Davy Fitz. calls it a day

Started by mournerambler, March 31, 2008, 11:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mournerambler

Clare hurling legend Davy Fitzgerald has decided to end his distinguished inter-county career,possibly the best hurling goalkeeper of his generation, certainly the best that i have ever seen, thanks for the memories Davy.

Mentalman

Not always the most popular with non-Clare fans, but definitely one of the most committed,  to the extent that the odd time I thought he should be committed! The penalty against Kilkenny a few years back still brings a smile to my face, when the camera panned in and you could see him roaring the words "Come on Sheflin, ya big bollocks ya!".
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

The Claw

mannix

He was good alright but seemed very cranky.
Hope clare come good again soon, they were some team.

orangeman

Uladh

An integral part of the Clare revolution and in many ways he epitimosed their in your face mentality. a great keeper and a great competitor.

AZOffaly

Is this true? I notice it is posted before midnight last night, so it's not an April Fool I take it?

If so, I presume it is because of the hand injury, and it is a shame because he was within a couple of championship games of breaking the record. I never liked him on the pitch, I always though he was a whiney, argumentative wee shite, but I have to say he would be great if he was your goalkeeper. He was the heartbeat in many ways of that Clare team, and epitomised Ger Loughnane's attitude towards hurling and life in general.

Off the pitch, I met him a couple of times, and he was a nice, nice fella. I got the feeling he almost preferred to meet people from outside Clare, as he was subject to some awful rumours about his personal life within Clare.

Anyway, it's definitely a loss to Clare, and his row with Tony Considine last year now takes on a sadder note. Combined with the injury, it seems to have robbed him of a record, and Clare of a talisman and a leader, not to mention the rest of hurling with a pantomime villan. And they are needed too. I hope the injury doesn't stop him playing the golf, and he enjoys the retirement, although to be honest I doubt if it'll be long before he's training a county team himself.

thejuice

A great goalie and a fiery competitor. After 18 years you cant discredit him. He may have looked like he was arguementative but I think he was just that wrapped up in it all, dont think I saw men as fired up for a game as that Clare team, and Davey was one the players spearheading it. while its only my opinion and not to take from Davey, i would still rate Brendan Cummins higher than Davey Fitz
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Tippfan

stephenite

Quote from: thejuice on April 01, 2008, 09:39:36 AM
A great goalie and a fiery competitor. After 18 years you cant discredit him. He may have looked like he was arguementative but I think he was just that wrapped up in it all, dont think I saw men as fired up for a game as that Clare team, and Davey was one the players spearheading it. while its only my opinion and not to take from Davey, i would still rate Brendan Cummins higher than Davey Fitz

Was talking to a Clare selector from the early part of the decade, he told me Davy was like that in training. Fierce competitor to the extent of being a complete f**king nutjob once on a pitch. Apparently a sound enough man off it

The Claw

Quote from: Tippfan on April 01, 2008, 10:39:21 AM
Quote from: The Claw on April 01, 2008, 12:46:16 AM
Hurling section

Do you own this place or something?
Hurling topic, we have a hurling section, makes sense no?

I had the privilege (and misfortune) to be trained by Davy last year for one session. He's a psycho. The intensity at the session was unbelievable, doesn't stop shouting for the full hour. Great drills, great motivator. He says
'Lads, I guarantee ye no team in the country is training at this intensity', and I well believed him.

Doire abú

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 01, 2008, 09:32:11 AM
Is this true? I notice it is posted before midnight last night, so it's not an April Fool I take it?

If so, I presume it is because of the hand injury, and it is a shame because he was within a couple of championship games of breaking the record. I never liked him on the pitch, I always though he was a whiney, argumentative wee shite, but I have to say he would be great if he was your goalkeeper. He was the heartbeat in many ways of that Clare team, and epitomised Ger Loughnane's attitude towards hurling and life in general.

Off the pitch, I met him a couple of times, and he was a nice, nice fella. I got the feeling he almost preferred to meet people from outside Clare, as he was subject to some awful rumours about his personal life within Clare.

Anyway, it's definitely a loss to Clare, and his row with Tony Considine last year now takes on a sadder note. Combined with the injury, it seems to have robbed him of a record, and Clare of a talisman and a leader, not to mention the rest of hurling with a pantomime villan. And they are needed too. I hope the injury doesn't stop him playing the golf, and he enjoys the retirement, although to be honest I doubt if it'll be long before he's training a county team himself.

What record AZ?

AZOffaly

I think it's the record senior championship appearances for Clare, or maybe for anyone. Can't remember which. He was a game or two away I think. It's just a vague recollection of something I read back when he fell out with Considine.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 01, 2008, 01:42:58 PM
I think it's the record senior championship appearances for Clare, or maybe for anyone. Can't remember which. He was a game or two away I think. It's just a vague recollection of something I read back when he fell out with Considine.
I think its was Christy Rings record of appearing in 63 consecutive championship matches although I'm open to correction on this one! I think he was something like 3 games away from beating it.........................

AZOffaly

That could be it alright GallaimhIarthair. I know there was something around the time that Davy was 'retired' last year.