No Games in Dec/Jan

Started by The Claw, December 19, 2006, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

Sorry if these mayhave been mentioned elsewhere but I heard a rumour that the GAA introduced a rule that there are to be no intercounty games played in December or January, can anyone confirm/dispel this?

BallyhaiseMan

Nah mate its a no intercounty games in November/December rule thats been brought in...No Problem playing in January.

The Claw

Pros - gives players a rest in the off season.
Protects them against an increased threat of injuries at that time.

Cons - Doesnt allow proper trial games.
THe U21 champ starts in early feb - surely they would want a few friendlies?

believebelive

There is no opportunity for inter county players to rest in the present GAA fixture calender. The only way to sort this out is heavily fine intercounty teams who collectivley meet to train during November and December - condensing the inter county season would also help. But the GAA wont do either because they will argue that the first option is too hard to enforce and the inter county season will never be condensed because it makes too much money. To condense it all first round games in provinces would have to be played  on the same sunday. This would reduce the gate reciepts. So instead  the GAA just continue to say they are interested in player welfare while in reality they continue to make their best amatuer players train 12 months of the year and as a result shorten their careers. The GPA of course also do not want the season shortened cos it takes away from their incesant insistence for grant aid.

magpie seanie

A good thing I reckon. The need for challenge games is one that should be examined. They are of limited worth in my view. Trial games can still proceed as training sessions.

LilyWhiteAllright

how are they gona find out whos playing and training? realisticly