County and club rivalries

Started by furboot, December 14, 2006, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furboot

Having revecently seen the Royal battle dvd and all the press coverage of that Meath V Dublin 1991 series of matches led me to thinking of what other great rivals have fought out great matches.
One I can remember is Cork v Tipp in 1984 Munster Final when Cork managed to snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat.Tipperary led by 4 points with 6 minutes to go before Cork rallied with Seanie O'Leary scoring a sensational goal and Cork won by a point.
And the same rivals served up another classic in 1991 - som say that was an even better game.
And then more recently football rivals Tyrone v Armagh in 2005 -  no room for the faint hearted.
Who can add to the rivals list? Kilkenny Wexford, Galway Mayo, Cork Kerry ???

Farrandeelin

Knockmore Ballina, Knockmore Crossmolina, Crossmolina Ballina. All great club rivalries in Mayo. There are probably other club rivalries in other parts of the county but I'd say these are the most intense as we all hate to lose to one another. Isn't that right Mayo4Sam, Stephenite and the Cross posters? But seriously, we all are one big happy family! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

furboot

yek I expect there's more rivalry at club level - the true parish v parish where pride and passion and revenge are emotions without equal  - Portumna v Loghrea a case in point ! I'm sure the Dublin clubs like Vincents, Na Fianna and Kilmacud Crokes must really love and respect each other !!

Dinny Breen

In Kildare the big rivals would be Round Towers v Ellistown, Moorefield v Sarsfields, Kilcullen v St Laurances and Allenwood v Carbury..The north Kildare clubs Maynooth, Leixlip, Celbridge all seem to have a loathing for each other as well..

Johnstownbridge and Carbury would have no love loss either, Lynchbhoy might be able to confirm but I think Declan Kerrigan left Carbury to join JTB, war quickly ensued....

On a county level, we've too many neighbours but Laois, Offaly, Meath and the Cheeky Dubs are generally not liked.....

#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

County  -Meath
Club - Seniors Skryne but underage - Ratoath

Marooned

You're right Farrandeelin.....massive rivalry between those three North Mayo Clubs......and three clubs of really high standard to boot. Adds that extra little bit of bite to Championship every year. Know after I've checked our own group out I always check the draw for the other two teams to see where we would possibly meet! Ah we love ye really :-* :-* :-* ;)

I'd say Garrymore, Davitts and Hollymount would have similar rivalry the other end of the county.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 14, 2006, 09:50:22 PM
Knockmore Ballina, Knockmore Crossmolina, Crossmolina Ballina. All great club rivalries in Mayo. There are probably other club rivalries in other parts of the county but I'd say these are the most intense as we all hate to lose to one another. Isn't that right Mayo4Sam, Stephenite and the Cross posters? But seriously, we all are one big happy family! :D

All the happier when we've beat them out the gate!
It has a lot to do with ballina being the main town in the area as well, we would all end up there a lot of nites, plenty of friendly rivalry
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Gnevin

Dublin V Kerry i know dublin have been off the boil now for a long long  :-[ time but how many people where dreaming of a Dublin V Kerry final this year before  that game
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Captain Scarlet

yea dinny kerrigan left carbury to join d bridge.
in the 80's the farell brothers played on either team and my uncles played for opposite sides.
when jtb started up carbury were very good so some players went to them even as bridge natives, opposite to declan.
jtb pitch is in carbury parish too and sons of players from both sides are playing against their da's old club now.
loads of relatives have also knocked lumps out iof each other in the name when yellow and blue played green, white and blue.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 15, 2006, 12:41:10 PM
yea dinny kerrigan left carbury to join d bridge.
in the 80's the farell brothers played on either team and my uncles played for opposite sides.
when jtb started up carbury were very good so some players went to them even as bridge natives, opposite to declan.
jtb pitch is in carbury parish too and sons of players from both sides are playing against their da's old club now.
loads of relatives have also knocked lumps out iof each other in the name when yellow and blue played green, white and blue.

beat me to it

Yeah the Farrells v Farrells was always a fantastic spectacle

My favourites were Colm and my fave ever Kildare player - Phelim from JTB.

Some fantastic scraps, and the Farrells alone would knock lumps out of each other.

AZOffaly

Offaly Westmeath on our side of the County, and up towards Rhode and Tullamore as well. Offaly Laois over towards Portarlington, Offaly Kildare around Edenderry. In hurling, Offaly - Galway is fairly intense around Banagher, and Offaly Tipp is a keen rivalry around Birr/Roscrea.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 15, 2006, 01:16:30 PM
Offaly Westmeath on our side of the County, and up towards Rhode and Tullamore as well. Offaly Laois over towards Portarlington, Offaly Kildare around Edenderry. In hurling, Offaly - Galway is fairly intense around Banagher, and Offaly Tipp is a keen rivalry around Birr/Roscrea.

Offaly , Kildare and Meath around Edenderry AZ !
Prob Westmeath a bit too

Kerry Mike

Cork would be our main rivals but with only 6 AI titles you have to have a certain level of sympathy with them, but 'Tis the season of goodwill to all, even the langers, so Happy Christmas and best wishes to Cork Footballers in 07 from the National League and All Ireland double winning champions in 2006.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

Ah yeah Lynchbhoy, but the main rivalry would be with Kildare up around there. A lot of the Carbury lads especially would be going to school and playing soccer in Edenderry.

We have a pile of rivalries, and we feel them all over the county, but the one that concentrates your mind most is the bunch that is closest to you. For us in Ferbane, that is the Moate/Athlone factor, so Westmeath.

maxpower

Don't really think Antrim have a real rivalery,

the club rivalery between dunloy and loughgiel can be intense
What happens next????