American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

The Browns have traded Trent Richardson RB (their 2012 #1 pick) to the Colts for #1 pick in 2014.  In addition, they're starting Brian Hoyer at QB this Sunday (he's supposedly their 3rd string QB behind Jason Campbell).  Nothing like cleaning out remnants of the old regime.

I hear that Willis McGahee is in Cleveland for a physical.  Browns now odds on for the Super Bowl!

AZOffaly

Very surprised when I heard this, this morning. It looks like the Browns are either unconvinced on Richardson or else they are trying to stack the draft for next year. I think Weedon is injured in fairness, but this seems very early in the year to be trading your marquee back, especially if you are going to the street to try out lads.

Capt Pat

The new ownership of the browns want a franchise quarterback. It looks like they are giving up on the season already to get a good draft pick next April.

declan85

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 19, 2013, 11:31:11 AM
The new ownership of the browns want a franchise quarterback. It looks like they are giving up on the season already to get a good draft pick next April.

This was my first thought when i seen this trade. Is there a general consensus on the number 1 QB for next years draft. Ive heard bits & pieces about Manziel and Bridgewater but is either (or another) nailed on for the No 1 pick like Luck was?
Also thought that T-Rich was picking up some nagging injuries frequently, maybe the Browns know something we dont when they get to see him every day...

Crete Boom

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 16, 2013, 04:48:57 PM
Yeah Crete, I watch a good bit of the college ball as well. I used to live in Phoenix/Scottsdale, so I headed to a few Sun Devil games, did you see the finish to that game v Wisconsin on Saturday? Mad stuff altogether. I was a season ticket holder for the Cards as well, so I really got into the football, NCAA and NFL, when I lived over there. Since I've come home NASN, ESPN America and now Sky and ESPN are good, plus I have NFL Gamepass and ESPN Player, so I watch as much as I can on the tablet.

Notre Dame I can only see going 9-3 at best. Purdue should not have been that close, and I was worried by the lack of speed on the ND defense. They looked like they were running in mud. Having said that they did tighten up a bit in the 3rd and 4th quarters, but I can't see them living with a fast paced attack that has quality. (See Michigan).

The ND schedule to the end of the year (they are currently 2-1)  is ....

Home v Michigan State. Maybe a win at home, but far from a given. 3-1.
Home v #14 Oklahoma. I can't see them beating the Sooners. Beat them in Norman last year, so this is in South Bend, but I think the Sooner's speed will be too much. 3-2
V Arizona State at Neutral site. This is going to make or break the season I think. Sun Devils are quick, and can score, but I'm not sure they can beat Notre Dame at a neutral site. 4-2
Home v USC. USC are having a bit of a mare at the moment, and if they don't turn it around quickly, I can see the Irish beating them in South Bend. 5-2
Away @ Air Force. Should be able to win this handy. 6-2.
Home v Navy. Again, should be able to take care of these. 7-2.
Away @ Pittsburgh. Pitt are not going that well, but they will still be tricky. However if ND are going well at this stage, and 7-2, I see them winning this. 8-2
Home v BYU. If this was in Provo, I'd pick the Mormon lads. However in South Bend I think the Catholics will have enough, especially if 8-2 coming in. 9-2
Away @ Stanford. A big Uh-Oh I think. Stanford are tough, and physical and motivated to beat Notre Dame. Stanford could well be in the shakeup for a Rose Bowl or even National Championship game at this stage. 9-3

Yep pretty hilarious by Wisconsin , the QB learnt a harsh lesson but I thought the Arizona should probably have the game closed out a bit earlier. I don't know why they didn't keep trying to split the Wisconsin D with more trick plays to capitalise on their speed?

With Notre Dame I think you have called it pretty well but the Irish could easily be 7-5 or 10-2. I think we have a good chance against Oklahoma as momentum could keep the team rolling forward by then but I would also be worried about the Michigan and Pitt games which could easily go the other way. Stanford though could be a tough day at the office. Oh how I wish I was back there again getting stuck into the cheap pitchers afterwards in Rudy's bar in Palo Alto :'(.

Looking forward to the Sun Devils game now I know I have a fan to crow over or avoid after depending on the result ;D.

Asal Mor

A few thoughts after watching a few of the games from last weekend.
That was a really bad beating San Fran took from Seattle and I don't fancy their chances of reversing it next time, even at home. If Wilson had been on his passing game, the score would have been embarrassing. San Fran's offensive and defensive lines were hammered, their receivers couldn't get an inch and Gore got nothing either. The 49ers best receiver Boldin, made his first catch late on, when the game was over. Richard Sherman had the beating of him all day. The only time the 49ers looked a bit dangerous was when Kappernick stopped minding himself and started running. I'd say if they met in the playoffs we'd see a lot more of that and that in turn might create more opportunities for Gore and the receivers. I can't see them beating Seattle if Kapp stays in the pocket, even though he's a brilliant passer. His targets are struggling to get open against this defense. I know it's only 1 game but it raised a lot of serious questions about this 49ers team.

