PuC and the Liam Miller Fundraiser

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Thurles, Limerick or De Páirc haven't got 40,000 seats.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omaghjoe

Quote from: dublin7 on September 28, 2018, 07:43:17 PM
The GAA has too many large grounds around the country. Thurles, Limerick and now cork all with 40k seater stadiums in munster alone. Might only be full once or twice a year if they are lucky.

Cork city have a ground with a capacity of 7/8k which suits  them perfectly. Hopefully Waterford co board show some common sense unlike their provincial colleagues and build a smaller ground more suitable to their needs.

GAA and soccer capacity requirements are different. Soccer clubs are looking to make their grounds as small as possible to suit their average gate as they need to turn a profit by keeping costs down. And the while GAA is also cost constrained it is geared much more towards its members needs than profit. So it leans more to accommodating its members and followers by allowing their grounds to be big enough so that everyone can attend big matches

7/8k seems large for a soccer club. How often do Cork city fill it?  Also didn't they go bust a few years back?

seafoid

The GAA has too many large grounds around the country. Thurles, Limerick and now cork all with 40k seater stadiums in munster alone. Might only be full once or twice a year if they are lucky.

Cork city have a ground with a capacity of 7/8k which suits  them perfectly. Hopefully Waterford co board show some common sense unlike their provincial colleagues and build a smaller ground more suitable to their needs.
Waterford had to play all of their home round robin games away this year. The new format increases demand for the bigger capacity grounds.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 28, 2018, 09:04:43 PM

GAA and soccer capacity requirements are different. Soccer clubs are looking to make their grounds as small as possible to suit their average gate as they need to turn a profit by keeping costs down. And the while GAA is also cost constrained it is geared much more towards its members needs than profit. So it leans more to accommodating its members and followers by allowing their grounds to be big enough so that everyone can attend big matches

7/8k seems large for a soccer club. How often do Cork city fill it?  Also didn't they go bust a few years back?
My IQ lowered reading that.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: snoopdog on September 28, 2018, 07:27:05 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 28, 2018, 05:15:27 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on September 28, 2018, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 28, 2018, 02:16:47 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on September 28, 2018, 11:06:02 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 27, 2018, 09:14:44 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on September 27, 2018, 12:04:58 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 25, 2018, 04:39:28 PM
Wonder how much will be raised and what they will do with the money? Was a figure released does anyone know?

I hope the Cork county board got their 30 pieces of silver anyway
was the issue not the 30m pieces they took?
every sport gets grants and it doest mean they no longer have any control over what happens their stadiums or facilities.that is a complete red herring

Who did they sell out . read a history book on the GAA will ye.
they opened the pitch to a crowd of backslapping  millionaires i what even they were ashamed to call a charity match .it was a PR excercize  most of them could easily written a cheque to cover what was made in ticket sales .  Soccer Is  the major competitor to the GAA and allowing them to Freeload on the stadiums built by hard Working GAA Club members while John Delaney pockets a fortune every year to lead what they claim is the biggest sport in the country which does not own one decent pitch and any decent players are sent aboard
ts vey sad That a young family man like Liam Miller died but playing a match in PUC will not do anything to alleviate that ,

Its not a red herring. The specific document they signed explicitly ceding control has been linked to. Cork County Board took money explicitly on the agreement they would host events like this.

It was a chatiry event, for a hospice, and you have no idea what individuals contributed.

You are blaming Delaney because there is more money in English soccer than Irish? Really? Out of interest what does his GAA equivalent earn?

They own plenty of decent stadia, thats a red herring. They just dont need a 45,000 seater in Cork. The place they have there is fit for purpose and better than most county grounds.

Its not about 'allieviating' his death. It was abour Cork celebrating him and making money for the hospice he died in. That this offends you says more about you then them. Duff wasnt completely wrong, you need watching.
Where are these decent stadia the FAI own? Bar Tallaght which was built by the city council. ?  Didnt cork citys shed blow away last year.
Soccer assosciations dont generally own stadia, usually the clubs do. The FAI as far as I know own (half) of LR, Turners Cross, Deacy Park and United Park. But my point was LoI faciities are the same as county grounds. Some good, some bad, some terrible, and rarely full. The difference is size, why would they build bigger?

