American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Former Jets player Joe McKnight killed in New Orleans in apparent road rage incident.

Witness says that the killer stood over him, told him he'd told him not to f**k with him, and shot him.

After waiting for the cops and handing over the gun, the killer was released without charge after questioning.

There's a news conference due later. I guess we should wait to hear what the police say before commenting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/sports/football/suspect-in-killing-of-joe-mcknight-former-jets-player-is-freed-without-charge.html?_r=0

Muck Savage

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 02, 2016, 10:53:17 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 30, 2016, 11:19:31 PM
AZ, remember Penn State lost to Michigan 49-10...and also lost to Pittsburgh.  Can't see them leaping over Michigan, no matter how big a win over Wisconsin.

Clemson should beat Va Tech to hold third spot.  I'm not sure about Washington beating Colorado - the game is in Santa Clara, CA so weather should not be a factor.  If Colorado win, it means Washington drop to 5 and Michigan go up to 4 and are in the playoff.  That would put two Big Ten teams in the playoffs, neither of whom even played in their conference final. 

That would be crazy.  There has to be a few GAA lads on the committee is the only conclusion I can come to.

One of the sports chat shows today suggested the BCS standings be revealed only once, after the conference championship games.  But that would eliminate news and discussion on the interim weekly polls and that would not be welcome.

Alabama should win it all comfortably anyway.

If Penn State win the Big 10, and don't go, there will be war. In my mind the only way Michigan get in is if Wisconsin win, and Washington or Clemson lose. In that case it would be Alabama, Ohio State, Washington/Clemson or Michigan/Wisconsin

If Penn State win, I think they go because they have 1 loss, beat Ohio State, and won the Big 10. The committee has always said they value Championships immensely.

If Penn State Win, Washington Win and Clemson Win, I think it will be Alabama, Penn State, Clemson and either Ohio State or Washington.

If Washington win they have to be in. Colorado at at 8 now, that a hard game. I can't see Penn state jumping Washington if both win. The Pac 12 will get one team in if Washington win, you really can't have two Big 10 teams in if they are 12-1.
I think it will end up Alabama, Clemson, Washington and one of Ohio or Penn state.

Ball Hopper

AZ, remember Penn State lost to Michigan 49-10...and also lost to Pittsburgh.  Can't see them leaping over Michigan, no matter how big a win over Wisconsin.

Clemson should beat Va Tech to hold third spot.  I'm not sure about Washington beating Colorado - the game is in Santa Clara, CA so weather should not be a factor.  If Colorado win, it means Washington drop to 5 and Michigan go up to 4 and are in the playoff.  That would put two Big Ten teams in the playoffs, neither of whom even played in their conference final. 

That would be crazy.  There has to be a few GAA lads on the committee is the only conclusion I can come to.

One of the sports chat shows today suggested the BCS standings be revealed only once, after the conference championship games.  But that would eliminate news and discussion on the interim weekly polls and that would not be welcome.

If Penn State win the Big 10, and don't go, there will be war. In my mind the only way Michigan get in is if Wisconsin win, and Washington or Clemson lose. In that case it would be Alabama, Ohio State, Washington/Clemson or Michigan/Wisconsin

If Penn State win, I think they go because they have 1 loss, beat Ohio State, and won the Big 10. The committee has always said they value Championships immensely.

If Penn State Win, Washington Win and Clemson Win, I think it will be Alabama, Penn State, Clemson and either Ohio State or Washington.

Penn State have 2 losses, AZ.  Hammered by Michigan and lost to Pittsburgh as well.  Michigan did not drop from No 2 when they lost to Iowa on a late field goal.  That is keeping them in the conversation, and that alone. They should have dropped to 4 that week, and to 6 after losing to Ohio State.  But they didn't. 

Rarely to teams drop when they don't play...that is the Big Ten's problem, with Ohio State and Michigan not playing any more games. I see the top 4 staying the same...Alabama play Michigan, Ohio State get Clemson.  Alabama to have two easy wins, unless a raft of suspensions appear for academic or social reasons - every year at least one school loses 4 or 5 players.

Syferus

Quote from: Ball Hopper on December 02, 2016, 08:17:24 PM

Penn State have 2 losses, AZ.  Hammered by Michigan and lost to Pittsburgh as well.  Michigan did not drop from No 2 when they lost to Iowa on a late field goal.  That is keeping them in the conversation, and that alone. They should have dropped to 4 that week, and to 6 after losing to Ohio State.  But they didn't. 

Rarely to teams drop when they don't play...that is the Big Ten's problem, with Ohio State and Michigan not playing any more games. I see the top 4 staying the same...Alabama play Michigan, Ohio State get Clemson.  Alabama to have two easy wins, unless a raft of suspensions appear for academic or social reasons - every year at least one school loses 4 or 5 players.

..except Michigan are #5 not #4. If the rankings stay as is Washington play the Tide.

If everyone playing this weekend wins Penn State have to get in and if justice is done it will be at Ohio's expense. Ignoring a win v a team in the top four and a Power Five title would do an incredible amount of damage to the credibility of the new playoff system and its committee.

The sooner this expands to eight teams the better.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Syferus on December 02, 2016, 10:06:55 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on December 02, 2016, 08:17:24 PM

..except Michigan are #5 not #4. If the rankings stay as is Washington play the Tide.

If everyone playing this weekend wins Penn State have to get in and if justice is done it will be at Ohio's expense. Ignoring a win v a team in the top four and a Power Five title would do an incredible amount of damage to the credibility of the new playoff system and its committee.

The sooner this expands to eight teams the better.

Nail on head there with expand to eight teams.  The arguments between 8 and 9 would be less dramatic as neither would be legitimate contenders.  Or maybe 6, with a bye week for the top two?

Indeed Washington are 4 and Michigan 5...I think the best upset possibility is Colorado beating Washington or playing them close enough to let Michigan back up to 4.

Oraisteach

I disagree with your take on OSU, Syf. Yes, the Buckeyes lost to Penn St. but their overall resume is stronger. This defeat was a slip-up.  The selection committee is supposed to pick the best four teams in the country, and the Buckeyes are one of the best four. The committee is also of the opinion (as stated on ESPN) that the gap between OSU and PSU is big.  The only way for the Lions to bridge that gap would not only be for them to beat Wisconsin, but to do so comprehensively.

Ball Hopper

Washington 41-10 over Colorado...should lock in number 4 spot for Washington, and up to three if Clemson lose or under-perform.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ball Hopper on December 03, 2016, 05:43:39 AM
Washington 41-10 over Colorado...should lock in number 4 spot for Washington, and up to three if Clemson lose or under-perform.

Yep. If they were 4 before, it's going to be hard to keep a 1 loss power 5 champ out. I think that's Michigan gone now. I genuinely think Ohio State is at risk if Penn State win. They beat Ohio State and they would be Big10 champion. I think the committee is praying for Wisconsin.  Or Va tech.

DrinkingHarp

Early into the game but Florida leads Alabama 7-0 in the "Swamp" which will help them. Florida's D is their strength so there is hope. God do I hate Nick Saban!! Go Gators!! Go Big Ten!!
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Ball Hopper

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on December 03, 2016, 09:31:46 PM
Early into the game but Florida leads Alabama 7-0 in the "Swamp" which will help them. Florida's D is their strength so there is hope. God do I hate Nick Saban!! Go Gators!! Go Big Ten!!

Neutral site here - Atlanta.  Alabama now up 23-9 early in second quarter.

Edit: Alabama up 33-16 at halftime.

Edit 2: Final score Alabama 54 Florida 16

RealSpiritof98

how can i watch the Penn state game? not on BT as far as i can see.

Oraisteach

Wisconsin leading Penn State 28-14 at the half

Wisconsin leading Penn State 31-28 at the end of 3rd Q. PSU with momentum

Penn State wins 38-31

Not a result the Buckeyes wanted.  What does the committee do now? Think it will be Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Washington, but wouldn't be stunned if the Buckeyes got bumped.

Ball Hopper

Final scores...

Penn State 38 Wisconsin 31

Clemson 42 VA Tech 35

AZOffaly

Quote from: Oraisteach on December 04, 2016, 02:53:44 AM
Wisconsin leading Penn State 28-14 at the half

Wisconsin leading Penn State 31-28 at the end of 3rd Q. PSU with momentum

Penn State wins 38-31

Not a result the Buckeyes wanted.  What does the committee do now? Think it will be Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Washington, but wouldn't be stunned if the Buckeyes got bumped.

This is the first real test of the committees principles. They are forever saying they place a huge emphasis on conference titles and head to head as well as schedule strength. Washington would be shocked to be bumped now. Clemson seem to be a darling team but they might be at risk. However it may well be between the Big 10 teams for the last spot.

Put it like this. If I told you Ohio State had just won the Big 10, beating 6th ranked Wisconsin, and had the head to head over Penn State, but Penn State were ranked 2 before this weekend happened, then I'd bet everything that Ohio State would get in.

It's going to be very interesting and has implications for the playoffs down the line if they back away from their line that a non champ has to be unequivocally better than a champ to bump them, given that PSU beat OSU on the field.

Ball Hopper

Not so AZ.  The emphasis is on having the best teams in the last 4, not necessarily conference champions. That is a stated strategy, if that is the right word.

The committee have erred along the road to this point...especially by not dropping Michigan earlier (after the loss to Iowa). 

Where is the Big 10 now...Penn State won the title, but lost heavily to Michigan and also to Pitt.  Michigan lost to Ohio State. Ohio State lost to Penn State.  The loss by Penn State to Pitt should eliminate them from national title contenders. Wisconsin lost to both Ohio State and Michigan, plus Penn State, so they are out. 

I say the final four are Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Washington.  But I've been wrong on most things...