The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: screenexile on February 26, 2020, 09:28:28 AM
Quote from: mouview on February 26, 2020, 09:26:41 AM
Quote from: Taylor on February 26, 2020, 08:59:11 AM
So we are still letting flights land from affected regions but are recommending calling of the game.

We really are a bunch of imbeciles in this country sometimes  :o

I'd say commercial and air travel is of a higher priority than a glorified challenge match somehow.

I think the point is why call off the match if you're still going to let a few thousand Italians into the country that weekend anyway??!!

And anyway isn't all sport just a glorified challenge match??

If the match is called off, then there be would be no or much less reason for Italians to travel to the country. Quite a few sporting events in Italy have been cancelled and a number of Serie A matches are being played behind closed doors. In this light, it would look rather strange for the rugby match not to be (potentially) affected.

I don't think the powers-that-be would make such a decision lightly or without taking on board good advice. We're not as imbecilic in this country as you think.

screenexile

Quote from: mouview on February 26, 2020, 12:04:32 PM
So we are still letting flights land from affected regions but are recommending calling of the game.

I'd say commercial and air travel is of a higher priority than a glorified challenge match somehow.

I think the point is why call off the match if you're still going to let a few thousand Italians into the country that weekend anyway??!!

If the match is called off, then there be would be no or much less reason for Italians to travel to the country. Quite a few sporting events in Italy have been cancelled and a number of Serie A matches are being played behind closed doors. In this light, it would look rather strange for the rugby match not to be (potentially) affected.

I don't think the powers-that-be would make such a decision lightly or without taking on board good advice. We're not as imbecilic in this country as you think.

If I've booked to go somewhere foreign along with hotels and the event I planned on seeing is called off you can bet I'm still going!!

Taylor

Quote from: mouview on February 26, 2020, 12:04:32 PM

So you think fans wouldnt travel if there is no game?
Considering they have already paid their air fare and accommodation.

Not to mention the umpteen flights arriving from the affected areas on a daily basis and the people going about their business to different parts of this country.

I cant see the benefit in calling of the game without taking other precautions

weareros

Has to be called off. Everything might have been fine, but if one case was introduced to the country because of the game, then it would go down as one of the biggest disregards for public safety in the history of the state. The virus will come anyway; but that's no reason to go out of our way to speed up the chances.

GetOverTheBar

Confirmed cancelled now - RTE

toby47

Game off & rest of the tournament in doubt

macdanger2

From rte.ie
QuoteAnd while Johnny Sexton quipped that he would have preferred to play the game behind closed doors that option was not viable due to medical considerations.

What would be the medical considerations around playing behind closed doors?

Capt Pat

Wouldn't it have made more sense to play the game behind closed doors and stop the fans travelling than to stop the game and allow the fans to travel.

Capt Pat

The French grand slam dream is over. Ireland to get the backlash in Paris.

Nanderson

When the IRB call Italy's 2 remaining games as draws then a bonus point win for Ireland next week would secure the 6 nations

rodney trotter

France v Ireland off due to the the coronavirus

Estimator

Looks like all the final weekend fixtures are now off
Ulster League Champions 2009

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 09, 2020, 10:38:01 AM

So why play yesterdays games? Is Ireland taking that measure? Or is it from the association ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 09, 2020, 12:48:24 PM

So why play yesterdays games? Is Ireland taking that measure? Or is it from the association ?
France have banned all gatherings over 1000 people.

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 09, 2020, 01:10:50 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 09, 2020, 12:48:24 PM

France have banned all gatherings over 1000 people.
senior hurling
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU