American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

So it is official...Alabama is the No. 1 seed in the College Football Playoff and will meet No. 4 Washington in a semifinal game at the Peach Bowl on Dec. 31.

The other semifinal is No. 2 Clemson against No. 3 Ohio State at the Fiesta Bowl, also Dec. 31.

Oraisteach

AZ, I think OSU is clearly one of the best four largely because of strength of schedule and the subjective eye test.  Mind you, last year, applying the eye test, I also thought OSU was one of the best four, but they didn't make the cut.  Later, they sent a bus load to the NFL.  Not a satisfactory system, but better than choosing just two teams and really can't imagine them expanding it to eight--greater likelihood of injuries, diluting the importance of bowl games and there'd still be arguments.

AZOffaly

Quote from: heganboy on December 04, 2016, 06:38:47 PM
Which 4 will more people watch?

Bingo Bosco. Although to be fair Penn state would probably be at least as big a 'brand' as Washington.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 04, 2016, 07:47:41 PM
Quote from: heganboy on December 04, 2016, 06:38:47 PM
Which 4 will more people watch?

Bingo Bosco. Although to be fair Penn state would probably be at least as big a 'brand' as Washington.

Penn State would be far more well known than Washington. Incredible that the committee came out and tried to say the debate was Washington or Penn when the real discussion was Penn or OSU. New system is now as tainted as the old IMHO.

Auburn got the SEC berth in the Sugar Bowl because the East stunk it up so badly. Gives Malzahn a chance to get real momentum for next year if they can beat the Sooners. Have to think John Franklin III is in contention to start after the QB play in the Georgia and Alabama games. Bowl games are generally shite consolation prizes, even the prestigious ones like the Sugar and Rose Bowls but the prize money is why they exist..

AZOffaly

Franklin is the guy from last chance U? He looks like a high character guy!

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 04, 2016, 09:01:37 PM
Franklin is the guy from last chance U? He looks like a high character guy!

Looks like a guy whose ego has floated off far above his ability thanks to being told how great he was all through high school.

But he reminds me of a less rounded Nick Marshall, which was the QB that really made Malzahn's triple, quadruple, whatever, option offense really click. Talk of them tapping up QBs for next year already but with Franklin about to graduate he can leave and complete his final year of eligibility wherever will have him so it seems like the smart play to kick the tires properly with him in the bowl game before giving up on him.

AZOffaly

Yep. And he may well flourish. I wouldn't like him to be a leader in a tough situation though.

Capt Pat

The Vikings win, so do the Lions and the Packers are looking likely victors against the Seahawks.

magpie seanie

Packers are now humming but have they done themselves too much damage already? A good few mediocre teams with a lot of wins on the board in the NFC.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 12, 2016, 02:19:17 PM
Packers are now humming but have they done themselves too much damage already? A good few mediocre teams with a lot of wins on the board in the NFC.

They are done I fear.

If they did make the playoffs they could do damage.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

Quote from: stew on December 12, 2016, 05:19:00 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 12, 2016, 02:19:17 PM

They are done I fear.

If they did make the playoffs they could do damage.

They probably are done but not that much of a stretch that Lions lose to Giants or Cowboys, leaving a winner takes all week 17 match up between Lions and Packers (provided Packers win their next two)

With the way Rodgers is playing they would fancy their chances against anyone in the playoffs as I don't see an outstanding team in either conference.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Cardinals v Rams at Twickenham next year!!!!!!

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 13, 2016, 01:27:00 PM
Cardinals v Rams at Twickenham next year!!!!!!

9/24/17 or 10/1/17
Baltimore Ravens v Jacksonville Jaguars, Wembley Stadium

9/24/17 or 10/1/17
New Orleans Saints v Miami Dolphins, Wembley Stadium

10/22/17 or 10/29/17
Minnesota Vikings v Cleveland Browns, Twickenham Stadium

10/22/17 or 10/29/17
Arizona Cardinals v Los Angeles Rams, Twickenham Stadium

Not sure what the story is re optional dates, but will probably head to the Cardinals v Rams, assuming tickets arent too hard to come by. Although would have much much preferred Wembley

AZOffaly

I was at Wembley a few times, and to be honest there's f**k all out there and it's hard to get to. Twickenham is handier, can't wait. GOCARDS

cadhlancian

No harm lads, but those are 4 rubbish games potentially...