Author Topic: We need to talk about Cillian O'Connor  (Read 4215 times)

Jinxy

• View Profile
Re: We need to talk about Cillian O'Connor
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 01:23:39 PM »
PJ Loftus was always a great man to get a goal.
Unfortunately, he moved to the States.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

joemamas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
Mayo should get an interpol search warrant for Larry Óg
 Finnerty and any other ethnic Mayo people living in the diaspora who can score points or ,even better , goals. One last push could swing it.

Maybe time to reign it in a bit.
I have witnessed a lot of gutless Galway performances in Croke Park over the last decade, even though I was hoping they would win.

Kerry 2017
Tipperary 2016
Donegal 2015
Kerry 2014

BTW, any thoughts on Conroy standing/stamping on O Connor.

Orchard park

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 01:35:36 PM »
Mayo should get an interpol search warrant for Larry Óg
 Finnerty and any other ethnic Mayo people living in the diaspora who can score points or ,even better , goals. One last push could swing it.

Maybe time to reign it in a bit.
I have witnessed a lot of gutless Galway performances in Croke Park over the last decade, even though I was hoping they would win.

Kerry 2017
Tipperary 2016
Donegal 2015
Kerry 2014

BTW, any thoughts on Conroy standing/stamping on O Connor.

o'connor failed to roll out of the way so fair game.......................

sorry wrong code

PW Nally

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »
Not going to lie, I can’t stand him. Have noticed this stuff for a long time now. Even in the first half yesterday he got away with a dirty elbow.

you'd prob think differently if you where a Mayo man

the very best free takers (eg himself and Dean Rock, who are the best around) are worth their weight in gold, especially with many free's occurring in or around the 45 metre line. COC gets dogs abuse from many defenders and bites back on occasion. He definitely overstepped the mark yesterday. Quality player

Intentionally elbowing a defenseless player in the head is way more than overstepping the mart, he could have caused serious injury and should be banned for a decent amount of time.  There's no place in football for that type of mma crap ....
That's not "fair".
What's the punishment for this, castration? Spanked by the birch? Doffing his head to all those who resent his scoring feats?

Deservedly red carded yesterday.

Beffs

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
"Frustration" my eye.

I get frustrated when I can't open a jam jar. This is a lot more than that.

He's been dishing out sneaky elbows for years & getting away with it.

He was stupid enough to do something in plain sight of the ref & got a deserved red card. About bloody time too.

Am amazed he didn't spend the rest of the game whinging to the ref, which seems to be his second favorite pass time.

Thoroughly dislikable player. Has zero pace & does very little from open play. Is of no use at all to Mayo, if he doesn't get his shit together on the frees.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 01:38:37 PM »
"Frustration" my eye.

I get frustrated when I can't open a jam jar. This is a lot more than that.

He's been dishing out sneaky elbows for years & getting away with it.

He was stupid enough to do something in plain sight of the ref & got a deserved red card. About bloody time too.

Am amazed he didn't spend the rest of the game whinging to the ref, which seems to be his second favorite pass time.

Thoroughly dislikable player. Has zero pace & does very little from open play. Is of no use at all to Mayo, if he doesn't get his shit together on the frees.

so how would you be with boys pulling, sledging, nipping at you at every turn if you're frustrated at an inanimate object?

another myth that posters on this board continue to peddle. I've seen the man playing in the flesh a good few times between league and championship, have never seen him not having a fair influence (and I'm not including his performance with the dead ball, of which he is 1 of the 2 best in the country) on proceedings. In the next big Mayo game, count how often the man is on the ball in open play. Bar Dublin, maybe Kerry depending on how Clifford shapes up, he'd walk onto any other team in the country

Orchard park

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 03:18:06 PM »
does COC get any more niggling than any other forward in the game....... or is he the one who bitches and moans to refs most........

he wouldnt walk onto the teams you think he would............do you think Donegal would have him ahead of paddy mc Brearty............my hole they would

rosnarun

• Maigheo Abú
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »
does COC get any more niggling than any other forward in the game....... or is he the one who bitches and moans to refs most........

he wouldnt walk onto the teams you think he would............do you think Donegal would have him ahead of paddy mc Brearty............my hole they would
in a shot they would Mcbreaty is windy at best, sure going through an amazing spell at the minute but lets wait awhile see how long this run lasts.
where as o connor is  consistently consistent   in the the championship
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »

I know in the past Donegal had a single forward on the pitch, but times have changed up the north-west and I'd say they would happily accommodate COC . McBrearty is having a very good league campaign, bu take a look at the championship scoring records back til 2013

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »
Sure he's not near the best forward in Mayo. Andy Moran is clearly better than him. He's a good enough freetaker from inside 35-40m (except for that little patch to the left of the canal goal).

His carry on is exactly the type of stuff Mayo supporters would be going mad about if he played for Dublin. He really walks a fine line. Some day he might get disciplined incorrectly or overly harshly and there will be a big outcry but when you sail so close to the wind so often.....

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 04:55:16 PM »
Lee Keegan walks a fine line. COC trots over the line every match he plays at the pace of a tortoise.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 08:08:21 PM »
His form has definitely regressed over the last 2 or 3 years, whether injuries or burnout could be blamed I'm not sure but he hasn't hit the heights of his 2013/14 performances. You would think he should be coming into his prime now but it is not the case and with his crankiness and ill discipline becoming more of an issue which will be picked upon.

larryin89

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2018, 08:39:48 PM »
Cillian should be arrested , hes a complete thug and hes shite at football.  You can see evidence of how shite he is through the comments of opposing county supporters , they all actually hate him and everything they say is true and completely warranted.
Not a sheep stole in Castlebar since 1986.

Lar Naparka

• I just know this is gonna be our year!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2018, 10:00:37 PM »
I think one of the reasons Cillian is so cranky most of the time is that he just doesn't have the pace to put any distance between himself and his opponent.
He always seems to be wrestling with defenders as he can't get away from them.
I'd imagine over the course of a game this amount of close contact leads to a lot of pent-up frustration and agitation.
He's a bit of a throw-back in that regard as it is pretty much a prerequisite in the modern game that if you are going to play in the inside line you need to be quick.
I think you got it in one. He would be one helluva player if only he had that explosive 5 yard spurt that all good forwards have.
I know his colleagues rate him highly and I have to admit that I don't agree with them but obviously they know him a lot better than I do. A bit like the proverbial lighthouse in a bog- brilliant but ultimately useless!

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2018, 10:04:44 PM »
I think one of the reasons Cillian is so cranky most of the time is that he just doesn't have the pace to put any distance between himself and his opponent.
He always seems to be wrestling with defenders as he can't get away from them.
I'd imagine over the course of a game this amount of close contact leads to a lot of pent-up frustration and agitation.
He's a bit of a throw-back in that regard as it is pretty much a prerequisite in the modern game that if you are going to play in the inside line you need to be quick.
I think you got it in one. He would be one helluva player if only he had that explosive 5 yard spurt that all good forwards have.
I know his colleagues rate him highly and I have to admit that I don't agree with them but obviously they know him a lot better than I do. A bit like the proverbial lighthouse in a bog- brilliant but ultimately useless!

Depends on the bog.