American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

The Patriots had 3rd and 4 th stringers playing on the O/L yesterday. John mMadden said it best.
" it ain't always the best team that wins in the playoffs , it's the healthiest"...
For the Pats to be still in that game at the death is a testament to Brady and Belichick. Gostowski hadn't missed a PAT in over 520 attempts ( granted that was mostly the old rules).
No f**king about from them either.... OL coach just fired!

gallsman

Warriors putting on a show.

Club Rossa

Fantastic to watch.Made a red hot Spurs team look very ordinary.

Oraisteach

Last week, the Cavs got blown out by the Warriors, but today they ran the Spurs off the court 117-107, playing an up tempo style rather than the more defensive posture they adopted under Coach Blatt.  In fact, they scored 37 in the first quarter.  As a Cleveland sports fan desperate to clutch any any straw, is this just a one off squib, or should they now be considered viable title contenders?  The Warriors are the crime de la crime, but if the Cavs stay healthy, just maybe . . .

DrinkingHarp

Megatron, Calvin Johnson, informs the Detroit Lions that he will retire.

Great WR and person, this coming from a Bears fan.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Oraisteach

Apparently, the Browns will waive Johnny Manziel on March 9 when the league year begins.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2016, 09:26:29 PM
I would say that, generally speaking, Superbowl calibre teams tend to be well put together on both sides of the ball, so it's not surprising that they'd have good offenses and defenses. Like everyone is saying this is Denver D v Carolina and Cam, but The Panthers D is good too with Keuchly, Davis and norman, not to mention the Line play.

Perhaps it is more accurate to say 'You don't win championships without Defense'. You obviously need to score points too, but if you can't stop anybody, and your opponent has a decent defense, then sooner or later you are going to run out of road. Of course if you have a great defense, and can't score, your road would be shorter still. That said, I can remember a couple of teams who had stellar Defenses, the 85 Bears and the Ravens in 2001 who really carried their offense to titles. I can't really remember an offense doing that on it's own. Maybe the Rams, but even their defense was able to make stops when it had to.

So you need both to win, but you're more likely to have a shot with a lockdown defense and poor offense, than super offense and crap defense.

The 85 Bears offence wasn't that bad. McMahon was a good QB and of course Walter was one of the best ever. The Bears defence that got Rex Grossman and co to the Superbowl and close to winning it wasn't as good as the 85 Bears but my God, for how long they were on the field they deserve to go down in history as one of the best.

Oraisteach

Today is National Signing Day, the day on which high school seniors commit to colleges officially.  At noon, according to 247Sports, the schools with the best incoming classes are as follows:
1. LSU
2. Mississippi
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State
5. Alabama
6. Michigan
With a number of top flight prospects yet to sign, I expect Bama to leapfrog over OSU, so once again, the SEC has the top recruiting classes. 

And, sure enough, at 4:30 the ranking has changed.
1. FSU
2. Alabama
3. LSU
4. Ole Miss
5. OSU
6. Michigan

Gabriel_Hurl

Minder

Have a feeling Peyton is gonna stink the place out
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

RealSpiritof98

I hope he doesn't, hoping for it to be close to keep me awake after the singing

Asal Mor

Quote from: Minder on February 07, 2016, 11:24:16 PM
Have a feeling Peyton is gonna stink the place out
I do fear a blowout. Hope Denver can get a good start though, and seeing our boys in Afghanistan there and hearing "From Sea to shining sea", I feel like anything is possible.

Zulu

Good start by Manning - Gooooooo BRONCOS!!

Asal Mor

Quote from: Zulu on February 07, 2016, 11:40:39 PM
Not bad. That's what the game needed. Still lacking some zip on those passes though.

dec

Quote from: Zulu on February 07, 2016, 11:40:39 PM

Defence helping out as well