Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t_mac

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 04, 2019, 02:50:01 PM
Quote from: t_mac on November 04, 2019, 02:23:52 PM
Quote from: uimhr ocht on November 04, 2019, 02:16:15 PM
How many votes did sinn fein get in last election in south,east,belfast and in north down?

You are on the internet and you can't look that up?

You're as bad as Syferus was.

Good move by the 2 nationalist parties. I imagine N Belfast will be very, very ugly.

Why because someone can't be arsed looking something up, hardly rocket science, he made the effort to post here - go mental and google the information.

BennyCake

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 04, 2019, 01:09:15 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 04, 2019, 12:29:54 PM
Armstrong is a complete ignoramus. Just cos she's the Alliance Chief Whip at Stormont, she thinks she owns the place. Completely up her own arse - a vindictive & nasty piece of work altogether.

Remember on Nolan once she was talking absolute shite about how the Republic still had a lot to do to become as liberal and progressive as the UK, funny I dont remember when the UK had a PM who was openly gay and non-white. Sure even Tony Blair didnt become a catholic until he was out of office for fear of the shit storm it would cause. Nope I cant stand her and I once voted Alliance but they seem to be annoying me more and more

Blair converting might have something to do with Catholics not allowed to be the British PM.

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on November 04, 2019, 03:48:02 PM
Armstrong is a complete ignoramus. Just cos she's the Alliance Chief Whip at Stormont, she thinks she owns the place. Completely up her own arse - a vindictive & nasty piece of work altogether.

Remember on Nolan once she was talking absolute shite about how the Republic still had a lot to do to become as liberal and progressive as the UK, funny I dont remember when the UK had a PM who was openly gay and non-white. Sure even Tony Blair didnt become a catholic until he was out of office for fear of the shit storm it would cause. Nope I cant stand her and I once voted Alliance but they seem to be annoying me more and more

Blair converting might have something to do with Catholics not allowed to be the British PM.
Johnson is a babtised catholic, allegedly free from original sin.

smelmoth

When and where did you make that one up?

omaghjoe

Quote from: smelmoth on November 05, 2019, 06:35:23 AM

A quick google should tell you that although the law is not fully explicit for PM there is something to it....

LooseCannon

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 05, 2019, 07:10:57 AM

A quick google should tell you that although the law is not fully explicit for PM there is something to it....

The law was only changed in the last couple of years methinks. Was the same for the line of succession to the throne (or whatever it's called) until around the same time.

screenexile

Greens stepping aside in South Belfast too. . . Based on the last election Hannah should walk it without SF and the Greens there!!

Main Street

There were no laws prohibiting a catholic from being UK pm, at least not in the 20c. Blair did not convert while in offfice for obvious reasons, not for some mysterious legal obstacle. Those reasons probably more to do with the publicity / prejudice around such a high profile conversion would be a distraction and dark forces such as the NI  unionists would seek to make political capital out of it.
Johnson is a catholic, why is that being ignored here?
Strange as it may seem  considering England was the source of Imperialism with its institutionalized racism and sadistic cruelty, I don't think religion is an issue in political life in England.

playwiththewind1st

Well the Labour Party is in a right fix about the Jewish question, so maybe there is an issue in political life in England surrounding religion.

BennyCake

Quote from: LooseCannon on November 05, 2019, 07:46:29 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on November 05, 2019, 07:10:57 AM

The law was only changed in the last couple of years methinks. Was the same for the line of succession to the throne (or whatever it's called) until around the same time.

They say it was changed recently. Maybe the anti-catholic stance has diminished (on the surface) in Britain, but the House of Lords has COE leaders only in it. No influence from Catholicism. The idea is that having Catholics around the place advising the government and royalty and pushing their Vatican dogma, we'll we couldn't have that, could we?

Anyway, I wouldn't be fooled by the removal of the Catholic monarch/PM thing. Britain from the top, is as still sectarian as anything you'd have seen at the time of Henry 8 or the setup of Guy Fawkes.

johnnycool

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 05, 2019, 09:31:26 AM
Well the Labour Party is in a right fix about the Jewish question, so maybe there is an issue in political life in England surrounding religion.

Or is that the Israeli question?

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: screenexile on November 05, 2019, 09:23:14 AM
Greens stepping aside in South Belfast too. . . Based on the last election Hannah should walk it without SF and the Greens there!!

Great stuff good riddance to ELP

gallsman

Quote from: Main Street on November 05, 2019, 09:24:20 AM

Johnson is a catholic, why is that being ignored here?

Is he? He was baptized one but confirmed as Anglican.

marty34

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 05, 2019, 10:55:35 AM
Quote from: screenexile on November 05, 2019, 09:23:14 AM

Great stuff good riddance to ELP

Excellent news - 1 less DUP bigot.

imtommygunn

Hopefully but not going to get too carried away until it actually happens.