Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden1

QuoteThey have a bit to go yet, but already they are starting to look like the great Down forward line of 1991/'94, or the Tyrone front six of 2005. Most importantly, they are brilliant to watch, and when a team play the right way, they become a shared journey for the players, supporters and neutrals. As distinct from the farce created by Jimmy's massed defence.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/joe-brolly-jim-mcguinness-barcelona-368505

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/brolly-warns-of-donegal-shock-205341.html
There are no proofs, only opinions.

LeoMc

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 26, 2018, 10:31:02 PM
QuoteThey have a bit to go yet, but already they are starting to look like the great Down forward line of 1991/'94, or the Tyrone front six of 2005. Most importantly, they are brilliant to watch, and when a team play the right way, they become a shared journey for the players, supporters and neutrals. As distinct from the farce created by Jimmy's massed defence.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/joe-brolly-jim-mcguinness-barcelona-368505

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/brolly-warns-of-donegal-shock-205341.html

Shock as Joe Brolly articulates populist BS.

sid waddell

Quote from: yellowcard on August 26, 2018, 07:36:19 PM
Thought McGuinness article was completely bizarre and gave an insight into the negativity of his mindset. It was a depressing read but the sad reality is that there are a whole cavalcade among the coaching fraternity, many of whom have aped his original game plan, who will think of it as genius.

McGuinness was at least original and tactically identified how an entirely different approach could be successfully deployed. The problem now is with the rules which facilitate and reward such a negative, fearful and defensive mindset. The GAA need to act urgently this winter to redress the balance but I'm not completely hopeful that they will. If history is anything to go by they will tweak the rules when reform is what is required. Let's just hope that any of these text book coaches who are well practiced in self preservation are not part of any group charged with looking at ways to improve the spectacle.
As an analysis piece, McGuinness's latest article was superb.

Still, if people prefer shit yarns about donkeys playing for Juventus to actual proper analysis, that's their choice.

RedHand88

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 26, 2018, 07:22:40 PM
Joe takes aim at McGuinness......

https://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/joe-brolly/joe-brolly-jim-mcguinness-advocates-a-defensive-strategy-that-would-bore-us-to-death-37252109.html

His stats in the third paragraph are irrelevant.

Newsflash Joe. There are more people in mayo than monaghan. Of course the viewing numbers would be down.

redhandefender

More brollt nonsense. He's tore into harte and how Tyrone play some times in a manner thats been in bad taste.

Fact is hartes plan has worked. If Tyrone get beat which is very likely he will jump on the chance to blame hartes style. That's a very easy position to take with low risk from his point of view. Coward

yellowcard

Quote from: sid waddell on August 26, 2018, 11:06:51 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 26, 2018, 07:36:19 PM
Thought McGuinness article was completely bizarre and gave an insight into the negativity of his mindset. It was a depressing read but the sad reality is that there are a whole cavalcade among the coaching fraternity, many of whom have aped his original game plan, who will think of it as genius.

McGuinness was at least original and tactically identified how an entirely different approach could be successfully deployed. The problem now is with the rules which facilitate and reward such a negative, fearful and defensive mindset. The GAA need to act urgently this winter to redress the balance but I'm not completely hopeful that they will. If history is anything to go by they will tweak the rules when reform is what is required. Let's just hope that any of these text book coaches who are well practiced in self preservation are not part of any group charged with looking at ways to improve the spectacle.
As an analysis piece, McGuinness's latest article was superb.

Still, if people prefer shit yarns about donkeys playing for Juventus to actual proper analysis, that's their choice.

I mightn't like the road that Jim McGuinness took gaelic football down but I admired his cajones and absolute conviction to advocate a plan consisting of the entire team camped inside their own 50 metre line. And I have absolutely no doubt that this is something that McGuinness would implement for the final now if he were in charge of Tyrone. The point is that he doesn't care two hoots about the spectacle or the aesthetics of the game. His argument is 'do whatever it takes to win no matter how ugly and no matter what flak you receive'. I admire his brazenness to an extent.

However as spectators the reason we watch sport is to be entertained. I find all of these tactical analysis pieces very tedious and boring to listen to. That piece of McGuinness' was extremely tedious and boring but I did read it because he does have a lot of original thought and is clearly a smart man. Most tactical analaysis by it's very definition is very boring and I see more and more of these type of columns where so called 'super coaches' give their tactical breakdown on gaelic football. Some of it is mind numbingly boring and of interest mostly to tactical anoraks.

I have never before been so blase about watching an All Ireland final as this one. Maybe we will be surprised and it will be a classic but I very much doubt it.         

Wildweasel74

Blaming Dublin for holding onto the ball cause the other team camped in their own half! Yip they to blame for football on ills and not the defensive teams they have to play against!

Taylor

Regardless of your thoughts on Brolly there is no denying McGuinness is as hypocritical as they come.

He patented this tactic of the shite blanket defence.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Taylor on August 27, 2018, 11:39:25 AM
Regardless of your thoughts on Brolly there is no denying McGuinness is as hypocritical as they come.

How is he hypocritical? If anything he is doubling down on his blanket defence tactics.
That was never a square ball!!

Taylor

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 27, 2018, 12:16:32 PM
Quote from: Taylor on August 27, 2018, 11:39:25 AM

How is he hypocritical? If anything he is doubling down on his blanket defence tactics.

He is blaming Dublin for doing nothing with the ball when in fact it is his fault the blanket defence has permeated all levels of the game and make viewing almost impossible

The Trap

If your club needed a manager and you had a choice between Brolly or McGuinness who would you choose?

BennyCake

Don't understand the AttRaction of mma. You may as well watch two gypos fighting in a car park.

joemamas

Agree 100% , hard to believe it is becoming mainstream.
I refuse to watch it .

screenexile

Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2018, 06:19:55 PM
Don't understand the AttRaction of mma. You may as well watch two gypos fighting in a car park.

But if you do come across a couple of lads digging in a car park you'll watch it!!

I've no great love for McGregor or the sport at all so happy enough for Joe to get stuck into them.