The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

An Italian/Romanian/Georgia select team would probably be strong enough but more than likely a non runner? Be interesting though

seafoid

Georgia are currently ranked 12th, Italy 15th and Romania 18th

https://www.world.rugby/tournaments/rankings/mru#

Italy have been in a slump for a while.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Italy are an embarrassment and really should be told to get their house in order or expect to be asked to leave. They offer nothing. They never even create an upset.

oakleaflad

Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2021, 08:31:34 AM
Georgia are currently ranked 12th, Italy 15th and Romania 18th

https://www.world.rugby/tournaments/rankings/mru#

Italy have been in a slump for a while.
This is a result of Italy losing as they regularly play better opposition and Georgia generally beating the lesser nations, although Romania did catch them relatively recently from memory. Georgia have never beaten Italy. Replacing Italy with Georgia in the 6 Nations in a straight swap would only make things worse as Georgia wouldn't have the same depth as Italy. Results against similarly ranked nations such as Fiji or Japan have also shown in Italy's favor.

The problem is the other 5 Nations are well ahead of both. The likes of Georgia and Italy need to be playing each other and similarly ranked teams more instead of either taking hidings off the Tier 1 nations or beating all the Tier 2 nations. They're in limbo at the moment.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on March 23, 2021, 09:46:33 AM
Italy are an embarrassment and really should be told to get their house in order or expect to be asked to leave. They offer nothing. They never even create an upset.
Italy should be supported by the other 5. Transfer developing players. And/or experienced players 2 or 3 years off retirement.
A stronger italy would make  the competition more attractive and attract local players to the game.
Where did they get Sergio Parisse from ?

dublin7

Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2021, 10:19:09 AM
Italy should be supported by the other 5. Transfer developing players. And/or experienced players 2 or 3 years off retirement.
A stronger italy would make  the competition more attractive and attract local players to the game.

Parisse's parents are Italian

seafoid

Quote from: dublin7 on March 23, 2021, 11:04:27 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2021, 10:19:09 AM

Parisse's parents are Italian
GRMA

There are loads of Italians in Argentina. Could they not find players there?

tiempo

Quote from: An Watcher on March 22, 2021, 10:52:35 PM
An Italian/Romanian/Georgia select team would probably be strong enough but more than likely a non runner? Be interesting though

Rugby truely is shite but yes this could be worth a shot, what have they got to lose

What would they be called? In keeping with the LIONS fad, maybe the Mediterranean Greco's?

Applesisapples

the Lions is like the Ryder Cup of little interest to me. It seems to be a player's thing.

podge

I see your man Ellis Genge has not been cited for the elbowing of Sexton when he was on the ground. I know I am looking through green tinted glasses but how does Aki walk away with a 4 match ban for a genuine tackle attempt versus this Genge chap getting away with it.

Gmac

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 23, 2021, 03:06:10 PM
the Lions is like the Ryder Cup of little interest to me. It seems to be a player's thing.
how many Irish will get the call ?

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Gmac on March 24, 2021, 12:07:45 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 23, 2021, 03:06:10 PM
how many Irish will get the call ?

probably just mcilroy and lowry,

gmac is not in great form  ;)

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2021/03/23/just-one-england-player-makes-british-irish-lions-test-xv/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
Just one England player makes my British and Irish Lions Test XV - and it is not Maro Itoje

3. Tadhg Furlong (Ireland)
Cracking options across all four home nations but Furlong was and is a titan. Ignore the showstopping sidesteps, your tighthead is in for one job especially against the South Africans - do not yield. Furlong will not yield.
5. Iain Henderson (Ireland)
What a championship he has had. He is a huge bloke, who does everything. Maul defence, choke tackles, set piece, breakdown work. And he can really play. Of course, you must match South Africa physically, but you must play, and you must handle. I want eight big lumps in my pack, but I want them all comfortable on the ball. Hendy was brutal and subtle every time he played.
6. Tadhg Beirne (Ireland)
More supermen to choose from. But how do you leave this fella out? You cannot. Huge engine. When England looked to launch a counteroffensive his hands in and around contact were sensational, his breakdown work won a key penalty, and he wins at least one every Test match. He's also a handy lineout option
9. Conor Murray (Ireland)
The pressure was applied by a couple of Welshmen and an Englishman. Tomos Williams missing some games through injury has just dropped him into second place. I love watching Gareth Davies. He makes things happen. Danny Care is in the form of his life away from the spotlight. There is no doubt I have tried to not let my long-held admiration for Murray swing it but when he plays like he did at the weekend you see and have no doubt that if it was a Lions Test he would be able to immediately repeat. The exits from their own half did not allow England, with at least one charge down a game, to get anywhere near him or his secondary kickers. Total control.
10. Johnny Sexton (Ireland)
I know my Scottish friends will be screaming at me. But I could not go for the mercurial Finn Russell. I try to pick people for what they can do rather than for what they cannot but with Russell there is just a fear the rabbits out of the hat might just come back to bite. I cannot see how you can pick the English lads in Eddie's squad. Dan Biggar is the 10 quietly going about his business. Biggar would not let you down in a Lions Test match. Not a chance. But I must pick Sexton. Control, goalkicking, temperament, toughness and leadership.
12. Robbie Henshaw (Ireland)
The best centre of the Championship. Judged purely on the last two months there is no debate. Gatland may look further back and may look for a second playmaker role but Henshaw as a centre has been monstrous for Ireland. I thought Sam Johnson has been top notch when he has played for Scotland. Jonathan Davies was bang on at 12 in Paris on Saturday night. But Henshaw has hardly put a foot wrong. High balls, defending, scoring tries, winning turnovers and dominating gain lines.

the one English player is Tom Curry

GetOverTheBar

Duno about only one English player....Jonny May must be a lock for one of the starting winger spots. The Welsh boys will put him under pressure maybe. Stockdale is nowhere near that level right now. Jamie George will probably start at 2 also. Gatland knows and trusts him. Farrell will certainly be there also on same basis.

Would have Beirne much higher up the food chain than Henderson right now, I would be surprised if Henderson gets the call up at all to be honest. 

Hard to argue with the selections at 10, anyone going for Russell, Sexton or Biggar has their point. Probably I would lean towards Biggar personally. The South Africans will most certainly get 'physical'. Russell is probably the best player, but there is a question of trust there. You never know what he could do.

mouview

Think our half-back pairing are being picked on very current form, Murray particularly, that may not endure until next summer. If they weren't good enough in the last WC, it's unlikely they'll be any better against the world champions.