American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 13, 2011, 09:37:52 PM
Tough call by the falcons to run it there on 4th down in OT on your own 30. O-Line didn't show up for that play. Coach will probably get hammered for it, but if your O-Line can't get a push in that situation you're at nothing.

It was a terrible decision. I couldn't believe they went for it in that situation. Fair enough if it was in the saints half, or in normal time. And if you are going for it, it's about time Mike Smith had something else up his sleeve  on 4th and short than ram Michael Turner up the middle. How about a Flea Flicker to Harry Douglas or a play action to Tony Gonzalez.

The problem for the Falcons is that Matt Ryan isn't quite turning out to be as great as was initially thought. He's good, a nice guy and a good work ethic but not in the same league as Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers by a long shot. And to be honest there is no one on the sideline to help him make that next step, looking at our coaches and co-ordinators.

Unless the Falcons develop either an intimidating shut-down defence like the Steelers-Ravens (defence weren't bad last night though it a has to be said) or an almost unstoppable, versatile offence like the Saints-Packers. Right now they are just a jack of all trades, good in most areas but not great at anything.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

Enjoyed the beat down da Bears put on the Lions. Back in yer box there lads.

The theory that Stafford is hugely overrated and is lucky to have Megatron to lob the ball to gains more credence.

Bears 6-3 with the AFC West to play in the next 4 weeks. Next week could be good craic with Rivers and co coming to Chicago.

Rois

How's my NBA lock-out situation looking? 

Capt Pat

They can get out stay out and get the fire brigade out for all I care.

redandblack4ever

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 14, 2011, 11:33:20 AM

The theory that Stafford is hugely overrated and is lucky to have Megatron to lob the ball to gains more credence.

Bears 6-3 with the AFC West to play in the next 4 weeks. Next week could be good craic with Rivers and co coming to Chicago.

There was a lot of talking last night on the sports roundups about the Lions playing "disrespectfully". I guess in the first game the Lions did a lot of trash talking and stuff like that. It was nice to see my Bears playing well. I really don't care if they get a playoff spot or not, that would be gravy, but I do want them to beat the Packers. The Bears could go 1-15 for a season, but if they beat the Packers, that would satisfy me. Expecially in Green Bay....
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

J70

Quote from: Rois on November 14, 2011, 02:50:52 PM

Should know over the next day or two.

mc_grens

Based on a twitter chat run by the NBA last night in which fans could ask questions of David Stern and Adam Silver, and the players reactions to some of their answers- monumentally bad at the moment. We could see the Decertification route taken by the players tomorrow.

stew

Tebow gets it done again, those numbers are ridiculous on him.

I can see the packers blowing this lot out of town again tonight, I was offered a ticket this morning but have no interest freezing my arse off while watching a laugher.

Those hapless Bears hammered D town, good for them, division over by the end of Thanksgiving day.  ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magpie seanie

Quote from: redandblack4ever on November 14, 2011, 03:12:45 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 14, 2011, 11:33:20 AM

There was a lot of talking last night on the sports roundups about the Lions playing "disrespectfully". I guess in the first game the Lions did a lot of trash talking and stuff like that. It was nice to see my Bears playing well. I really don't care if they get a playoff spot or not, that would be gravy, but I do want them to beat the Packers. The Bears could go 1-15 for a season, but if they beat the Packers, that would satisfy me. Expecially in Green Bay....

I hear ya. A pity that the game is Soldier Field has already been played cos the Bears are much better now than they were in week 3. I know Stew reckons the Packers "own" da Bears but results over the last two and a half seasons show that there's not a lot in it (Bears have won 2 out of 6 and I think there was only a score in 3 of the other 4?).

Tebow got another W alright but is running out of running backs!

Capt Pat

The only way this game will be a laugher Stew is if the vikings win. The Vikings are coming off a bye almost 100% healthy with their early season issues behind them. It will be high scoring but competitive.............until the Vikings pull away :P

Mont

Quote from: J70 on November 14, 2011, 03:39:26 PM

the next day or 2 should decide if the league starts in mid december.
signs arent good mind you - from twitter a lot of the playrs r getting pissed of that the owners arent giving up enough

J70

Quote from: Mont on November 14, 2011, 06:16:49 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 14, 2011, 03:39:26 PM

the next day or 2 should decide if the league starts in mid december.

signs arent good mind you - from twitter a lot of the playrs r getting pissed of that the owners arent giving up enough

Right... Rois is concerned about getting to a Knicks or Nets game during an xmas trip to NYC.

Some of the stuff the owners want is right though. This consolidation that's underway of the major superstars into a small number of teams such as the Lakers, Heat, Celtics (although their stars are getting old) and the Knicks will kill the league.

Mont

Mont

the players have rejected the latest offer - looks like it will be a dead season

mc_grens

Quote from: Mont on November 14, 2011, 07:09:21 PM
the players have rejected the latest offer - looks like it will be a dead season

N ever
B allin'
A gain

I'm so sick right now.