Cost

Started by From the Bunker, December 16, 2006, 01:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

My point is that Gaa has tried to alienate other sports (Codes) that they have felt threatened by over the years, the ban etc. The comparisons above show that Rugby and Soccer never undermine each other, but Gaa always have a go! The argument is choice, without choice we lose all quality in all games! I'm sure that Damien Duffs, Roy Keanes, Ronan O'Garas or Brain O'Driscoll would not be above average at either football or Hurling. The question is do you have more pride in our National games than in our Nations achievments in all sports. Don't get me wrong i love the Gaa and it is number 1, but i also take great pride in Irish achievements in other sports that can come at a worthy cost to GAA. So don't be afraid to take that cost!

tayto

I take pride in our national teams, however i do take offence when soccer heads, plenty of whom can't stand the GAA, say they paid for half of Croke Park and have a 'right' to play there. Also there are plenty of soccer and rugby fans who havnt so much as a passing interest in GAA, many more who dismiss our national games as 'bogball' and 'sitckfighting' etc. Also plenty of soccer heads who couldnt give a damn about ronan o'gara or brian o driscoll, by the same tolken rugby types who don't care about damien duff.

It's their choice but if a GAA person dosent care about soccer they're deemed to be a bigot or feel threatened by this that and the other. The freedom to choose must also allow people to choose not be interested in something and below the national level i couldnt give a toss about either of the other sports. It does annoy me the attendtion some sports get which would seem to far outstrip the numbers turning up to watch, and the constant digs at the GAA over drink sponsorship when the other sports never get a mention, despite having much closer liks to drink companies, that's not feeling threatened that's just looking for fair treatment.

Turfsmoke

Sorry, but I just don't get this one.

How can you take pride in people who do what they do just because they're paid to do it?

Pride in Damian Duff ... Roy Keane ... Brian O'Driscoll ... why not add to that Micheal O Leary, Denis O Brien, Tony O Reilly? They meet the same criteria - Irish, successful, good at what they do, AND DOING IT BECAUSE THEY'RE PAID TO.

From the Bunker

Now Turfsmoke that is just stupid saying you can not get pride from professionals! I do understand where you are coming from. The Premiership is amass with overprofessionals and empty seats! Sadly in todays environment, the amateur ethos is seen by the educated(?) as being foolish. Gaelic football is for the young and care free anymore. No longer are there the Dinny Allens winning AI's at 38! You really are a seen as a fool today if you are 30 something and losing overtime for your own mortgage to finance the maintenance of Croke Park. Most of the inter-county players realise this and the GPA is the nearest (so far) the player can get so far to sorting it out. Todays Gaa player is part of a huge commercial wheel that sell Jerseys, Burgers, Beer, Newspapers (Local & National), Petrol, Corporate boxes, You name it! Playing for Pride is all well and good but along the way when you are standing in Croker and you look around you at a full house who have paid €65 a seat, you have to be thinking am i being taken for a complete ride!

theskull1

Sadly FtB there are people like you in todays enviroment who don't see that this is not the case in a huge majority of the playing population and who always slectively choose to focus on a minority held view to makes these points (which at county player level I do accept that some top flight individuals may share your views). But 99% of the playing population don't look at the GAA in those terms and it would be better for players who think negatively about what they get back from the GAA, to consider the fact that they are doing their bit just the same as everybody else. To cliam the GAA is simply a commercial operation is equivilent to saying the same about the catholic church is it not? Yes they both need money to run operations but it's not what they are about - no?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The Bottom Brick

Turfsmoke, can you take pride in your local parish football or hurling team?

Let's say they reach a county final and the trainer is getting 80 quid a night but doing a great job - do you have pride in the team now?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

dubnut

"You really are a seen as a fool today if you are 30 something and losing overtime for your own mortgage to finance the maintenance of Croke Park"

Speak for yourself FTB, I have nothing but respect for these men.

"Now Turfsmoke that is just stupid saying you can not get pride from professionals! I do understand where you are coming from"

If you understand why call him stupid?  ::)

"Playing for Pride is all well and good but along the way when you are standing in Croker and you look around you at a full house who have paid €65 a seat, you have to be thinking am i being taken for a complete ride!"

Yet they keep doing it because your views are different from theirs FTB.

I have more pride in the GAA players for sure, no question.
Not saying the pros dont make me proud every now and then, but no-where near the pride I feel when watching the Dubs run out in Croke park.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Turfsmoke on December 16, 2006, 08:35:37 PM
Sorry, but I just don't get this one.

How can you take pride in people who do what they do just because they're paid to do it?

Pride in Damian Duff ... Roy Keane ... Brian O'Driscoll ... why not add to that Micheal O Leary, Denis O Brien, Tony O Reilly? They meet the same criteria - Irish, successful, good at what they do, AND DOING IT BECAUSE THEY'RE PAID TO.

Do you lose pride in these Irish men because they are getting paid for it?

The fact that Shay Given, Roy Keane have made it to the top of their proffession & made money out of, should NOT be held against them!
If the GAA went proffesional would you lose respect for Paul McGrane, Dara O'Se or Henry Shefflin???

Yes the gain more respect from us because we know them, because we see the effort they put in & commitment they display for 'their club/counties', however they should not lose it if they make money off the back of it!

tayto

Also not many games are the tickets 65 notes. the last all ireland final i was at the tickets were 60. significantly less for other games.

i do find it funny that some people simply dont comprehend doing something for the love of the game. A sad reflection of the society we live in.

dubnut

"My point is that Gaa has tried to alienate other sports (Codes) that they have felt threatened by over the years, the ban etc. The comparisons above show that Rugby and Soccer never undermine each other, but Gaa always have a go!"

In fairness it was Steve Staunton having a go at the GAA last week for not letting them train in Croke park when the IRFU are preparing for the game.
To suggest the soccer crowd never have a go at the GAA is ridiculous. Steve Staunton still hasnt apologised to the GAA for this and I firmly believe he should.
This is the type of shite talk that makes people think the GAA are alienating other sports when they arent.
For Christ sake arent they giving the soccer and rugby a huge helping hand next year! When has the FAI or IRFU ever done anything like this for the GAA????
When have they done ANYTHING for the GAA.

"the ban etc" how does using THEIR stadium for THEIR sports only alienate people???
Another ridiculous point.

Recent talk by rubgy and soccer pundits re the GAA show that it is actually them who are threatened, otherwise why the ungraciousness?
This whole "about time we played in Croke park sure didnt we pay for half of it" tripe proves your original point incorrect, they never have a go at the GAA?
Bull shite.

Goats Do Shave

Quotei do find it funny that some people simply dont comprehend doing something for the love of the game. A sad reflection of the society we live in.

If you were offered money for playing gaelic football, darts, tiddlywinks....would you turn it down???

There are plenty of ametuer soccer players, rugby players etc who play their sports "for the love of the game".

Proffessional sports people should not be vilified simply because they are making money out of it!

tayto

I'm not saying they should be vilified, by the same tolken, GAA players shouldnt be called fools for doing what the do for the love of the game.

Dinny Breen

QuoteWhen have they done ANYTHING for the GAA.

Could prabably list loads of examples but the Kildare Senior Football team do their winter training at Cill Dara RFC's all-weather facilities. The rugby club are even allowing them put Gaelic Posts this year  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

Captain Scarlet

lads really and truly there is no harm getting pride from the professionals.

roy keane got paid yes but he was hardly in it for the money. he loved his club and gave it his all.

this is a messy aul thread it must be said.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

lynchbhoy

The GAA banned other sports - manely rugby and soccer as they were the sports of choice of the british army/invaders of Ireland/killers of Irish people etc and this ban was carried on until recently as we all know.
Certainly the GAA were also protecting their own sports from attrition.
However they realise that Gaelic games are getting ever more popular and can easily fend off the competition form rugby/soccer nowadays.
I would say that the soccer and rugby fraternity always snipe away at the GAA - esp the soccer crew , but it is most prob a jealousy thing.
Even now after eradicating the bans and opening up Croke Park, we still get the vitrol from soccer people and more hidden from the rugby camp.

There will always be people who like all sports and others who dislike all but their own.
If the FAI have any hatred, it should be for the gov who helped feck up plans for their own eircom park stadium a few years back.

Players play for the love of the game, because they enjoy it and only a few play it initially to make money.
GAA players play it as they just love doing so and even though it is a vocation of tremendous sacrifice these days, they wouldnt give it up.