Derry
Fermanagh
Longford
Offaly
Sligo
Westmeath
Wexford

sligoman2

Fermanagh neat Sligo by 5 . Typical ulster shyte defensive play but I suppose it works.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

FermGael

Quote from: sligoman2 on February 18, 2018, 03:54:21 PM
Fermanagh neat Sligo by 5 . Typical ulster shyte defensive play but I suppose it works.

Fermanagh did enough without really having to get out of second gear.
It was not pretty but was effective.
Have not got a clue what the Sligo game plan was to be honest.

Tougher games now lie ahead starting with Derry next Saturday night.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

magpie seanie

Honestly - if that's the impression you got from Ocean FM you need to write an email to ask the station to change their commentary team. There was only one team who had an attacking plan in this game and unfortunately it wasn't Sligo. I'll give a more in depth write up later.....frustrating and not good enough in parts but I'm still positive overall. Aido and Kevin Mc back is huge for us. We've a lot to work on but we have to be realistic. Fermanagh are a good side who are going well. This game won't define our league.

tonto1888

I suppose the 2-17 armagh racked up against you was typical Ulster shyte defensive play too?

sligoman2

No- Armagh play more open football.

It sounded like it was 15 behind the ball at all times for Fermanagh, which is  what Gallagher did with Donegal.  No debate on who were the better team, I'm just tired of not seeing open football anymore.
Agree with you Seanie on the future, Aido is a great addition and great to see McDonnell back.

Congrats Fermanagh - keep it open...

Walter Cronc

Sounded like? So you weren't actually at the game?

magpie seanie

From a Sligo perspective I could sense the over reaction to today before I made my way to the exit after the final whistle. I'm not quite that downbeat. Going in there today I thought it a tough ask against a team that is going very well. We've a few major players only just back in the fold and a lot of young lads getting blooded. In that context, being 3 points down heading into injury time was not too bad.

Big disappointment was our attacking play. Whatever plan we had simply didn't work but what we saw out there made no sense. Personally I felt it was a day to try a few long deliveries into Murphy and Hughes but instead we had Hughes and wing forward struggling with the Fermanagh number 5 and Murphy eventually drifting out the field. His point, Sligo's 4th, was an example of what could have worked but when we did have targets inside we were too slow either coming out from the back or deciding to play it in. This needs a lot of work. I think we need to be more direct and quicker and think it's within the group to improve hugely here. Would have liked to see more of Finian Cawley and Sean Carrabine. Was slightly surprised to see both them and McHugh subbed when they were but perhaps there were injuries or factors not obvious to me.

Positives? Defensively, we looked solid for the most part and tackled fairly and honestly. This builds on what I thought I'd seen in the Wexford game. Fermanagh were pretty impressive and fast getting the ball moved up the field but we got set up much quicker than against Wexford. We needed to as Fermanagh were dangerous inside with Jones and Quigley. Thought our FB line coped pretty well....McGuinness and Nicholson doing well again. Was great to see Adrian McIntyre back and he had a fine game. He lost a ball which looked tired but I wouldn't have taken him off. Had a huge influence for us especially when you consider he's only back. Also just brilliant to see Kevin McDonnell back. 3 games in a week for him.....great to see after all his injury woes. Liam Gaughan's cameo as a sub was extremely promising, he has massive potential. We're in a much better place numbers wise that we were at the start of the league.

For us it's about survival. The games look tough but we need to eke out a win or two and I just have a feeling that we will. A lot of work to be done though to bring about the improvement I think we can make.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 18, 2018, 08:27:08 PM
From a Sligo perspective I could sense the over reaction to today before I made my way to the exit after the final whistle. I'm not quite that downbeat. Going in there today I thought it a tough ask against a team that is going very well. We've a few major players only just back in the fold and a lot of young lads getting blooded. In that context, being 3 points down heading into injury time was not too bad.

Big disappointment was our attacking play. Whatever plan we had simply didn't work but what we saw out there made no sense. Personally I felt it was a day to try a few long deliveries into Murphy and Hughes but instead we had Hughes and wing forward struggling with the Fermanagh number 5 and Murphy eventually drifting out the field. His point, Sligo's 4th, was an example of what could have worked but when we did have targets inside we were too slow either coming out from the back or deciding to play it in. This needs a lot of work. I think we need to be more direct and quicker and think it's within the group to improve hugely here. Would have liked to see more of Finian Cawley and Sean Carrabine. Was slightly surprised to see both them and McHugh subbed when they were but perhaps there were injuries or factors not obvious to me.

Positives? Defensively, we looked solid for the most part and tackled fairly and honestly. This builds on what I thought I'd seen in the Wexford game. Fermanagh were pretty impressive and fast getting the ball moved up the field but we got set up much quicker than against Wexford. We needed to as Fermanagh were dangerous inside with Jones and Quigley. Thought our FB line coped pretty well....McGuinness and Nicholson doing well again. Was great to see Adrian McIntyre back and he had a fine game. He lost a ball which looked tired but I wouldn't have taken him off. Had a huge influence for us especially when you consider he's only back. Also just brilliant to see Kevin McDonnell back. 3 games in a week for him.....great to see after all his injury woes. Liam Gaughan's cameo as a sub was extremely promising, he has massive potential. We're in a much better place numbers wise that we were at the start of the league.

For us it's about survival. The games look tough but we need to eke out a win or two and I just have a feeling that we will. A lot of work to be done though to bring about the improvement I think we can make.

Armagh got robbed in Sligo last year, absolutely robbed, I would love to see Armagh pound on ye but ya never know.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

armaghniac

Quote from: stew on February 18, 2018, 10:36:35 PM
Armagh got robbed in Sligo last year, absolutely robbed, I would love to see Armagh pound on ye but ya never know.

My prediction for this year, Armagh 2-17 Sligo 0-9.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

Quote from: armaghniac on February 18, 2018, 11:41:03 PM

I will go for the same score. Just a hunch.

armaghniac

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 19, 2018, 12:02:09 AM

Will any bookie take us on, I wonder?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Shamrock Shore

Armagh lads looking for the love I see  :-\

Next weekend sees Wexford travel to pearse park.

Have to win this to stay in touch and not get dragged down into a battle.

Mid league predictions from me sees Armagh and Fermanagh up and Wexford and Offaly doomed.

sligoman2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 18, 2018, 07:43:39 PM
Sounded like? So you weren't actually at the game?

Correct Walter, but I was lucky enough to be born with 2 ears and a bit of a brain so when the commentator said 50 times that "Fermanagh have funneled back all 15 players inside the 50", I can make the connection.

It seems Fermanagh are a good outfit, with some really good players, I just hate watching the hand passing and rubbish that goes on around the 45, when the other team have 15 men back.  Again, no complaints about who the better team was...

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: armaghniac on February 19, 2018, 12:45:51 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 19, 2018, 12:02:09 AM

Will any bookie take us on, I wonder?
Stews bookie might lol
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

FermGael

Paudie Hughes down to referee Fermanagh and Derry.
Why would the gaa send an Armagh man to do this ?
Surely they can see a potential conflict of interest .

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered