Gaillimh v Maigh Eo, Staid na Gaoithe, 1400, 10-Fea-2018

Started by macdanger2, February 05, 2018, 10:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

I'm sure he will play but you'd be slightly concerned about Comer's workload lately. The past few weeks he's had games for NUIG midweek and Galway at the weekend. And that will continue into next week at the very least. I know he's young and built like a brick shithouse but it's a lot of intense gametime this early in the year. I guess Peter Cooke and Sean Kelly have been in the same boat as him but Comer does everything at 100mph. You don't want him knackered by May.

Actually just read a poster on another forum who was at the game and thought he looked tired against UCC last night.

whitey

Comer hit the Mayo boys a few great rattles last summer......I wonder if he will be in the crosshairs come the weekend. 

Crete Boom

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 08, 2018, 12:37:47 PM
I'm sure he will play but you'd be slightly concerned about Comer's workload lately. The past few weeks he's had games for NUIG midweek and Galway at the weekend. And that will continue into next week at the very least. I know he's young and built like a brick shithouse but it's a lot of intense gametime this early in the year. I guess Peter Cooke and Sean Kelly have been in the same boat as him but Comer does everything at 100mph. You don't want him knackered by May.

Actually just read a poster on another forum who was at the game and thought he looked tired against UCC last night.

It's such bullshit that Comer and players like him have so many games in February, time to do away with the FBD and the likes and play the Sigerson in January on its own!!

ballinaman

macdanger2

Quote from: Crete Boom on February 08, 2018, 06:57:28 PM

It's such bullshit that Comer and players like him have so many games in February, time to do away with the FBD and the likes and play the Sigerson in January on its own!!

Tbf, the managers should just choose not to play these lads

macdanger2

Quote from: ballinaman on February 08, 2018, 07:40:25 PM
Cian Hanley coming home from AFL. Well now....

I thought Brisbane had resigned him? Tough on him if it hasn't worked out

twohands!!!

Looking at the team lists for the Sigerson games, there was quite a few lads across the various counties who played both Sigerson and NFL games over the last while. A few seemed to have picked up injuries - Powter from Cork and a couple of the Kerry lads, but even for the lads who don't pick up injuries I wouldn't be surprised if a fair few of the Sigerson&NFL players they have a drop-off in form later in the year. Even aside from the games - the Sigerson can involve a bit of travel, which is something lads who are already away at 3rd level and travelling to away NFL games plus travelling to training hardly need any more of.

Syferus

When is the last time a lad who has came back from an extended stay in Australia had much of an impact? Marty Clarke? The sad reality is the reason most return is they're crocked. Cian got a very bad blow doing the knee in the minor AISF so he even went over with health concerns.

The lad will have to rebuild his life at home given he went straight over as a minor and I doubt he went to college there.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 08, 2018, 07:43:05 PM

I thought Brisbane had resigned him? Tough on him if it hasn't worked out
Tough on him alright as he thought he would make it out there like his older brother. He'll need to be showing well for Ballagh to get a call up to senior panel so 2019 at the earliest i'd say.

Lar Naparka

Anytime I went to this pitch before I was driving but this time I plan to take the train. So I don't know the best way to get there from the railway station. I guess it's about three miles so I ain't gonna walk there because the weather will probably be bad.
What's the best way to get there; bus, taxi, rickshaw or whatever?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tatler Jack

There is a good bus service from city centre to Salthill Lar - 401 I think. I walked from station in July - took about 40 mins. Nice exercise.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Tatler Jack on February 09, 2018, 10:37:00 AM
There is a good bus service from city centre to Salthill Lar - 401 I think. I walked from station in July - took about 40 mins. Nice exercise.
Thanks Jack. I wouldn't mind walking myself but not at this time of year. Odd are it will be cold, wet and windy. In other words, a typical Salthill day. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 08, 2018, 11:00:44 PM
Anytime I went to this pitch before I was driving but this time I plan to take the train. So I don't know the best way to get there from the railway station. I guess it's about three miles so I ain't gonna walk there because the weather will probably be bad.
What's the best way to get there; bus, taxi, rickshaw or whatever?

Walk it ya lazy bollix, it'll take you 30-40 mins

A game we have to win I think both for laying down a marker and our league safety. We have Dublin up next so could be looking at 2 pts from four games if we dont

Cann't wait for the May game, I think it will be the best in years
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

rosnarun

Quote from: Crete Boom on February 08, 2018, 06:57:28 PM

all very well in theory mayo had one weekend off the FBD and what did they do play a challange against NUIG(or GMIT?) who were removed from the competition to ease the schedule.

how about a combined FBD McKenna obyrne cup etc in January  confined to 3rd level students, Most of mayos FBD team were students anyway
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

galwayman

Quote from: Tatler Jack on February 09, 2018, 10:37:00 AM
Yeah should be regular enough buses going out that side. Probably about €15 in a taxi.
As regards walking - have done this loads of times - probably the best route is to head down Shop Street, over the bridge and walk down through Dominick Street & Sea Road into Lower Salthill (you come out near Wards pub).
A few hundred metres down the road then turn right into Devon Park which brings you through to the stadium.
No need to go through the village itself to get to the stadium.
I park near Wards hotel most days for work and it takes me somewhere between 10-15 mins to walk into Quay Street in the city centre.