I recall that. During a hurricane was it not? Is there a point there?
I would say very few soccer grounds are up to most county ground standards.

I disagree. How many county grounds are to the standard of Turners Cross or Tallaght? 5 or 6 tops. At club level GAA facilities are generally superior, but county grounds are neglected, especially in Leinster.

imtommygunn

Tullamore, portlaoise, nowlan park and maybe even wexford park (if that is what you call wexford's ground) are decent.

Munster is generally poorer i think.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2018, 10:00:43 PM

Do you mean better, or are you talking about Waterford?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2018, 10:00:43 PM
Tullamore, portlaoise, nowlan park and maybe even wexford park (if that is what you call wexford's ground) are decent.

And Louth, Meath and Wicklow dont have grounds approaching fut for purpose. Nor do Dublin, but at least its fit for humans.

Those mocking soccer facilities at stadium level are 10 years behind the times

Minder

Liam Miller tribute match at Pairc Ui Chaoimh raises €1.5m. €1m goes to Miller family, €250,000 to Marymount Hospice, eight other charities share the remaining quarter of a million euro
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: Minder on October 30, 2018, 02:20:13 PM
Liam Miller tribute match at Pairc Ui Chaoimh raises €1.5m. €1m goes to Miller family, €250,000 to Marymount Hospice, eight other charities share the remaining quarter of a million euro

Scandalous.

tiempo

Quote from: five points on October 31, 2018, 10:16:19 AM
Quote from: Minder on October 30, 2018, 02:20:13 PM

Scandalous.

Apparently Cork CB/GAA signed up for this by accepting a state grant to support redevelopment, in the previous page of this thread its referred to as a charity event for a hospice, well if the family of a sadly deceased millionaire footballer got x4 what the hospice did from proceedings then anyone associated with that should hang their heads in shame.

I'm sure the GAA will be wise to this next time, event titled "Player X Tribute Match" (devil in the detail eh...) should probably be turned away, event titled "Charity Event for Hospice X" I guess would be very welcome.

mrdeeds

Doesn't most of the money that goes to the family just pay the medical bills as he was treated in America.

rosnarun

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 31, 2018, 10:32:02 AM
Doesn't most of the money that goes to the family just pay the medical bills as he was treated in America.
of
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 28, 2018, 02:16:47 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on September 28, 2018, 11:06:02 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 27, 2018, 09:14:44 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on September 27, 2018, 12:04:58 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 25, 2018, 04:39:28 PM
Wonder how much will be raised and what they will do with the money? Was a figure released does anyone know?

I hope the Cork county board got their 30 pieces of silver anyway
was the issue not the 30m pieces they took?
every sport gets grants and it doest mean they no longer have any control over what happens their stadiums or facilities.that is a complete red herring

Who did they sell out . read a history book on the GAA will ye.
they opened the pitch to a crowd of backslapping  millionaires i what even they were ashamed to call a charity match .it was a PR excercize  most of them could easily written a cheque to cover what was made in ticket sales .  Soccer Is  the major competitor to the GAA and allowing them to Freeload on the stadiums built by hard Working GAA Club members while John Delaney pockets a fortune every year to lead what they claim is the biggest sport in the country which does not own one decent pitch and any decent players are sent aboard
ts vey sad That a young family man like Liam Miller died but playing a match in PUC will not do anything to alleviate that ,

Its not a red herring. The specific document they signed explicitly ceding control has been linked to. Cork County Board took money explicitly on the agreement they would host events like this.

It was a chatiry event, for a hospice, and you have no idea what individuals contributed.

You are blaming Delaney because there is more money in English soccer than Irish? Really? Out of interest what does his GAA equivalent earn?

They own plenty of decent stadia, thats a red herring. They just dont need a 45,000 seater in Cork. The place they have there is fit for purpose and better than most county grounds.

Its not about 'allieviating' his death. It was abour Cork celebrating him and making money for the hospice he died in. That this offends you says more about you then them. Duff wasnt completely wrong, you need watching.
do you still think  this was a Charidee event . as I said all along it was a publicly event for the participants and a fundraiser for a millionaire's widow .
their tragedy was losing a husband and father not being poor  , if the players wer so worried about the millers finances they could easily have done a whip round amonst themselves and raised a lot more
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere