American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Allen went from one of the greatest shooting displays in finals history (8 three pointers) to one of the worst (going 0 from 13).

Tyrones own

Quote from: The Iceman on June 09, 2010, 07:19:52 PM
It was a rough game but if Allen decides to show up on Thursday night Boston can level it again and go on to win this in LA.
Garrett had a fantastic game but Kobe was on form as usual (3Q's at least) and Fischer (sp) really stepped up for the Lakers in Q4 and made it happen.
Boston was there or there abouts most of the game but when Allen missed the 3 with a minute and half to go when the game was 85 - 80 (approx) it was all over.
Very strange game in that as poor as Boston were..they could have easily won it,
Don't think that bodes well for the Lakers.
Kobe is some yoke though!! :o
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon

Fisher was the star last night- he really really stood up and you could see what it meant to him at the end when he was being interviewed. He was struggling!

Boston were playing to the crowd for the first few minutes but the lakers took that time out and by the time I got from one pub to the next they were 13-14 points up.

Boston in fairness clawed that lead back, but the lakers just did what needed to be done to close out the game.

The lakers will be fine come game 5... :)

Club Rossa

Blackhawks have won their first Stanley cup since 1961.Some turnaround for a club that just a few years ago was playing in front of crowds of 7,000 at the United Center.

RMDrive

Quote from: stew on June 07, 2010, 04:46:15 PM
If Boston wins game five it is over, Boston are the better team I think, Pirece and garnett had stinkers by their standards and Rondo and Ray Allen were sublime, Boston are smart and they have one of the  best players the NBA has ever seen in  ability to find an open spot on the  floor in Allen, Miller was brilliant but Allen is even better than the knick killer in that regard.

Ah now I know you are joking here. Allen in the same breath as Miller? Not a chance.

stew

Quote from: RMDrive on June 10, 2010, 11:36:24 AM
Quote from: stew on June 07, 2010, 04:46:15 PM
If Boston wins game five it is over, Boston are the better team I think, Pirece and garnett had stinkers by their standards and Rondo and Ray Allen were sublime, Boston are smart and they have one of the  best players the NBA has ever seen in  ability to find an open spot on the  floor in Allen, Miller was brilliant but Allen is even better than the knick killer in that regard.

Ah now I know you are joking here. Allen in the same breath as Miller? Not a chance.

Allen is a sure fire hall of famer, Miller is in the Hall so yes they should be mentioned in the same breath, last time I checked Allen had the most three's ever in NBA finals history and the line has been moved back since Reggies heyday.

Miller was absolutely deadly, dont get me wrong but Ray Allen is a tremendous 3 point shooter as was Miller, both are great but I would say Allen was better at finding the open spot on the floor than was Miller.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

Quote from: Club Rossa on June 10, 2010, 08:54:05 AM
Blackhawks have won their first Stanley cup since 1961.Some turnaround for a club that just a few years ago was playing in front of crowds of 7,000 at the United Center.

Saw them play in Chicago years ago. Place was half empty even though it was a 'local' derby with Detroit(I think ?)
MWWSI 2017

mc_grens

Lads anybody know where I can play hoops in Dublin?

I havent played in 5 or 6 years, and I'm not after a club, just a pick up game once a week or so...

wicked

Figure this is the place to post this ... headed over sometime this summer or fall, possibly. Any pubs in Belfast specifically that will cater to the American sport fan? Not planning on being holed up in there too much, just will probably want a baseball or college football fix at some point on the journey.

Gabriel_Hurl

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: muppet on June 10, 2010, 06:27:22 PM
Quote from: Club Rossa on June 10, 2010, 08:54:05 AM

Saw them play in Chicago years ago. Place was half empty even though it was a 'local' derby with Detroit(I think ?)

I have been going to the games since I was 8 months old and the place has always been half full ;)

About 7 years ago you could here a guy talking in the stands behind one net if you were behind the other,  my how times change when a team is winning.

But what a great series, playoffs and season. The hardest championship to win in all pro sports.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Puckoon

Big Big game tonight for the Lakers. They badly need someone other than Kobe to step up their game and be influential. It needs to happen early and Kobe needs to see it - otherwise he will shoot 34 again, win the MVP and lose the series.

new devil

Rondo in with a big shout if the Celtics win it..nice to see it go to a game 7

RMDrive

Quote from: mc_grens on June 14, 2010, 02:02:39 AM

I havent played in 5 or 6 years, and I'm not after a club, just a pick up game once a week or so...

Check out the bball section on boards. Loads of pickup games being organised in Dublin.

mc_grens

Quote from: RMDrive on June 15, 2010, 10:41:45 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on June 14, 2010, 02:02:39 AM

Check out the bball section on boards. Loads of pickup games being organised in Dublin.

Had a look there- nice one!

Do you go? If so which would you recommend from Mon-Thursday considering it'll take me a wee while to get re-acclimated?