Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: dec on November 01, 2019, 03:38:20 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 01, 2019, 12:32:35 PM

Sinn Fein need to get out of here and let Hanna have a run at it ... it's a done deal if they do sure McDonnell was useless and nearly ousted Pengelly last time!

Sinn Fein have no interest in the SDLP being successful. They would rather get to the situation where they are the only voice for nationalism in the north.

The Pro EU sides need to get their act together and get a pact organised asap. 

They then need to tell the electorate that this is about Brexit - votes are either for or against. 

Give the voters a choice - DUP or anti-Brexit party (whoever that may be pact wise)

Sending mixed messages will be hopeless.

Armagh18

Sinn Fein need to get out of here and let Hanna have a run at it ... it's a done deal if they do sure McDonnell was useless and nearly ousted Pengelly last time!

Sinn Fein have no interest in the SDLP being successful. They would rather get to the situation where they are the only voice for nationalism in the north.
Looks like the situation at the minute anyway.... sdlp=unionists dressed as nationalists.

BennyCake

Aye, and what do they do with their voice? They may as well shout down a well, for all the good they do.

take_yer_points

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 01, 2019, 01:34:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 01, 2019, 12:44:00 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 01, 2019, 12:33:59 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 01, 2019, 12:25:18 PM
Looking at the figures Boris will win this election by a very large margin.

Way too early to tell that!! Also he's had a bad couple of days on the campaign trail so far this thing will close and it'll be a hung parliament!

I am worried this may be the outcome.

If it is then it's the end of Corbyn so basically it's the end of Corbyn or the end of Johnson I expect. I would rather see Johnson finished than Corbyn but I think it is a matter of time and the right circumstances before Corbyn is ousted anyway. I think this could be them.

I don't get why so many want to see the end of Corbyn.
Looking at the leaders of all the main parties, he's the only one who seems to be genuine when it comes to the NHS, the poor, the students and workers.
Forgetting about Brexit for a second, these are things that actually affect people currently and will continue to do so in the future.
I see lots of comments about anyone being better than Corbyn so they are voting Tory to keep him out but from my perspective, anyone is better than any Tory. I personally like Corbyn's politics.

I think Boris and Farage will do a deal and it could well still be as drastic as being a no-deal Brexit being the arrangement.
This could give the Tories a majority. Without that deal, I think it will only ever be a hung parliament.
I think Lib Dems will increase their share of the vote with the Remain promise, Labour will win in some areas and lose to UKIP/Tories in others with their promise of a people's vote.
I wonder would LibDems and Labour team up to form a coalition in the case of a hung parliament?

I terms of the local MPs, I'd like to see almost any opportunity taken to reduce the DUP representation in Westminster.
They are toxic.
To the point, that in the absence of any official pact with Alliance/SDLP I'd hope SF will decide not to run a candidate in certain constituencies to ensure a remain candidate is returned.
Their abstentionist policy wont change, so there is a need to look at the bigger picture on how they can influence proceedings in Westminster. Personally, I think Alliance have some excellent options and for SDLP I think Hanna is very good. I think they could represent the majority of the people here in terms of Brexit opinion.

If Boris and Farage do a deal with no deal as the arrangement, would Boris not lose a portion of his vote who want to leave with a deal?

seafoid

The combination of the Assembly shutdown and the SF clean sweep last time meant that the only person standing up for Remainers was Sylvia Hermon. SF need a good kick up the arse this time around.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 01, 2019, 06:36:02 PM

Looks like the situation at the minute anyway.... sdlp=unionists dressed as nationalists.

How do you work that out?

naka

Awful statement
But it sums up shinner thinking
this board has gone down hill in the 20 years I have been on it

Jim Bob

Such a stupid statement.  1980s Provo mentality

Eamonnca1

The chuckies seem to be more outspoken in their quest for an immediate border poll than they are in any opposition to Brexit. In fact they don't seem to be opposed to Brexit at all. It's like they see Brexit as an opportunity to come up with some novel arrangement for the North staying in the EU while Britain leaves.

yellowcard

UUP staff now receiving threats after their refusal to enter a pact with the DUP. Is this what democracy looks like in 2019, bully boy tactics to influence election results.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: yellowcard on November 01, 2019, 08:59:04 PM
UUP staff now receiving threats after their refusal to enter a pact with the DUP. Is this what democracy looks like in 2019, bully boy tactics to influence election results.

Jamie Bryson will be on the Nolan show first thing on Monday morning, blaming it on the IRA, probably.

Eamonnca1

Boris has rejected a pact with Farage!

seafoid

http://www.sdlp.ie/news/2016/eastwood-poll-lays-out-challenge-for-nationalism/

The results of the BBC IPSOS MORI poll set out the clear challenge for nationalism. We now need to put in the hard yards to develop a credible and detailed path to Irish unity. Only a comprehensive national debate with detailed proposals can move the discussion beyond the predetermined and into the practical. Scottish Independence activists compiled a 670-page document outlining the road to independent nationhood. That saw support from independence rise from 28% in 2013 to 45% in 2014.

"I firmly believe that the people of Northern Ireland will judge that their interests are best served in a united Ireland, in the same way that they astutely judged our interests were best served in a strong, united Europe. The challenge now is for civic nationalism to articulate how unity can provide better public services, forge a vibrant new economy and create a better quality of life for everyone on the island. The SDLP is up for that challenge and we'll join with others across this island to make that case."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 01, 2019, 08:54:10 PM
The chuckies seem to be more outspoken in their quest for an immediate border poll than they are in any opposition to Brexit. In fact they don't seem to be opposed to Brexit at all. It's like they see Brexit as an opportunity to come up with some novel arrangement for the North staying in the EU while Britain leaves.

Indeed. All that comes out of any Shinner mouth is border poll this, border poll that it seems.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

t_mac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 01, 2019, 08:11:40 PM

How do you work that out?

Probably because they don't shout tiocfaidh ar la, and want to engage in political institutions to serve their electorate.