Seattle are 1 powerful team and their running game is close to unstoppable. Themselves and Denver look way ahead of the rest.

Watched Texas and Alabama. Manziel looks tiny for the NFL but I read somewhere that he's 6 ft 1". Can that be right?
I'm not a big fan of college ball. It's a bit watery compared with the NFL and, a bit like sevens rugby, there's loads of space and it's too easy for the speedsters to score. The crowd and the atmosphere were great as always but the Texas defense never looked like they could hold Alabama without a penalty or a turnover. Even when Texas were leading early on, an Alabama win looked inevitable.

thejuice

Your hand writing is very neat.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

The Chip Kelly carnival came to somewhat of a halt last night. Vick was sacked 7 times, intercepted twice and capped it off with a fumble to finish. He was under pressure all night but he also ran for 99 yards, probably due to that pressure. He's not going to last long at this rate. At least McCoy (who I have on one fantasy team) was again awesome though he hurt his ankle (not supposed to be too serious).

Alex Smith was excellent again in the bit I saw (4th quarter). I don't think he was treated shabbily at SF - he was simply replaced by a better player - but he is well worthy of being an NFL starter. The Chiefs are 3-0 and even with Denver to play twice they should be in the hunt for the playoffs.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 20, 2013, 03:18:19 AM
A few thoughts after watching a few of the games from last weekend.
That was a really bad beating San Fran took from Seattle and I don't fancy their chances of reversing it next time, even at home. If Wilson had been on his passing game, the score would have been embarrassing. San Fran's offensive and defensive lines were hammered, their receivers couldn't get an inch and Gore got nothing either. The 49ers best receiver Boldin, made his first catch late on, when the game was over. Richard Sherman had the beating of him all day. The only time the 49ers looked a bit dangerous was when Kappernick stopped minding himself and started running. I'd say if they met in the playoffs we'd see a lot more of that and that in turn might create more opportunities for Gore and the receivers. I can't see them beating Seattle if Kapp stays in the pocket, even though he's a brilliant passer. His targets are struggling to get open against this defense. I know it's only 1 game but it raised a lot of serious questions about this 49ers team.

Seattle are 1 powerful team and their running game is close to unstoppable. Themselves and Denver look way ahead of the rest.

Watched Texas and Alabama. Manziel looks tiny for the NFL but I read somewhere that he's 6 ft 1". Can that be right?
I'm not a big fan of college ball. It's a bit watery compared with the NFL and, a bit like sevens rugby, there's loads of space and it's too easy for the speedsters to score. The crowd and the atmosphere were great as always but the Texas defense never looked like they could hold Alabama without a penalty or a turnover. Even when Texas were leading early on, an Alabama win looked inevitable.

Texas A&M. The Aggies would love to have been mixed up with the Longhorns 10 or 15 years ago, but not at the moment :D Manziel does look small, but remember he's standing in beside 6' 4'' and 6' 5'' behemoths, so it's not hard to imagine him at 6'1'' either. He's very light too at the moment, but the lad is still an under 21 :D He'll probably go in the draft this year, but he still has two more full years of eligibility because he redshirted as a freshman. I think he needs at least one more year to get ready to be honest. I know some lads have suffered in coming back, but they were heading into their senior year. I'd stay if I were him.

The best QB in the NCAA might well be Oregon's Marcus Mariota. He's very like a Kaepernick kind of a fella.

As regards the merits of College versus NFL, yeah undoubtedly the talent in the NFL is far higher overall, but that's only natural because it's the cream of the crop from college that make the NFL. There are 32 NFL Franchises with active rosters of 53. That's 1,696 active players every week. Many of them will be multi year veterans. In college there are 120 FBS (division 1) schools alone, and each of them can offer 85 scholarships, and along with walk ons can have up to 105 active players. That's 12,600 kids dessed in division 1 alone every week, and they can only play for 4 years max. With that volume and so few, relatively speaking, making the NFL it's a no brainer that the on-field product in the NFL is faster, bigger and better.

However College Football has its own attractions which make it a great sport itself. The Traditions and Rivalries, which really mean something, are huge. There are very few professional games that compare to the likes of Texas v Oklahoma, Notre Dame v USC, Michigan and Ohio State, Alabama-Auburn,  Georgia - Georgia Tech, Army - Navy or numerous other rivalries which have been on the go all over the country for decades. Things like Free Agency and the whole Franchsie element are issues that College Football doesn't have to worry about. Alabama is not about to move to Arkansas anytime soon.

