Jim Gavin joins up with Mickey Harte

Started by seafoid, February 14, 2018, 02:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Quote from: BennyCake on February 14, 2018, 10:55:24 PM
Other than Davey Fitz I couldn't care less if I heard any managers interviewed ever again. Pundits the same.

Do what TG4 do Monday nights. Show the highlights, then feck off.

+1.

Games are not won by talking to the media.

I hope more managers follow suit with RTE who have gotten away with murder over the years.

Wildweasel74

Just 2 football dictators who dont get their way!

Jell 0 Biafra

I thought more of you would be happy you didn't have to listen to Gavin after Dublin matches.  No pleasing some people.

mup

Oh don't get us wrong. The last thing people want to listen to is Jim's banal talk.

I guess people are getting sick of Dublin GAA's attempt to control RTE and the GAA. In less than 6 months we've had the Diarmuid Connolly incident, the gym at Abbotstown and now this. When things don't go as they want they act like petulant children.

Duine Eile

Main Street

Jim won't be able to last the relentless pace set by Mickey

Mickey Harte hits out at 'agenda against Tyrone

When asked if Tyrone sometimes got excessive blame for defensive football, he said,
"Yes, but we don't want to be sounding like the victim".

but
"There is all signs of an agenda against Tyrone..."

Aaron Boone

The bigger story is what RTE were providing for Dublin.

magpie seanie

RTE are a joke organisation. Ryle bloody Nugent is head of sport for heavens sake. Don't waste your comments on them.

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on February 15, 2018, 08:21:47 AM
Quote from: trileacman on February 15, 2018, 02:04:15 AM
Quote from: longballin on February 14, 2018, 08:45:22 PM
Quote from: heffo on February 14, 2018, 08:41:56 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 14, 2018, 08:34:46 PM
It was really just rte saying f**k off Harte and keep your nose out of our business. Couldn't blame them for it although they could have done it with a bit  more tact.

Their response taking the piss out of him trying to influence Carty's position was right.

Playing the song and the reference/connection to Michaela was beyond awful and if they were truly sorry, the RTE Director General and Head of Sport would've been on Harte's doorstep the next day.

I really dont believe it was a reference to Michaela... Jesus! no way.

It may not have been deliberate but still doesn't excuse the fact it was in very poor taste. Look at Barry Mc elduff and kingsmilgate, it may not have been deliberate but all the same a simple apology couldn't take it back. Same in this case of hartes and RTÉ.

Yeah I think McElduff should not have been cast into the wilderness. I dont see why players are also made to not speak to RTE if Mickey doesnt want to fair enough. If was so deeply held conviction by players they would still hold the line after their Tyrone careers were over. Harte was furious with Cavanagh and others for going on RTE after and I know thats true from one of them.

It's all part of being part of the team, supporting each other, togetherness etc. Fairly common in team sports. Tyrone lads still don't have beards you know. Once they made the commitment to beards they weren't committed for the rest of their lives. Once they left the team they were free to shave. Though Ricey does seem to want to keep his.

There's a difference between a player giving a bland comment after a game on behalf of the team and a player being a paid analyst on the Sunday Game and not part of the team anymore.
That was never a square ball!!

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 16, 2018, 12:26:09 AM
It was really just rte saying f**k off Harte and keep your nose out of our business. Couldn't blame them for it although they could have done it with a bit  more tact.

Their response taking the piss out of him trying to influence Carty's position was right.

Playing the song and the reference/connection to Michaela was beyond awful and if they were truly sorry, the RTE Director General and Head of Sport would've been on Harte's doorstep the next day.

It may not have been deliberate but still doesn't excuse the fact it was in very poor taste. Look at Barry Mc elduff and kingsmilgate, it may not have been deliberate but all the same a simple apology couldn't take it back. Same in this case of hartes and RTÉ.

Yeah I think McElduff should not have been cast into the wilderness. I dont see why players are also made to not speak to RTE if Mickey doesnt want to fair enough. If was so deeply held conviction by players they would still hold the line after their Tyrone careers were over. Harte was furious with Cavanagh and others for going on RTE after and I know thats true from one of them.

It's all part of being part of the team, supporting each other, togetherness etc. Fairly common in team sports. Tyrone lads still don't have beards you know. Once they made the commitment to beards they weren't committed for the rest of their lives. Once they left the team they were free to shave. Though Ricey does seem to want to keep his.

There's a difference between a player giving a bland comment after a game on behalf of the team and a player being a paid analyst on the Sunday Game and not part of the team anymore.

Cavanagh within 24 hours on RTE some team bond that   ::)  Harte was furious. In 2008 most of them didn't grow beards as it was not compulsory

redzone

Quote from: longballin on February 16, 2018, 10:11:43 AM

Cavanagh within 24 hours on RTE some team bond that   ::)  Harte was furious. In 2008 most of them didn't grow beards as it was not compulsory

Christ. You just don't want to accept why they are doing it. How long do u think cavanagh should have kept up his ban, bare in mind he had a media career ahead of him

longballin

Quote from: redzone on February 16, 2018, 10:24:44 AM
Quote from: longballin on February 16, 2018, 10:11:43 AM

Christ. You just don't want to accept why they are doing it. How long do u think cavanagh should have kept up his ban, bare in mind he had a media career ahead of him

there you go: principled stand v £s

easytiger95

very curious story - the Dublin v Tyrone game is broadcast live on Eir, so if they wanted a DVD of the high behind camera it would be Eir they would be asking (and it is a very standard request - most IC teams look for it when they are playing a live TV fixture).

I'd say this is garbled up a bit - maybe it relates to DVD provision during last year's championship, because it makes no sense as Eir and TG4 are the rights holders.

Dinny Breen

Is this just not a symptom of a wider issue, Martin O'Neill, Jim Gavin, Mickey Harte, Joe Schmidt are all intelligent articulate men yet of all have taking umbrage with the Irish media at certain stages.

RTE's coverage is always negative, ffs they tweeted a 2/3 minute analysis from Tomas O'Se on the Tyrone/Kildare game calling Tyrone too defensive and negative and Kildare clueless, poor click bait shit.
And Newspapers are a dying media and are trying to be more and more sensationalist and see sport as an opportunity to drive that sensationalism. You have the Examiners Brendan O'Brien whinging about the IRFU and censorship on Off The Ball, yet Newstalk ban Irish Times journalists, the hypocrisy of these guys is unbelievable.

This is sport after all, not politics. Sport is the bridge between reality and dreams and a lot of the Irish media need to remember that for vast majority of the population sport is escapism, yes highlight issues but stopping doing it in such a way as if it is the most important thing in the world, it's not....

#newbridgeornowhere

TheGreatest

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 16, 2018, 10:38:16 AM
very curious story - the Dublin v Tyrone game is broadcast live on Eir, so if they wanted a DVD of the high behind camera it would be Eir they would be asking (and it is a very standard request - most IC teams look for it when they are playing a live TV fixture).

I'd say this is garbled up a bit - maybe it relates to DVD provision during last year's championship, because it makes no sense as Eir and TG4 are the rights holders.

What I have heard its not matches involving Dublin that are being requested, EIR don't have camera's at every Div 1 and 2 match like RTE have and I also believe its the high up behind the goal angle camera that EIR don't use.