-unmasked

No he isn't. Puck, don't be going mad. UNR is a WAC team, and their schedule is

Eastern Washington
Colorado State
Cal
BYU
UNLV
San Jose State
Hawai'i
Utah State
Idaho
Fresno State
New Mexico State
Boise State
and
Louisiana Tech.

That is not a Heisman schedule. Good win for UNR though. It was picked as an upset on ESPN though..

Puckoon

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/467287-nevadas-colin-kaepernick-a-worthy-heisman-trophy-candidate

You can only play what is in front of you - the WAC is kinda like the Munster Football championship - and for too long we have been the langers. Well - unlike the boys in Munster we are prepared to put our money where the mouth is and Nevada are moving to the Mountain West along with Boise and Fresno state next year.

That schedule isnt all roses, with Cal, BYU, Utah, Fresno and obviously Boise. Boise state's schedule isnt much harder - with the obvious exception of Virginia and Oregon sate. I think the mormons could be a very tough game - but thanksgiving weekend in Reno and Boise State coming to town - that will be a tailgate and a half! Kapernick Vs Kellen Moore? They'd kill to have Kapernick up there on the blue turf.

Some of Kapaernik's stats are amazing. Rushing for 1000 yards, passing for 2000 yards - in two different seasons? 13th best quarterback and 13th best rusher in the nation currently.

H'up the Wolfe Tones.

AZOffaly

Lies, Damn lies and statistics. He ain't putting up them numbers against Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Oregon, Miami, Florida etc etc etc.

Puckoon

I know you've had a tough weekend, what with the Cards and the Scousers, and probably losing a few shillings on the Down team that stayed in the City West - but don't be fooled - the kid is the real deal - and I am glad he is playing in the WAC, for us.

It takes time for a smaller team from a no-name conference to get into the big leagues to play against such traditional power houses - but we are moving in the right direction - finally. This year could be the best chance we have to beat the Broncos. It's all about keeping the momentum going.

Quote from the WAC commissioner - "If Nevada is 4-0 and Colin puts up big numbers at the start of the year," Karl Benson, the conference commissioner, said, "he will become one of the top five Heisman Trophy candidates."

Now - you and I both know he has no shot at getting that title - but even to be mentioned in the same breath - is a big step for Nevada Football.

mc_grens

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 20, 2010, 03:53:57 PM
Quote from: wicked on September 20, 2010, 03:41:24 PM

My pick is the Packers v the Ravens. Has been since the end of last year.

Flacco is going to have to improve vastly for the Ravens to come through the AFC though...

I think that Ravens secondary is just too beat up. Eventually a Pats, Chargers, or a Colts will throw all over them. I also think that whilst they have 3 quality receivers none of them is a deep threat, s o the ofense is very short and lacks a big play threat.