Then you have the pageantry and the ancillary traditions. The Notre Dame Band of the Fighting Irish, Ohio State dotting the i, The Michigan Victory March, Playing between the hedges, running down the hill at Clemson etc etc etc.

College football is very much traditional Americana. Famous Names and history, Mom Pop and Apple Pie, Saturday afternoons and the smell of grilled hotdogs mixing in the air with the sound of the band striking up the school fight song as you play your rivals from across the state. I used to love going to Friday Night Lights football in a high school called Horizon, and then watch college football all day Saturday :)

As regards the talent then, the other thing about the NCAA is that it is great to watch the good players and follow them into the NFL and the next level. I remember Peyton Manning as a Tennessee Volunteer and it;s amazing to watch his progression. There are countless other example of that.

Long story short, I wouldn't simply use the 4 downs you see on the field to compare the two, they are both great but in College it's the full package that makes it great, not just the 60 minutes. In the NFL it's all about Any Given Sunday :)

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 20, 2013, 11:40:12 AM
The Chip Kelly carnival came to somewhat of a halt last night. Vick was sacked 7 times, intercepted twice and capped it off with a fumble to finish. He was under pressure all night but he also ran for 99 yards, probably due to that pressure. He's not going to last long at this rate. At least McCoy (who I have on one fantasy team) was again awesome though he hurt his ankle (not supposed to be too serious).

Alex Smith was excellent again in the bit I saw (4th quarter). I don't think he was treated shabbily at SF - he was simply replaced by a better player - but he is well worthy of being an NFL starter. The Chiefs are 3-0 and even with Denver to play twice they should be in the hunt for the playoffs.

I agree Seanie, on all of that. I think the problem the Eagles will have (apart from trying to keep Vick on the field) is that if they don't score, they are going so fast that their defense is gassed from being on the field all the time. 3 and out in 80 seconds doesn't give your horses a lot of time to water down on the sideline. Kansas are good. I think themselves and San Diego might have an intriguing battle for second in the AFC West. Mind you if Kansas keep going like this it will be a battle with Denver for 1st. Their linebackers are savage.

magpie seanie

The lach of rest for their defense is a huge issue and will tell a tale later in the year. I saw it with da Bears in the Grossman era a lot. Even though it's a passing league primarily, time of possession is key.

cadhlancian

Kansas City are much better than the Chargers. San Diego needed a last second 47 FG to beat the Eagles last week. Their running game is weak, they are very average at WR and their secondary is brutal, ( Peyton will love playing these guys). Eddie Royal has scored 5 TDs in 2 games, he scored 5 in 3 years before that. Dont be holding your breath on a pro bowl season from him, hes a 3rd reciever , and punt returner. Kansas will give Denver there fill of it, albeit falling a little short. Denver just lost Clady from their OL and are already without their starting center. We shall see I suppose....

Syferus

College ball is amazing. There's few better atmospheres or occasions in world sport than big college rivalry games, be it the Iron Bowl, Auburn-Georgia, Okies-Texas and so many more. There's such a wealth of history and passion that it's easy to see the similarities to the GAA.

It makes the NFL look staid by comparison.

Oraisteach

Hey, Syf,

Isn't the Iron Bowl played between Auburn and Alabama?  Nothing quite like Ohio State/Michigan at the Shoe or the Big House.  105-110,000 or more in attendance.  Almost as good as a Cross/St. Brigid's clash.

Back in the day, though, Browns/Steelers was a terrific rivalry.

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 20, 2013, 02:59:39 PM

College football is very much traditional Americana. Famous Names and history, Mom Pop and Apple Pie, Saturday afternoons and the smell of grilled hotdogs mixing in the air with the sound of the band striking up the school fight song as you play your rivals from across the state. I used to love going to Friday Night Lights football in a high school called Horizon, and then watch college football all day Saturday :)

As regards the talent then, the other thing about the NCAA is that it is great to watch the good players and follow them into the NFL and the next level. I remember Peyton Manning as a Tennessee Volunteer and it;s amazing to watch his progression. There are countless other example of that.

Long story short, I wouldn't simply use the 4 downs you see on the field to compare the two, they are both great but in College it's the full package that makes it great, not just the 60 minutes. In the NFL it's all about Any Given Sunday :)
Interesting post AZ and it seems like one of those things where you need to have attended some of those games to appreciate it. It does look like a lot of fun.

The Eagles are a right mess all of a sudden and they have a trip to Denver next - they'd better start praying. Kansas play it very safe on offense. Smith didn't try a dangerous pass all night. Charles and Avery were very impressive and I like the policy of just trying to avoid turnovers, even if it means punting the ball away a lot. If you do that, a lot of teams will beat themselves, just as Philly did.