McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

I think Harte is being a bit of an asshole about this and he could put the competition as it is into doubt.
He probably has the greatest pool of players to choose from, even with injuries, of any manager in the province or further afield, yet it's only him who sees fit to do this.
UUJ in real trouble now without Boggs, Cavanagh and McCaul. Peter Donnelly broke his hand last week and Finnian Morriarty tore his hamstring this week. Moran and UUJ must be fuming with Harte.
Other managers who have left their players to the devices of the colleges will also not be too impressed.

Orior

Altogether now "Harte - nooooooooooo!"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Cloc Mor

On the news tonight that Kavanagh was definately playing with Tyrone in the Mc Kenna Cup.  Said the other two were undecided.  I'm sure this won't go down too well with his Poly teammates.  Harte has put him in this position by naming him - what does he hope to achieve?

ONeill

I'm 100% with Mickey on this one. His job is to compile a Sam Maguire winning squad. What Universities do is of no interest to him, especially now that's he's a Dr. himself!  He's not calling players away from the Sigerson event itself. Thses are just warm-up games for the unis. The McKenna Cup is possibily the only time he'll get to see some of these players before the NFL starts.

And it's Cavanagh. Kavanagh's a Rebel.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Cloc Mor

The arrangement put in place was that the universities would have first call on the players.  You mean to tell me he needs these three players more than their universities need them.  He is making the lads choose which just isn't fair.  Other managers could have done likewise and called players into their squads but resisted this.  These lads have to live with the call they make and this will not be easy within a tight squad like the Poly.  Harte was involved with St. Mary's for long enough to realise the importance of Sigerson football which THEY are preparing for.  Bad move

ONeill

Mickey Harte is manager of the Tyrone senior football team. His aim is to win the All-Ireland title. What Universities do for three Sundays in January is of no interest to him. If Cavanagh or anyone else decides he'd rather throw his hand in with the county on those Sundays and risk alienation from the Unis that's up to them. However, i'd doubt very much they'll be dropped for Sigerson duty (Queens & UUJ play their first game on Feb 14st)

Cloc Mor

The participation of the Universities have helped rejuvenate this previously ailing competition.  The players should be made play for their first allegiance which in this case is their university.  The All Ireland may not be won during these early months of the year but the Sigerson is.

ONeill

If Mickey Harte made one error last year, it was playing close to his first team during the McKenna Cup. When injuries to these key players started to occur during the NFL, fringe players did not have the experience to count when the white heat set in during the summer. So yes, what happens in January/Feb has some part to play when it comes to knowing what players can be called upon when needed.

When Tyrone play Dublin in front of 50'000 plus on February 3rd, without Dooher, McGuigan et al, the Red Hands need to be ready - not throwing in uni players who haven't pulled on a Tyrone geansai this year. If Kernan, Crozier, Gormley don't see it that way, fair play to them.

Norf Tyrone

QuoteMickey Harte is manager of the Tyrone senior football team. His aim is to win the All-Ireland title. What Universities do for three Sundays in January is of no interest to him. If Cavanagh or anyone else decides he'd rather throw his hand in with the county on those Sundays and risk alienation from the Unis that's up to them. However, i'd doubt very much they'll be dropped for Sigerson duty (Queens & UUJ play their first game on Feb 14st)

O'Neill what will Mickey learn from beating a understrength university side by 15-20 points. The aim at this stage of the year is to give his players competitive football. If every County manager shared his philosophy, the competition would fall apart.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ONeill

Tyrone play Derry and Cavan in the group stage as well.

As for this crap about the Unis breathing fresh air into the comp, lets look at some of last year's scorelines:

Derry 2-14 Queens 0-5
Tyrone 4-9 St Marys 1-9
Down 6-10 St Mary's 0-6
Fermanagh 2-12 UUJ 0-10

Maybe they'll meet an off-form Cavan or Antrim and get a result but rose-tinted glasses are often used when assessing the unis in the McKenna.

bennydorano

Quote from: ONeill on January 03, 2007, 11:57:17 PM
Tyrone play Derry and Cavan in the group stage as well.

As for this crap about the Unis breathing fresh air into the comp, lets look at some of last year's scorelines:

Derry 2-14 Queens 0-5
Tyrone 4-9 St Marys 1-9
Down 6-10 St Mary's 0-6
Fermanagh 2-12 UUJ 0-10

Maybe they'll meet an off-form Cavan or Antrim and get a result but rose-tinted glasses are often used when assessing the unis in the McKenna.
And taking some of the Uni players is going to improve the standard of the competition? He's being a w**ker pure and simple.  Maybe the other managers will get together and offer him another McKenna Cup if he's that badly stuck for one.

onlyonefut

Irish News

Gaelic Games 
By Paddy Heaney 

Ulster Council secretary Danny Murphy has hinted that Tyrone could face disciplinary action if they refuse to comply with the rules of the Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup.

Under the rules of the competition, university teams are given first preference on players who are also eligible for county squads.

But Tyrone boss Mickey Harte is currently on a collision course with the provincial council. He has named Colm Cavanagh, Damian McCaul and Brendan Boggs in his McKenna Cup squad, even though they are wanted by UUJ as well.

Murphy has indicated that Tyrone could face some type of censure if these three players aren't released to their university.

"I don't want to speculate on what type of action could be taken. But competition regulations are there for people to comply with.

"The rules regarding students are part of the game regulations, so if someone doesn't comply with them, we will certainly have to have a look at it.

"Competitions rules are enforceable in just the same way as the rules of the official guide book,'' warned Murphy.

Tyrone are due to begin the defence of their McKenna Cup title on Sunday against Queen's in Omagh. Jordanstown will have their first outing on the same day against Donegal in Ballyshannon. UUJ boss Adrian McGuckin has all but resigned himself to the fact that he will be without Boggs, Cavanagh and McCaul.

"We were told to name 30 players for a panel before Christmas. We were led to believe that the county teams couldn't pick those players.

"When I went up to Jordanstown today, I learned that three of them had been picked for Tyrone. There is not a lot we can do about that.

"We can't control who the players want to play for. I can only assume that they will decide to play for Tyrone, but maybe that won't be the case,'' said McGuckin.

Uladh

Harte would want to cop himself on. what is being achieved by weakening what are already the weakest teams in the competition? Harte has set himself up in the media as this "holier than thou" gaa prophet and then pulls this type of crap.

The McKenna cup has been reinvigorated by the inclusion of the universities so where's the sense in marginailsing and weakening them?

Cloc Mor

QuoteTyrone play Derry and Cavan in the group stage as well.

Derry 2-14 Queens 0-5
Tyrone 4-9 St Marys 1-9
Down 6-10 St Mary's 0-6
Fermanagh 2-12 UUJ 0-10

O'Neill, how you explain the interest generated in the Mc Kenna Cup in the last few years.  The competition trundled on for years until the universities came on board to give it a lift.  Maybe you have another reason why the profile of the competition has been raised recently - I would like to hear it.

Also good to see that Harte may not get away with this stunt, according to IN.

Uladh

O'Neill conveniently selects scorelines which suit his drivel. for example, I remember the poly drawing with armagh in cross last year.

The competition suits everyone. it's an ideal platform for counties to get a look at players early season in a competitive environment and its perfectly timed for the unis to build towards sigerson.