Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Leather jackets!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trueblue1234

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 21, 2020, 03:18:38 PM
Quote from: general on April 21, 2020, 02:26:20 PM
also in this predicament.

the front of the house is growing well in places, poor in others, im in the house 4 1/2 years now.

id imagine ive spent in the region of 500 quid on feeds, seeds etc.

these contractors throw the unwanted materials in and 3 inches of poor quality top soil on top, then seed it. cheap as possible.

ive been toying with the idea of a couple of loads of top soil and barrowing it to the back of my house. serious work involved however I think its the only option at this stage. something seriously wrong if grass refuses to grow
Wasting time feeding it as it can't grow in poor soil. It's like painting over a damp patch. The rushes etc. are a result of poor drainage so I'd say all the reasons you have cited re. fill etc. are correct. Contractors are c***ts for this, people are paying for the house inc. site, not just the 4 walls and a roof.

I don't see how you resolve it without a mini-digger and a trailer to get the area properly drained and then put at least a foot of topsoil on it and re-seed.

My lawn is similar but it's on clay soil so there are parts where the water just lies after heavy rain. I'm getting a fella to do some fencing and when he has his digger out I'm going to get him to dig some sort of drainage into the lawn then fill it with clean stones and cover with a bit of soil and re-seed. It's a bollox!

Lawn needs very little depth to grow to be fair. But quality of the soil might be a bigger issues. Check for Leather jackets as as well if your suffering bad growth in patches!! Humpy little feckers!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 21, 2020, 03:29:44 PM

the front of the house is growing well in places, poor in others, im in the house 4 1/2 years now.

these contractors throw the unwanted materials in and 3 inches of poor quality top soil on top, then seed it. cheap as possible.

ive been toying with the idea of a couple of loads of top soil and barrowing it to the back of my house. serious work involved however I think its the only option at this stage. something seriously wrong if grass refuses to grow
Wasting time feeding it as it can't grow in poor soil. It's like painting over a damp patch. The rushes etc. are a result of poor drainage so I'd say all the reasons you have cited re. fill etc. are correct. Contractors are c***ts for this, people are paying for the house inc. site, not just the 4 walls and a roof.

I don't see how you resolve it without a mini-digger and a trailer to get the area properly drained and then put at least a foot of topsoil on it and re-seed.

My lawn is similar but it's on clay soil so there are parts where the water just lies after heavy rain. I'm getting a fella to do some fencing and when he has his digger out I'm going to get him to dig some sort of drainage into the lawn then fill it with clean stones and cover with a bit of soil and re-seed. It's a bollox!

Lawn needs very little depth to grow to be fair. But quality of the soil might be a bigger issues. Check for Leather jackets as as well if your suffering bad growth in patches!! Humpy little feckers!!

Ive one spot in the garden which is a water pit, its getting stoned and paved as soon as lockdown is over! Fed up after 16 years
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2020, 03:31:03 PM

Ive one spot in the garden which is a water pit, its getting stoned and paved as soon as lockdown is over! Fed up after 16 years

How big is the spot? Have you tried a Soak away?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 21, 2020, 03:45:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2020, 03:31:03 PM

How big is the spot? Have you tried a Soak away?

Its at the side where there is no sun up against the fence and its always given me hassle, dug it up years ago, stoned it and whatever else I cant remember was fine for 2 years then it just turned into a bog, in fairness its not that big
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TabClear

Quote from: bigfrank on April 21, 2020, 02:35:45 PM
Yes much more effort put into front of house by contractor as it's on show and in my case attached to another house,back garden I have filled buckets of stones off it around the fence edge,also tried to make holes in garden before I threw down garden seed and every time I drove fork in it seemed to hit something hard.

Cut the small rush clumps out at the stump one day,tried to get root and all and filled hole with top soil taken from a site my brother is building on. Seeds haven't really done anything yet a week later,possibly crap quality or need more time. Few handfuls of fertiliser help??

Some fert will make a big difference but I would say the lack of rain over the last few weeks has not helped. Get the hose on it for a while would help a lot.

bigfrank

Got a bucket of fertiliser off my father in law earlier,gonna sew it out 2Moro by hand as don't have a spreader,should be ok if I scatter equally right?? Should I soak the lawn first,always thought farmers wanted rain before they put it on fields. Then continue to water few times 2Moro and each day then??

It's not overly long but maybe should cut it first,maybe rake away moss and loose stones etc,spend hour or two doing some prep.

general

Whats the smallest quantity of fertilizer that can be bought? thought about this myself but would it ruin the garden all together? Asked a local farmer not so long ago and he more or less told me to F&%k off

bigfrank

Really not sure but her dad is into the farming and had a ton bag in the shed so I just filled a bucket,will rob another bucket if need be lol. Everyone online is saying to buy a spreader etc but it's a small area,think il chance by hand or maybe try make some kinda device to spread it.

Will try keep lawn watered for the next while,might do prep work like I said before,maybe use pitch fork break up the ground a bit to allow fertiliser to penetrate the soil,I know nothing about gardening but I'm one of them pricks that will try anything once lol

thewobbler

I'm definitely not an expert by any stretch.

But it you're looking to turn a mishmash of everything into a lawn, instead of hoping fertiliser only helps the things you want, and everything else gets weaker,  I'd start by killing everything, literally everything, then turning, and raking the soil, and planting lawn seed only.

johnnycool

Quote from: general on April 21, 2020, 10:00:58 PM
Whats the smallest quantity of fertilizer that can be bought? thought about this myself but would it ruin the garden all together? Asked a local farmer not so long ago and he more or less told me to F&%k off

Get a hep bag of cow/horse dung, fill a barrel of water and let the bag of dung soak in it.

After a day or so the water in that barrel will be better than any fertilizer.

You lads with the wet patches, when you stone it, where is the water meant to go to?

you might need a bit of drainage pipe and then stones to allow the water away (into a neighbours garden  ;D  )

LeoMc

Quote from: johnnycool on April 22, 2020, 09:41:30 AM
Quote from: general on April 21, 2020, 10:00:58 PM

Get a hep bag of cow/horse dung, fill a barrel of water and let the bag of dung soak in it.

After a day or so the water in that barrel will be better than any fertilizer.

You lads with the wet patches, when you stone it, where is the water meant to go to?

you might need a bit of drainage pipe and then stones to allow the water away (into a neighbours garden  ;D  )
Nettles in the barrel / bucket of water is another great job for good lawn / plant food.

Aristo 60

Might have to try this.

I bought a spreader and bags of fertilizer weeks ago. Spreader was a complicated tool to assemble but I needn't have bothered as the fertilizer still hasn't arrived..

bigfrank

Quote from: Aristo 60 on April 22, 2020, 11:26:52 AM
Might have to try this.

I bought a spreader and bags of fertilizer weeks ago. Spreader was a complicated tool to assemble but I needn't have bothered as the fertilizer still hasn't arrived..

You will take handy money for that spreader then lol I'm out all morning at my lawn messing about with it,pulling weeds,raking moss,lifting stones.might get more top soil from my brothers site and fill in few low spots around posts etc gonna give it a cut then and strim after my 1.00pm tea break and water it,maybe chance the fertiliser by hand 2moro or go get miracle grow/lawn seed

redzone

If you are near a farmers field go and lift a few cow claps with shovel(they will be hardened up with the sun so easy lifted). Break them up and scatter them round the lawn. Use a rake every few days to pull the manue into a new spot. Works a treat 👌