American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

That's a great stat. Expansion is any team added since 1961 I believe.

AZOffaly

By the way, also in that Mets-Cubs series, Daniel Murphy has set a new baseball record with home runs in 6 consecutive post season games. Fair play to him, that's some doing. In another context he has as many home runs (7) in 9 post season games as Willie Mays and Hank Aaron combined in 42 games.

Canalman

Quote from: deiseach on October 22, 2015, 09:28:01 AM
Useless piece of trivia of the day: this will be the first World Series featuring two expansion teams.

True. Mets fans wouldn' t consider themselves an "expansion team". They are, but think they have a reasonable case in saying they are a replacement team for both the Dodgers and the other NY team to go.

AZOffaly

The Giants. Yeah, but they are an expansion team alright :) Yer man Chris Berman still says 'The New York Football Giants'. (As opposed to the original NY Baseball Giants)

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 22, 2015, 10:24:08 AM
By the way, also in that Mets-Cubs series, Daniel Murphy has set a new baseball record with home runs in 6 consecutive post season games. Fair play to him, that's some doing. In another context he has as many home runs (7) in 9 post season games as Willie Mays and Hank Aaron combined in 42 games.

As a coach I thought at some point not throwing to him might be an idea? ::)

The cubs are very young and have the best farm system in baseball, they are going to win the world series in the next three years in my opinion, they are going to be that good.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Hard to tell in Baseball stew. It's the one game where massive trades can reallty influence a season, and it's quite hard to make the playoffs. The Cubs will have the Cardinals to deal with every year, and then the other big NL teams like the Giants, Dodgers, Phillies etc.

It's very much a 'window of opportunity' league. If you get the chance, take it. You might not get it again.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 22, 2015, 03:58:44 PM
The Giants. Yeah, but they are an expansion team alright :) Yer man Chris Berman still says 'The New York Football Giants'. (As opposed to the original NY Baseball Giants)

Reading that, he sounds like he is completely up his own arse/ass. Unfair?

Clov

I think that is a bit unfair. He's a bit of a buffoon alright but the "New York Football Giants" trope is as hackneyed as they come. You hear it all over the place.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 22, 2015, 04:24:44 PM
Hard to tell in Baseball stew. It's the one game where massive trades can reallty influence a season, and it's quite hard to make the playoffs. The Cubs will have the Cardinals to deal with every year, and then the other big NL teams like the Giants, Dodgers, Phillies etc.

It's very much a 'window of opportunity' league. If you get the chance, take it. You might not get it again.

AZ this was a bonus year for the Cubs, they were not expecting to do damage until next year and are at the very start of their window of opportunity.

Their farm system is unreal and they are going to make the players a lot in the next decade, I think they will win the series within the next two years and I despise the Cardinals, as does every Cub and Brewer fan, they are an arrogant organization and they have cheated far worse than the pats ever did.

stew

Quote from: Clov on October 22, 2015, 06:03:25 PM
I think that is a bit unfair. He's a bit of a buffoon alright but the "New York Football Giants" trope is as hackneyed as they come. You hear it all over the place.

He reminds me of Tommy Smyth, that tube is a national embarassment, 'pickin the aul ball outta the old onion bag' Please!

I have never heard worse and how he got to that level is a mystery of mysteries.

magpie seanie

Tommy Smyth is just someone's idea of a joke. Cringeworthy beyond belief.

Capt Pat

Vikings beat the Lions 28-19. They are now 4-2. Patriots remain unbeaten after beating jets.

cadhlancian

The Cubs are MILES off the top NL leagues , pitching wise. Jake Arrieta is 30 and won 10 games last year. Jon Lester is also not the same guy, on a downward slope. No doubt they have lots of good young position players . Position players don't win titles , elite pitching does.

Gabriel_Hurl

Great game to start the World Series last night - well this morning by the time it finished.

Insane story that the father of the Kansas City starting pitcher died a few hours before the game and Volquez pitched without knowing the story even though most of the media were reporting it during the game

stew

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 28, 2015, 01:53:15 PM
Great game to start the World Series last night - well this morning by the time it finished.

Insane story that the father of the Kansas City starting pitcher died a few hours before the game and Volquez pitched without knowing the story even though most of the media were reporting it durin

g the game

He knew as he was told on the way to the game apparently, at least that is the way it was reported here so.