Tom Parsons

Started by Jinxy, May 31, 2018, 09:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Great interview with Tom on Off The Ball yesterday evening.
Fantastic attitude to the road ahead of him as he recovers from quite possibly the worst injury I've seen on a football field.
One of life's good guys and I wish him all the best.

http://www.offtheball.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/62290/Tom_Parsons_on_injury_recovery_and_the_road_back
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Amazing positivity. Joe Molloy is a superb interviewer. A career in the BBC beckons.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Yeah, Joe Molloy is really good.
I only really listen to OTB when he's on, as I find the rest of them a bit annoying tbh.
The paper reviews on a Sunday are excellent when he does them too.
He's clearly in love with Tommy Walsh as well, and who can blame him?  ;D

https://twitter.com/MolloyJoe/status/995753041881071618

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on May 31, 2018, 10:30:06 AM
Yeah, Joe Molloy is really good.
I only really listen to OTB when he's on, as I find the rest of them a bit annoying tbh.
The paper reviews on a Sunday are excellent when he does them too.
He's clearly in love with Tommy Walsh as well, and who can blame him?  ;D

https://twitter.com/MolloyJoe/status/995753041881071618

Yea big drop in interview quality when he's not doing it. Eoin Sheehan is a good sidekick to him, the right level of smug sardonic yerra.

Walsh is infectious, would give him the Kildare football job. Lads would definitely becoming home on their shields for him.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Not sure if it's available to be found anywhere online, but Tommy went to Electric Picnic for the first time last year, before heading to Dublin to cover the hurling final.
His review of S-Club 7 nearly had me in tears.
There's a kind of innocence about him, but he's just such a genuine fella with no airs & graces.
You'd nearly forget what an outrageously talented hurler he was.
That's the Kilkenny way I suppose.

Jinxy

Tom Parsons reveals extent of 'excruciating' injury

"I've ruptured three of the four ligaments and I've torn the fourth. There are tears to the calf and hamstring as well and knee is fully dislocated.

"The pain was something that I just can't get my head around. Now I understand what 10 is, this was just excruciating. The pain was short term, it was temporary."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0531/967256-tom-parsons-reveals-extent-of-excruciating-injury/

Dinny Breen

They were talking about Hurler/Football of the year on OTB this morning with Gooch and James O'Donoghue and played a clip of Austin Gleeson talking about how it affected him the following season. They referenced Kilkenny though and their attitude to "Hurler of the Year", basically they would use to take the piss out of each other, all they cared about was the team and each other, no place for individual awards. So yea humility and selflessness is definitely the Kilkenny way, you see with Dublin as well to an extent but with Dublin it just seems more manufactured.

Anyway OTB putting RTE to shame with their GAA coverage and players are definitely responding going by the length and number of interviews. Cian Lynch Limerick hurler was excellent yesterday, wouldn't get the time of day with RTE.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Used to be a fan of OTB but they've went too far with sticking the boot into Ulster Rugby IMO

Maroon Manc

OTB's coverage of the GAA has been outstanding in recent weeks. As for Parsons he came across very well and wish him all the best in his recovery.

Its going to take a huge show of mental strength for Parsons to get back in the Mayo jersey.

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 31, 2018, 11:23:07 AM

Anyway OTB putting RTE to shame with their GAA coverage and players are definitely responding going by the length and number of interviews. Cian Lynch Limerick hurler was excellent yesterday, wouldn't get the time of day with RTE.

Awful pity they lost the radio rights.
You'd find yourself paying way more attention to the less sexy games purely because their coverage was so good.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 31, 2018, 11:57:51 AM
Used to be a fan of OTB but they've went too far with sticking the boot into Ulster Rugby IMO

Yea they over stepped the mark between sporting commentary and societal commentary particularly when they had that clown Paul Rouse talking about Rory Best.

Molloy though never offers his opinion, Gilroy and McIntyre though, pair of hyperbolic tits.
#newbridgeornowhere

Cunny Funt

Great attitude to have but lets be honest at the age of 30 now its hard to see Parsons back playing for Mayo again with such a horrific injury but i wish him well and hope he does return.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 31, 2018, 12:28:02 PM

Yea they over stepped the mark between sporting commentary and societal commentary particularly when they had that clown Paul Rouse talking about Rory Best.

Molloy though never offers his opinion, Gilroy and McIntyre though, pair of hyperbolic tits.

100% Dinny. Gilroy very cringy at the min with the whole Careberry issue

Jinxy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 31, 2018, 12:01:52 PM
OTB's coverage of the GAA has been outstanding in recent weeks. As for Parsons he came across very well and wish him all the best in his recovery.

Its going to take a huge show of mental strength for Parsons to get back in the Mayo jersey.

The strange thing is, if you practically snapped your tib/fib in half, you'd still be back much quicker from that injury than Tom is likely to be from his injury.
His knee joint basically completely rearranged itself.

galwayman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 31, 2018, 12:49:34 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 31, 2018, 12:28:02 PM

100% Dinny. Gilroy very cringy at the min with the whole Careberry issue
Molloy is the best sports broadcaster around imo.
McIntyre comes across as a know-it-all p***k to me.
Irritating in the extreme.