American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

i might be wrong but i think in baseball the yankees were originally the baltimore orioles

Minder

Interesting article about the shooting Marvin Harrison was involved in last year.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201002/marvin-harrison?currentPage=1
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

turk

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 01, 2010, 09:44:31 PM
Yeah, there's like a love Triangle between Baltimore, Indianapolis and Cleveland. As you know the teams are franchises, rather than clubs, per se. So when a team moves the City is really just a designation of location, it's the nickname that stays constant, most times. Hence the Chicago Cardinals became the St. Louis Cardinals, became the Arizona (via Phoenix) Cardinals. The Rams were Los Angeles before Saint Louis. The Raiders were Oakland, then LA, then Oakland again.

Usually they move as the owners prostitute their teams for a new stadium or the like.

The Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis at 2am one morning, in 1983, in the dead of night using a fleet of trucks. It was mental, they all drove different routes to confuse the cops. There was a big furore over that.

Baltimore was without a team until they did unto Cleveland what Indy had done unto them, and in 1995 Art Model upped and left Cleveland, in a very similar fashion, but he had to leave the name, colours and 'history' with a city that had no team to fill it. Thus the Browns became the Ravens.

In 1999 the Browns were reborn, but the 1996-99 period is just treated as 'could not field a team' rather than seeing the team as being reformed. For example all Browns records are deemed to go back to the time when the original Browns were there. As far as I know, they are the only franchise that does that. The Cardinals hall of fame includes people who played in Chicago and St. Louis. The Rams, Colts et al is the same. However the Ravens' history begins in 1996. It's interesting stuff.

that's generally right. Also, the rams were originally in Cleveland up to the 40s.

The Colts had a strong tradition in Baltimore. While Robert Irsay who moved the Colts to Indianapolis was generally regarded as a buffoon, Art Modell had a long history with the Browns since when he took it over from Paul Brown (who went onto found the Bengals) and this made the move even harder to take. Great sports illustrated cover from the 90s of Art Modell busting the dog in the guts

DrinkingHarp

Saints Win Super Bowl, says Madden NFL
by Joe Dodson

Buzz up!

And the winner is...
Madden NFL popped into headlines today, predicting a sunny Super Bowl win for the New Orleans Saints, and eight months of winter for the Indianapolis Colts.

Every year, Electronic Arts runs a Super Bowl simulation within their video game, Madden NFL. And five out of the last six years, the game's results have predicted the Super Bowl winner correctly. The simulation's only miss was the Giants' Super Bowl XLII victory over the Patriots, and even Nostradamus couldn't have seen that one coming.

This year, Madden NFL predicts a close Saints victory, with a final score of 35 - 31 over the Colts. According to the game, Drew Brees will be named the MVP after passing for 299 yards and three touchdowns. Reggie Bush will account for two more touchdowns, one rushing, and one on a punt return.

On the other side of the football, Colts' QB Peyton Manning will throw for 322 yards and three touchdowns in a great-but-not-good-enough performance.

But before Saints fans start celebrating and Colts fans call for a new coach, it's important to note that the Madden simulation only takes into account the perceived skill levels of each player on the field. Intangibles such as nerves and inexperience are not reflected. And according to this G4 video of the simulation, neither is Dwight Freeney's questionable ankle, as the Colts' defensive superstar can clearly be seen running and jumping down the tunnel at the head of his team before the game.

But whether he plays in the real Super Bowl or not, Madden NFL sees the Colts limping home on Sunday, and all of New Orleans jumping for joy.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Declan

Minder

ballinaman

Quote from: Declan on February 05, 2010, 09:32:20 AM
Any predictions folks?
I actually can't call it. I've been changing my prediction every day nearly for the last week. Could be a real shoot out, even going down to the last play. One of my friends is a real obnoxious Colts supporter so i wouldn't mind the Saints winning i suppose :D

Shrek

Havent been paying musch attention to the Football as much as i used to but gonna but am in USA atm, so will be watching the Superbowl while im here.

From what ive see i really fancy the Saints for this one.

Saints by 3

turk

I'm going for the saints to win it with a late field goal!

Capt Pat

The key for this game for me is Dwight Freeney, the Colts defensive leader. Whether he plays or not or whether he is effective or not? If he was fit it would be the Colts all the way for me, but if he is not playing or not effective then Brees will have a lot more time in the pocket and I think he can out gun Manning in a quarterback battle. So in that scenario I would give the edge to the saints. However I don't know how fit he is or isn't so......

Colts 35
Saints 24

The Freeneyless scenario is

Saints 38
Colts 27.

stew

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 05, 2010, 06:21:37 PM
The key for this game for me is Dwight Freeney, the Colts defensive leader. Whether he plays or not or whether he is effective or not? If he was fit it would be the Colts all the way for me, but if he is not playing or not effective then Brees will have a lot more time in the pocket and I think he can out gun Manning in a quarterback battle. So in that scenario I would give the edge to the saints. However I don't know how fit he is or isn't so......

Colts 35
Saints 24

The Freeneyless scenario is

Saints 38
Colts 27.

The Saints will win this wether Freeny plays or now, if he plays I cannot see how he can be effective given the damage to that lower leg/ankle of his, he hasnt practiced since the AFC Championship game and if he does play it will be very sparingly.

The saints have more talent but the colts have the X factor, one Peyton Manning.

Saints to win by three.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

Where do you see the Saints having more talent than the Colts Stew?

heganboy

stew - another one for me and you to disagree. I do think Freeney playing even if injured will be a big difference. I still have the Colts by a few but wouldn't put more than $50 on it. Could go either way, should be a great game to watch, and thats the first time Ive said that about a superbowl in 10 years...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Minder

Quote from: heganboy on February 05, 2010, 07:39:57 PM
stew - another one for me and you to disagree. I do think Freeney playing even if injured will be a big difference. I still have the Colts by a few but wouldn't put more than $50 on it. Could go either way, should be a great game to watch, and thats the first time Ive said that about a superbowl in 10 years...

Freeney playing will have an impact as he will probably be double teamed and Mathis is well capable of causing damage on the other side.

stew

Quote from: Minder on February 05, 2010, 07:47:15 PM
Quote from: heganboy on February 05, 2010, 07:39:57 PM

Freeney playing will have an impact as he will probably be double teamed and Mathis is well capable of causing damage on the other side.

hey might not have to double team him as the first thing the saints are going to do to him if he does play is hit him a few times below the knees.
I cannot see how he can possibly be a big factor given the severity of the injury unless they dope him up and send him out there and I hope they dont do that. This injury might mean they dont have to double team him, advantage Saints if that happens.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.