The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Agree with Walter on the above. McFadden on the bench? What impact does he offer?? Nowhere near international standard in my opinion. I'm a Madigan fan but surely Jackson is worth a look at some stage. Disappointed if that is the line up which I'm sure it will be.

screenexile

We've had a disastrous 6 Nations so far should we not just throw the ageing team out the window and let the young lads get a chance in a proper test match to build properly for 4 years time?!

We should have been seeing McCloskey, Jackson, Ringrose, McGrath, Dillane, Gilroy, Olding feature in these last 2 games along with Payne at Full Back because it looks at this stage as if Kearney is not adding what he should from there.

We'll probably win but I just think we're passing up a real opportunity to start to build something for the World Cup!

Walter Cronc

People have often cited the 6 nations is not really the environment to blood players well if that's the case then the summer tour to South Africa certainly isn't!! Argentina blooded young players in the Rugby Championship in hostile environments like Dunedin and Cape Town. Their reward was a team peaking for the RWC.

I've backed Schmidt to the hilt but I'm utterly disappointed in this selection!

johnneycool

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 10, 2016, 02:29:51 PM
People have often cited the 6 nations is not really the environment to blood players well if that's the case then the summer tour to South Africa certainly isn't!! Argentina blooded young players in the Rugby Championship in hostile environments like Dunedin and Cape Town. Their reward was a team peaking for the RWC.

I've backed Schmidt to the hilt but I'm utterly disappointed in this selection!

I know there's ranking points or whatever at stake, but I'm in agreement, might as well throw in the young lads and blood them now. They've 4 years to bed in and get going at international rugby,  and its not as if the current incumbents are taring the place up!
Opportunity lost.

square_ball

If you can't blood youngsters against Italy and Scotland in 2 dead rubber matches then when else will you get the opportunity? Even the likes of Trimble in my opinion has had his day and should be looking to the future with the likes of Gilroy. McFadden!! Seriously??

Jeremiah O

How much do they charge for 6 nations tickets now?
Been ages since I was at one.
Unconquered and unconquerable

Onthe40

the selection debate was covered in "against the head" on mon nite with Eddie OSullivan saying Schmidts hand could be forced by the IRFU in having to field as strong as possible to guarantee 2 wins and x million euro to the IRFU.....

mouview

Turkey shoot, could end up anything here. Eyeties awful.

Aaron Boone

Declan

Pretty poor game. We even make Italy look good with ball in hand

TabClear

Heaslip try just before half time was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Declan on March 12, 2016, 03:15:23 PM
Pretty poor game. We even make Italy look good with ball in hand

::)

Hound

that was some ridiculous decision by Keyes to give his mate Ryan the Man of the Match award!
Ryan had a fine game, but doubtful he was in the best 5 Irishmen on the field. Farce

That Itoje looks like he's going to be some player for England.
wales were super in the last 10 minutes after been dominated for the rest of the game. Linesman a bit hasty with his flag at the end. If he'd given the benefit of the doubt to North, it would have been a very interesting finish

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hound on March 12, 2016, 10:19:50 PM
that was some ridiculous decision by Keyes to give his mate Ryan the Man of the Match award!
Ryan had a fine game, but doubtful he was in the best 5 Irishmen on the field. Farce

That Itoje looks like he's going to be some player for England.
wales were super in the last 10 minutes after been dominated for the rest of the game. Linesman a bit hasty with his flag at the end. If he'd given the benefit of the doubt to North, it would have been a very interesting finish
Itoje looks like the full package alright. Class finish to the England Wales match. Would have been some kick in the balls if Wales for the last try.

Walter Cronc

Despite Italy being woeful there were plenty of positives from Saturday. Zebo may have his flaws defensively but he adds real zip and creativity to the backline. I'd like to see him start against Scotland.

Its going to be a real hum-dinger on Saturday I think. Scotland will be coming full of confidence but I think if we can improve yet again we'll have too much for them.