Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: oliverkelly on March 29, 2019, 11:57:18 AM
Are there many Catholics in North squad these days?

More than you would think and always has been which makes the IFA look even worse

BennyCake

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 29, 2019, 01:05:53 PM

More than you would think and always has been which makes the IFA look even worse

Those Catholic players in the squad don't look particularly good either, declaring for NI.

thebuzz

Quote from: BennyCake on March 29, 2019, 01:38:53 PM

Those Catholic players in the squad don’t look particularly good either, declaring for NI.

The biggest surprise to me is how Michael O'Neill ever got the chance to prove how good a manager he is.

michaelg

Quote from: thebuzz on March 29, 2019, 03:04:43 PM

Those Catholic players in the squad don't look particularly good either, declaring for NI.

The biggest surprise to me is how Michael O'Neill ever got the chance to prove how good a manager he is.
Why do you say that?  If it's because he's a catholic, there have been catholic managers in the past.  Indeed, Peter the Great took NI to the QFs of the World Cup in 1958.  Perhaps you are relatively knew to following Irish football (Soccer).

michaelg

If you are a bigot yourself, maybe.  For the likes of Niall McGinn, Shane Ferguson & Liam Boyce it is has given them the opportunity to play at the highest level and has likely had a positive impact on their club careers.

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on March 29, 2019, 06:04:36 PM

If you are a bigot yourself, maybe.  For the likes of Niall McGinn, Shane Ferguson & Liam Boyce it is has given them the opportunity to play at the highest level and has likely had a positive impact on their club careers.

Given the treatment of Neil Lennon and the sectarian songs sung openly at Windsor over the years, it would be perfectly understandable for a northern born catholic to declare for Ireland or not play international football at all. McGinn and co play for NI, that's fine. I don't criticise them for it. I just can't understand why they would.

While there have been many catholics who played for NI, the affiliation to a NI team for catholics/nationalists has vastly diminished over the years. While it's more than just sectarianism that's the problem, it certainly doesn't help and the IFA waited too long to try and create a team and an atmosphere  for both communities. Yes, things have improved at Windsor, but the horse had long bolted.

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on March 29, 2019, 06:23:45 PM

Given the treatment of Neil Lennon and the sectarian songs sung openly at Windsor over the years, it would be perfectly understandable for a northern born catholic to declare for Ireland or not play international football at all. McGinn and co play for NI, that's fine. I don't criticise them for it. I just can't understand why they would.

While there have been many catholics who played for NI, the affiliation to a NI team for catholics/nationalists has vastly diminished over the years. While it's more than just sectarianism that's the problem, it certainly doesn't help and the IFA waited too long to try and create a team and an atmosphere  for both communities. Yes, things have improved at Windsor, but the horse had long bolted.
You did criticise them - See your earlier post.  I would imagine that there is not much that the IFA could do to make you change your views.  I would say equally as significant factors in the diminished affiliation that you refer to have been the improvement in the ROIs on field results in recent decades and the ability of Northern catholics / Nationalists such as Gibson, McClean etc being able to now declare for the ROI.

tonto1888

The north isn't a team I would ever support. That said I'm less outright anti them than I once was and was happy enough to see them do well in the euros. The video the other night is far from an isolated incident tho. There has been other videos in the past that we know about. I don't blame nationalists, never mind republicans, for not supporting them

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on March 29, 2019, 06:45:37 PM

You did criticise them - See your earlier post.  I would imagine that there is not much that the IFA could do to make you change your views.  I would say equally as significant factors in the diminished affiliation that you refer to have been the improvement in the ROIs on field results in recent decades and the ability of Northern catholics / Nationalists such as Gibson, McClean etc being able to now declare for the ROI.

That was merely an observation, and a response to the previous post.

Yes, the Big Jack era did have an affect too. But I think by the time Gibson/McClean etc declared for Ireland, the interest for the NI team for catholics/nationalists was already very low.

And yes, you're right, there's not a lot the IFA could do to change my views. The fact that NI exists is reason enough for me not to support them. Having said that, I don't detest them either. I'm just not that interested. A bit like being a Liverpool fan and not being interested in how Grimsby are getting on.

But there was a time when NI was successful, and that was the time to get more nationalists on board. Looking at the Union flags, sectarian chanting, national anthem, flag etc years ago might have made a difference. As of now, most of those issues still haven't been looked at.

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on March 29, 2019, 08:00:10 PM

Yes, the Big Jack era did have an affect too. But I think by the time Gibson/McClean etc declared for Ireland, the interest for the NI team for catholics/nationalists was already very low.

And yes, you're right, there's not a lot the IFA could do to change my views. The fact that NI exists is reason enough for me not to support them. Having said that, I don't detest them either. I'm just not that interested. A bit like being a Liverpool fan and not being interested in how Grimsby are getting on.

But there was a time when NI was successful, and that was the time to get more nationalists on board. Looking at the Union flags, sectarian chanting, national anthem, flag etc years ago might have made a difference. As of now, most of those issues still haven't been looked at.
To be fair, there are next to no Union Jacks and there is no sectarian chanting at the ground.  Out of interest, if they got rid of GSTQ, would that make a trip to Windsor Park anymore palatable for catholics / nationalists?  I wouldn't expect you to become a super fan, but does the opportunity to go and watch Ronaldo etc on your doorstep for 30 odd quid have zero appeal? 

imtommygunn

It needs to be removed from Windsor park. That is the only hope to be honest.

David McKeown

Quote from: michaelg on March 29, 2019, 08:34:43 PM

To be fair, there are next to no Union Jacks and there is no sectarian chanting at the ground.  Out of interest, if they got rid of GSTQ, would that make a trip to Windsor Park anymore palatable for catholics / nationalists?  I wouldn't expect you to become a super fan, but does the opportunity to go and watch Ronaldo etc on your doorstep for 30 odd quid have zero appeal?

I probably sound like a broken record on this but having been involved in local and youth football for over 10 years I accept the IFA have done a lot to be more inclusive but their position on Irish men playing for Ireland is reprehensible as is their willingness to take those same men to court. Until that position changes and the agreement with the FAI on youth players is torn up I doubt I'll Ever be in Windsor for an international match.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

michaelg

Quote from: David McKeown on March 29, 2019, 09:28:20 PM

I probably sound like a broken record on this but having been involved in local and youth football for over 10 years I accept the IFA have done a lot to be more inclusive but their position on Irish men playing for Ireland is reprehensible as is their willingness to take those same men to court. Until that position changes and the agreement with the FAI on youth players is torn up I doubt I'll Ever be in Windsor for an international match.
Is that not a done deal now?  Also, given the arrangements that were in place for many years previous, can you not understand the IFA's initial reluctance to allow the changes that have come in in recent times after Gibson and McClean etc declared for the ROI?  Not on the wind-up here, but I think ROI fans have also seen with the Declan Rice situation how annoying it is when an association helps to develop a player only for them to then represent a different senior team.

BennyCake

Re: GSTQ, it might do for some. Getting rid of things like that makes for a more universal and inclusive feel. I'd imagine most catholics just don't feel comfortable with the whole setup. I've been to countless matches involving rival GAA clubs and county teams and never felt uncomfortable even if I've been wearing my own teams colours. I'm not sure id feel comfortable in Windsor. Catholics going to watch Ronaldo v NI would be more common id imagine if flag/anthems were removed or changed.

David McKeown

Quote from: michaelg on March 29, 2019, 09:37:29 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 29, 2019, 09:28:20 PM

Is that not a done deal now?  Also, given the arrangements that were in place for many years previous, can you not understand the IFA's initial reluctance to allow the changes that have come in in recent times after Gibson and McClean etc declared for the ROI?  Not on the wind-up here, but I think ROI fans have also seen with the Declan Rice situation how annoying it is when an association helps to develop a player only for them to then represent a different senior team.

It's a done deal in so far as the IFA took a player to court and lost but continue to pontificate about the injustice they claim they are suffering completely ignoring the reality of the situation. Also there was no changes to rules since at least 1957 players born in Northern Ireland were eligible to play for either Northern Ireland or the Republic, (I actually this CAS May have been wrong to suggested it limit it to 1957 onward but ultimately nothing turned on that). The players you mentioned would have been as eligible to switch 10 years ago as they were 30 years ago.

The Declan Rice situation is vastly different. The FAI do not have an agreement with the FA to stop the FA selecting a certain group of English players for underage England teams. The IFA have managed to secure an agreement with the FAI for the FAI to ignore certain underage players (which is also disgrace by the FAI by the way).

What effectively is happening is that to ask a nationalist in Northern Ireland to support Northern Ireland you are asking them in first instance to recognise the right of any person from Northern Ireland to identify as Northern Irish. I have no problem with that. My issue then becomes that the IFA do not afford the same respect to nationalists (or in fact those of any persuasion) who chooses not to identify as Northern Irish but to identify as Irish and not only that but the IFA is prepared to actively prevent them identifying as Irish either by taking them to court or by arranging a de facto ban on them playing underage football for their country. If nothing else the hypocrisy in that is galling.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner