American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelegs

Tampa Bay are 2-8 and still in the play-off hunt in the NFC South! Mad stuff

AZOffaly

Get in there. 9-1. Talk about slogging.

cadhlancian

Right now, if they stay healthy , the Pats will be very hard to beat. Arizona are playing well, still think their record is better than what they actually are. The 49' rs def is getting healthy and they will be tough down the stretch, as offensively they have been horrible so far this year. My top 10
1) Pats
2) Green Bay
3) Denver
4) Arizona
5) Kansas
6) Cowboys
7) San Fran
8) Seattle
9) Colts
10) Chargers/ Steelers

AZOffaly

As much as it pains me to say it cadhlancian, I agree with your summary of the Cards. The thing about it is I suppose is they just keep on overcoming and winning, which is a great sign in a team. Their injury list at this point reads like a MASH unit, but I get the sense they are at breaking point now. They lost another DE for the Detroit game, and during the game Dan Williams was banged up, as was Andre Ellington and Larry Fitz. All three gutted it out, but they are really thin at this stage. Stepfan Taylor was back togged out last night, but he was really limited. He's a big banger for between the tackles, and a real change up from Ellingtons 'bouncy' style. I think if they are going to continue on winning  ways the run game has got to step up. They've played two excellent defenses in the last two weeks, but then again you've got the Seahawks, Chiefs, Niners and Rams all coming down the pipe so that's going to be a common theme. You have to be able to make 4 yards on first down. If Taylor can be productive, Ellington will be even better. Marshawn Lynch would be so great for this team at the moment. Stanton is a good backup, and he was lights out for the early part of the game, but then he threw two interceptions, one inside the Lions redzone going for a 21-3 lead, and the other was returned into Cardinals territory which the D limited to a fieldgoal. After that, they reined him in a bit, and the offense basically stalled, except for a couple of excellent throws which picked up important first downs for field position purposes etc. But every run play was stuffed. If you could get into 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 5, and use play action, this offense would be even better, because they do have threats with Floyd, Fitz and Brown, as well as Ginn, Carlson and Ellington himself out of the backfield. In fairness the Defense is getting better all the time, and Patrick Peterson has returned to form in the last 3 weeks or so. Himself and Cromartie are good starting corners, and Matthieu and the rest of the secondary are making plays on the ball.

I still think the Cards could end up 10-6 or 11-5, but they've put themselves in a great position to end up 12-4 or even better.

As regards your rankings, I might put the Packers at #1 to be honest, they way they are playing now. They can really go anywhere and win in the NFC. I'm not sure the Patriots can do the same in the AFC, similar to the Broncos really. (I think the Broncos are #1 at home, but probably #6 or #7 at best away. They are only 1-3 away from Denver, and haven't won a 'big' away game yet. They're actually tied with KC now I think. I might go

1 - Pack
2 - Pats
3 - Cardinals
4 - Broncos
5 - Chiefs
6 - San Francisco
7 - Seattle
8 - Cowboys
9 - Colts
10 - Eagles

As regards your power rankings,

cadhlancian

The Pats went into Indy and totally dominated them, more or less shut them down ? Indy would be classed as probably in the top 4/5 teams in the AFC? I'd say that was a statement. Green Bays last road game ( 2 weeks ago) they got murdered by the saints?  A saints team who have subsequently lost "2 in a road at home...

AZOffaly

I don't rate the Colts as highly as that, especially their D. When I think of the AFC I think of Baltimore, Denver, Kansas, Pittsburgh etc. No doubt New England are very sound, especially now they've sorted out the O-Line a bit.

I'd be interested in how they do against a good defense though. They have Detroit in Foxboro next week, that's a good defense, but it's in New England so it might not be too much bother. Then they are away to Green Bay, San Diego and home to Miami. If they go 3-1 in that stretch they'll probably be the #1 AFC seed, and that means everyone goes through Foxboro. In that situation, I'd fancy them.

stew

Rodgers is otherworldly, he is the best I have ever seen and the Pack V the Pats is going to be one for the ages!

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Muck Savage

It's been a very open season with probably about 18 teams still in with a shot of making the playoffs. The Cards could take home field throughout the playoffs (including the Super Bowl). The should beat the Falcons and Rams and split the game with the Seahawks. That will give them 12 wins and the most anyone else can get is 13 but it's unlikely anyone is going to go unbeaten from here in given the season that's in it. Watched them yesterday and their defense is very good but they don't have enough Offensive weapons to make it to the Conf. game. The Packers however look the best team in the NFC and if the Niners can get something going on the Offensive side of the ball it will be between them and the Pack. The Niners are winning ugly right now, the defense is getting healthy and it may take a little pressure off Kap to allow him to make something happen.

The AFC side is much more open. Payton is beginning to buckle under the pressure again, so I think that will leave KC and NE. If the Ravens get in they could prove very difficult to beat but the AFC North is the most difficult division to get out of.

My top 10

1- Pack
2- Pats
3- Cards
4- Chiefs
5- Broncos
6- Niners
7- Colts
8- Ravens
9- Lions
10- Cowboys

gallsman

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on November 18, 2014, 02:35:45 PM
sick money

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/baseball/30092995

Read about this alright. But of a red herring though as it's "only" the same annual salary as A Rod got back in 2001. Cabrera's deal is significantly bigger annually.

Mike Trout's next deal will be absolutely monstrous.

stew

Quote from: gallsman on November 18, 2014, 03:10:22 PM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on November 18, 2014, 02:35:45 PM
sick money

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/baseball/30092995

Read about this alright. But of a red herring though as it's "only" the same annual salary as A Rod got back in 2001. Cabrera's deal is significantly bigger annually.

Mike Trout's next deal will be absolutely monstrous.

It's going to take some club to go tits up before these ballclubs see sense!

If ever a sport needed a salary cap it is Baseball, even more so than football.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gabriel_Hurl

20  years ago next week - "The Greatest Comeback That Never Was"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkNP9jggB2I

Gabriel_Hurl

The Bills are looking 500 people working triple shifts paying $10/hour and tickets to the game on Sunday in order to dig out Ralph Wilson Stadium - they had 6 feet of snow yesterday

Muck Savage

Raiders win Baby!
2nd last play for the Cheifs very funny. 3rd and long with 26 secs left, Raiders sack Smith and three Raiders players celebrate on the Chiefs side while Smith goes to snap the 4th down. Lucky Justin Tuck called a TO.
They celebrated like the won the Super Bowl.

AZOffaly

Saw that this morning. Dopes :) Great win for them though. That's the template for KC. Stop Charles running and make Smith and the receivers beat you.