Longford
Offaly
Sligo
Westmeath
Wexford

stew

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 11, 2018, 03:45:44 PM
Feck it. We blew it but then Armagh had shocking wides

Was sitting beside four Longford people, they were right, they deserved at least the draw if not the win but conceded Armagh missed enough chances to win three games, tactically Armagh were a disaster with the extra man and we often had four men back when there was only the Longford FF in out half, and we were very slow to get men forward.

It was a niggly game, a few poor tackles by both sides and you had the standard baffling decisions from the referee, there was not a whole pile of quality on offer but the last ten to fifteen minutes were nerve jangling and the crowd really helped us over the line.

I felt bad for Longford, they played hard but I think the first half killed them, they were content to fart about with the ball in the half back line when playing with the wind and downhill, they would have won this if they had been mosr ambitious, anyhow, a perfect start for us and it is hard to see who is going to stop us from winning the division or at least gaining promotion, albeit a year late.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: T Fearon on February 11, 2018, 04:39:02 PM
Shamrock I missed you! Don't know how Longford lost that one.I'm sure you saw the Cathedral and the school right beside it on the hill.That's St Pat's College mine and Barry Devlin of Horslips old school though he was a few years before me.

Imagine missing The Plague by a few years....lucky Barry!

Throw ball

Poor enough today. The pitch is the worst I have seen it since the new Athletic Grounds opened. Longford are no bad team but they spend a lot of time playing in triangles with little progress. They are well organised and will be pushing for promotion. I was the other end of the field so not sure if penalty was right or not but Donaghy looked incensed. To be fair it looked a penalty from where I sat.
That is the worst Armagh have played this year but they ground out a victory. The strike from Rafferty for the goal was worth paying in for. Last year Armagh would not have ground out a result. It wasn't pretty in the last few minutes but Mccory has obviously brought a bit of something to the table.

Patrick-Armagh

Armagh were awful today and somehow won a game we scarcely deserved to get a point from. I thought that Longford were the better team for the most part and will be massively disappointed not to have gotten at least a draw. Had they not had a man sent off, I think they would have won. Despite having two impressive wins so far, Armagh are still Division 3 team which means they can't be relied on to be consistent. Our play today was ridden with errors, inaccuracy and bad decision making. Some of the wides we hit from frees were absolutely awful and could have cost us. Ethan Rafferty was our stand out player today and there wasn't really anyone else who made much of an impression. I thought that today we really missed our best forwards that aren't available. We needed to have that bit of skill and craft to open them up and we didn't have it. Ethan Rafferty is a monster and can barge his way over a lot of players, but that isn't a tactic that will work against the best teams, which is one worry I have for later in the year. But we won, remain unbeaten, are still top and look like we're going to get promoted, so that's a positive. That type of performance may also be useful as reminder to the team that they can't take anything for granted and we have to perform in each game. It doesn't just happen, you have to work hard for it. Hopefully we will see a better performance against Offaly.

Shamrock Shore

It's the strangest feeling going to a match hoping not to be slaughtered and then coming away disappointed that you didn't win.

God I would have savoured the victory - but down a man for 25+ mins had to eventually cost us.

It was an enjoyable game - hardly great quality - but enough to keep the heart racing.

Did the ref feck us in the end? Was it a free out for us just before Armagh got the goal? I dunno. Look it was a frantic finish with cards galore and it was hard to keep up with it all. We lost, but we died with the boots on.

I missed saying hello to forum lads here. I was in the centre of the main stand. Beside some Armagh auld wans who seem to think opposition players can only step once with the ball.

I'll be hearing "SCHTEPS REF" in me dreams.

Night!

I would love to say we're looking good for a respectable League. Next game is home v Wexford. Armagh should have no trouble against Offaly.

T Fearon

I was sitting beside the father of a famous ex Armagh player and the names and expletives he called every Armagh player all day was unbelievable.Then he said calmly to me at the end "It was great to get a win there!"😂😂

Captain Obvious

A win is a win for Armagh and the type of grind out win that is more useful moving forward to what should be promotion and league final in Croke park.

T Fearon

Exactly.We had three points only (and a home defeat to Laois) after three games last year with all the big names

Orchard park

How much did geezer drop to the ref ????

I spoke to Denis Connerton  tonight and have never heard a ,manager as deflated about refereeing

tonto1888

Quote from: Orchard park on February 11, 2018, 10:59:46 PM

I spoke to Denis Connerton  tonight and have never heard a ,manager as deflated about refereeing

The ref made a lot of baffling decisions. Some benefitted Longford

Orchard park

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 11, 2018, 11:02:39 PM

The ref made a lot of baffling decisions. Some benefitted Longford

A minority I'm told but the complaint wasnt  on bias alone it was on ineptitude as a starting  point

Throw ball

That is scandalous.  The referee gave poor decisions against both teams. The red card was for 2 high tackles and both black cards were correct. Armagh had a couple of black cards too. Longford would be better concentrating on improving their tackling. They had a few other neck high tackles too. The free at the end mentioned on tv is one that you get some days and not on other days. Truth is Longford played well Armagh didn't but got lucky and won.

Orchard park

24 vs  12 frees I think  Longford stats show this % of frees conceded has never happened under Denis Connerton  before.......

And before you get on yiur high horse the comment 're geezer paying off the ref off was in jest. ( though if he did its claimed back already)

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 11, 2018, 03:04:14 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 11, 2018, 02:52:46 PM
My arse is frozen but we're ahead so fingers crossed. No sign of Tony Fearon. Is he tall?

Round
Joke of the year
Careful now

Throw ball

Quote from: Orchard park on February 11, 2018, 11:15:54 PM
24 vs  12 frees I think  Longford stats show this % of frees conceded has never happened under Denis Connerton  before.......

And before you get on yiur high horse the comment 're geezer paying off the ref off was in jest. ( though if he did its claimed back already)

I still believe Longford committed a serious amount of stupid fouls. The referee did not have a great game in my opinion but the suggestion that he favoured Armagh is wide of the mark. We can also quote statistics all night. Longford scored 1-5 out of 110 from frees. Armagh scored 2 out of 1.11. I think Geezer quoted that Armagh scored 12 out of 34 scoring chances. That gives Armagh things to work on. Longford should lick their wounds and walk on. They still have a great chance of promotion. I hope we meet in league final.