American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Anyone who dismisses Manning as merely lucky doesn't know what they're talking about. And I'm sure if you take any quarterback, you'll find close calls in terms of picks.  They often have to throw into spaces with inches to spare, so its going to happen, no matter how accurate the thrower. Give Manning and the Giants the credit they're due after the injuries, the free agent losses and the reliance on new players they've had this season. And for those saying Manning has been lucky with the likes of Victor Cruz, well maybe its the other way around. Who'd be talking about Cruz had he been a receiver for Denver this year instead? Same with Ballard. Manning is the primary reason the Giants are where they are this season. He got the blame for his turnovers last year. Give him the credit for his superb performances tbis year.

GalwayBayBoy

Eli is good alright in fact very good at times this season but he's also lucky. A formidable combination.

I remember reading a stat from a year or so ago where it said Eli's QB rating is almost identical in wins and losses. He plays at about the same level either way but the Giants tend to win a lot of close games.

Whereas someone like Rodgers actually had a poor enough record in close games with the Packers despite the fact that he actually usually plays very well himself and with a higher QB rating than Eli. Green Bay just tends to lose close games no matter how well Rodgers plays.

J70

Manning played very well on Sunday yet had a relatively low QB rating. That stat doesn't give the whole picture. Not saying Eli is in that very top tier with Rodgers and Brady, but he's close. I'd never fear for the Giants against any team based on Eli.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 24, 2012, 08:56:59 PM
Eli is good alright in fact very good at times this season but he's also lucky. A formidable combination.

I remember reading a stat from a year or so ago where it said Eli's QB rating is almost identical in wins and losses. He plays at about the same level either way but the Giants tend to win a lot of close games.

Whereas someone like Rodgers actually had a poor enough record in close games with the Packers despite the fact that he actually usually plays very well himself and with a higher QB rating than Eli. Green Bay just tends to lose close games no matter how well Rodgers plays.
Isnt it better to be LUCKY and GOOD than just Good. Imo it is.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mc_grens

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 24, 2012, 11:08:39 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 24, 2012, 08:56:59 PM

Isnt it better to be LUCKY and GOOD than just Good. Imo it is.

I think youse are all missing a key point here. Yes he's good, yes he's lucky, but he also has a bloody fantastic group of receivers. The Giants can rush the passer really well, and they get big plays from the passing game, they also have momentum. I think it's going to be a really close game, the Pats O-line holds they key to whether they can win or not.

Minder

One thing Manning has that you jut can't buy is he seems to play well in the big games. Since the Jets game before Christmas (when it has been knockout for them) his TD/INT stats are 12tds-2int.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

Seems like Peyton Manning isn't happy with the way things are in Indy with a large number of people being shown the door. He said he wanted to play at Indy for his whole career but would understand if its not possible. That said he might even just hang it up, he's won a superbowl, he's 35, just had surgery, and is considered one of if not the best QB of all time.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

Peyton's situation is a sticky one. They are taking Andrew Luck and he should be worthy of starting (look at what Cam Newton did last year). So who'll want Peyton? Someone looking for a short term significant upgrade at QB that might turn them into contenders - do I hear you saying J-E-T-S??!!!! Both Mannings in the big apple would be something, especially if the younger, less celebrated brother has 2 rings versus his older brothers 1!

J70

There's been some talk in NYC about Peyton coming to the Jets, with Eli questioned about it last week too (he didn't give anything away!). The Jets GM and Rex Ryan didn't rule it completely out either in interviews I heard. There's also been some speculation about him going to Arizona, where he'd have an easier division than the AFC east.

mc_grens

He's a 35 year old on a bad team who's had 3 neck surgeries. He's clearly well behind in his recovery. If Indy don't bring him back he'll retire.

Minder

Quote from: mc_grens on January 26, 2012, 08:26:30 AM
He's a 35 year old on a bad team who's had 3 neck surgeries. He's clearly well behind in his recovery. If Indy don't bring him back he'll retire.

You would imagine he could name his price to any of the networks as an analyst too.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on January 26, 2012, 09:22:16 AM
Quote from: mc_grens on January 26, 2012, 08:26:30 AM

You would imagine he could name his price to any of the networks as an analyst too.

Ah I dunno. I don't think you could listen to him for long. He'd send you to sleep.

ballinaman

How did Indy go to muck over the space of 2 seasons?? Did they loose a rake of players besides Manning?

mc_grens

Quote from: ballinaman on January 26, 2012, 09:27:49 AM
How did Indy go to muck over the space of 2 seasons?? Did they loose a rake of players besides Manning?

5 bad drafts in a row. A very top heavy roster (a number of huge stars commanding massive money, and a pile of journeymen). Massive dependence on 18.

Btw. What I should've said up the way there is that I think he's gone whether Indy bring him back or not.

ballinaman

Quote from: mc_grens on January 26, 2012, 09:45:18 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on January 26, 2012, 09:27:49 AM

5 bad drafts in a row. A very top heavy roster (a number of huge stars commanding massive money, and a pile of journeymen). Massive dependence on 18.

Btw. What I should've said up the way there is that I think he's gone whether Indy bring him back or not.
I see. Dungee leaving as well couldn't have helped either i suppose.